Dean Smith

Demitri_C

6 minutes ago, commander said:

I've tweaked the wording as I probably didn't explain it well enough. YEs he deserves credit for keeping us up and for te great start, but as much as he needs credit for those he needs critiscm for the capituation and complete lack of fight and desire. 

Agree that our players aren't the greatest (but I think most peole would take our squad over Leeds or Southampton? I certainly would) but there appears to be no repercusion of poor performances.

Southampton have a better squad than us. They are in much better form than us. 

Leeds don't but they beat us and played well, it happens. We've done it to teams better than us in Liverpool and Leicester. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

Everton lose 2 in a row, they have 1 pt more than us and we have a game in hand. 

Wonder if they have a group of fans ready to jump on the manager. 

For me, it's not us losing, it's the manner of two complete capitulations!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, commander said:

I think its being made way too much of. 

Leeds was more down to them than us. They were relentless and that's the best 90 minutes they've put in all season as far as I've seen. 

Today, individual errors put us in dangerous situations but world class goals have hurt us. I don't think we did just capitulate. We ended up over 90 mins dominating possession and shots. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, commander said:

Everton were absolutely awful for 2 consecutive games. They showed nothing.

Leeds was poor, but today we played well second half. Actually won the second half 3-1. Deservedly. Still positives to take from today. Everton can walk away from today's game with no positives. Not one.

• Like 2

Not sure what it has to do with Smith but Everton are very much a victim of their own hype and good start. People got too excited and were talking about top 4 and even title challenging, they have improved their squad but still have quite a gap to bridge, particularly at the back and reliance on DCL maintaining his ridiculous start.

• Like 1

My biggest fear is that Dean Smith has more belief in certain players than they are capable of. 

The first on my list in Tyrone Mings. He was capable of a mistake in the championship and nothing has changed. He's a collossus and if capable enough would easily be Captain material but, even without Grealish, I wouldn't make him Captain. A true leader, today, would not have left McGinn 1 v 1 with their tallest player at a free kick. Then, we concede a goal from a central free kick 20+ yards from goal. The same scenario arises shortly afterwards and, if I was Captain or part of the defence, I'd be telling the keeper we are having one on the same post. It didn't happen. In fact, the wall was wide apart and Mings was the only one that didn't jump. 

Watkins didn't pressure the Leeds centre backs at all last game and he produced the same performance again today. As the lone striker you simply cannot stroll through a game hoping for the ball to find you. He is young and has little PL experience but he needs to learn quick otherwise a fit Wesley will be taking that starting position. 

McGinn. No way is he the same player we had in the Championship and, at the start of last season. If he is we will need to look at that position because today he was anonymous. I mean, he was better post lockdown last season and that's saying something. 

Barkley. He has to instruct him to pass the ball to other players and not just Grealish. Was it any coincendenxe that Trezeguet had three chances second half when they started playing the ball that way? First half, everything went through Grealish. Traore even went his side of the pitch looking for the ball. We have to stop this otherwise we become way too easy to play against. 

• Like 1

Did Smith not say to them, "what ever you do, do not give Ward-Prowse the chance for a free kick in the danger area". Then we go ahead and give him 3???

Motivation has always been a problem with Smith, as well as defence. He may be a gooden, but his faults continue to raise there ugly head.

3 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

My biggest fear is that Dean Smith has more belief in certain players than they are capable of. 

The first on my list in Tyrone Mings. He was capable of a mistake in the championship and nothing has changed. He's a collossus and if capable enough would easily be Captain material but, even without Grealish, I wouldn't make him Captain. A true leader, today, would not have left McGinn 1 v 1 with their tallest player at a free kick. Then, we concede a goal from a central free kick 20+ yards from goal. The same scenario arises shortly afterwards and, if I was Captain or part of the defence, I'd be telling the keeper we are having one on the same post. It didn't happen. In fact, the wall was wide apart and Mings was the only one that didn't jump. 

Watkins didn't pressure the Leeds centre backs at all last game and he produced the same performance again today. As the lone striker you simply cannot stroll through a game hoping for the ball to find you. He is young and has little PL experience but he needs to learn quick otherwise a fit Wesley will be taking that starting position. 

McGinn. No way is he the same player we had in the Championship and, at the start of last season. If he is we will need to look at that position because today he was anonymous. I mean, he was better post lockdown last season and that's saying something. 

Barkley. He has to instruct him to pass the ball to other players and not just Grealish. Was it any coincendenxe that Trezeguet had three chances second half when they started playing the ball that way? First half, everything went through Grealish. Traore even went his side of the pitch looking for the ball. We have to stop this otherwise we become way too easy to play against. 

Has to play Mings.

Hause and Engels are on a whole different level of awful.

I wasn't getting particularly excited when we won four on the bounce and I won't get especially down if we lose 4 on the bounce too. My target this season was to finish around 14th-10th and then kick on from there. Would be solid progress. Still on track for that so fair enough. 

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 1

I wanted to wait a couple of hours before posting so it died down a bit on here with the reactionary posts.

I see the same problem for the past three matches.

Individual errors happen, as do brilliant bits of play against you like three of their goals today....

What I wanted to comment on is our actual play. With the type of players we have and the formation it all goes to plot if the three midfielders in the middle don’t stick rigidly to their jobs. It’s fine for McGinn and Luiz to carry the ball forward but they must stick to their defensive midfield position without the ball unless their flanks full back has gone forward and then they are supposed to fill in for them and not go forward. This allows for over loads whilst keeping defensive solidity. 
it’s supposed to be a team broken into two halves where Luiz, McGinn, Mings and Konsa always stay back unless there is a corner, whilst the full backs go up and down the flanks and the front 4 wait for ball carrying opportunities.

This doesn’t happen with the midfield two currently, the ball doesn’t get won back predictably and therefore Barclay and Grealish keep coming further back to get on the ball taking pressure off the opposition allowing them to commit more men forward.

Fix that situation and we will do a lot better.

Edited by paul514

5 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

A true leader, today, would not have left McGinn 1 v 1 with their tallest player at a free kick.

This is a load of bollocks. Mcginn always marks the biggest aerial threat. The big issue in itself is that he was back post and therefore our freemen couldn't win the ball. Mcginns job isn't to win the ball but to stop them from getting a run onto it and taking off to beat mings it konsa to the ball but instead he was back post so he had a free header. Our defenders need to be more aware of this but this isn't mings' fault instead it is the fault of the way we defend set pieces.

6 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

This is a load of bollocks. Mcginn always marks the biggest aerial threat. The big issue in itself is that he was back post and therefore our freemen couldn't win the ball. Mcginns job isn't to win the ball but to stop them from getting a run onto it and taking off to beat mings it konsa to the ball but instead he was back post so he had a free header. Our defenders need to be more aware of this but this isn't mings' fault instead it is the fault of the way we defend set pieces.

Rubbish! You don't leave your shortest player to mark the biggest opponent. If that IS a tactic they all need sacking. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Villarocker said:

Rubbish! You don't leave your shortest player to mark the biggest opponent. If that IS a tactic they all need sacking. 

I'm telling you he always marks the biggest aerial threat. Against Liverpool he marks VVD etc. The concept I'm sure is if you put someone like mings on him it becomes a 50/50 situation in terms of who is going to win the header. But if you prevent him from attacking the ball and give mings the space to go and win it all of a sudden it is a 80/20 situation. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Mantis said:

It's not about that one particular instance, it's the team's mentality as a whole. Both times we've gone behind this season we've just completely lost it.

It happens to even the best teams - look what we did to Liverpool. 

20 minutes ago, penguin said:

Not sure what it has to do with Smith but Everton are very much a victim of their own hype and good start. People got too excited and were talking about top 4 and even title challenging, they have improved their squad but still have quite a gap to bridge, particularly at the back and reliance on DCL maintaining his ridiculous start.

Incidentally the same can be argued for us...

• Like 1

Â