Dean Smith

Demitri_C

i was absolutely convinced that we could improve our play dramatically with a different manager.  Having said that, I am very surprised at how fast and substantial the changes in our play have been.  I'm by no means, in favor of a let-down or "hiccup" in results, but I sort of anticipate it.  We are soooo much improved, but our playing staff still have some major limitations and at some point, those will catch up with us.  I'm just hoping that any let down that occurs is not too big before January and the club can address some of those limitations.  

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, srsmithusa said:

i was absolutely convinced that we could improve our play dramatically with a different manager.  Having said that, I am very surprised at how fast and substantial the changes in our play have been.  I'm by no means, in favor of a let-down or "hiccup" in results, but I sort of anticipate it.  We are soooo much improved, but our playing staff still have some major limitations and at some point, those will catch up with us.  I'm just hoping that any let down that occurs is not too big before January and the club can address some of those limitations.  

If we can survive and limp a run until January we will be in a brilliant position.

It's obvious he can get alot out of limited players.

A couple more players and defenders who are comfortable on the ball and we are potentially flying.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

If we can survive and limp a run until January we will be in a brilliant position.

It's obvious he can get alot out of limited players.

A couple more players and defenders who are comfortable on the ball and we are potentially flying.

I had written this season off but now it feels like it could be his last opportunity to work with players such as Grealish so praying he didn’t join too late.

If only we had Smith from the start of this season. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, terrytini said:

Agree, but it’s worth adding that in some respects the spaces were intentional. I’ve never seen our Full Backs as high and wide as they were for large parts of that game. It didn’t work at times but stretched Blues all over the place. Interestingly he’s not done that every game, our patterns are changing quite regularly depending upon the opposition.

You mean he is planning and preparing ways to play against different teams rather than just putting '11 lads' out there and just telling them to play?!?!

😁😁😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 26/11/2018 at 01:14, Dave-R said:

I dont need to say anything took the words out of my mouth.

Dean Smith is absolutely the man for the championship so far and so are our players, massive improvement from this club.

All hail the new era at villa, we will be back where we belong.

Ooooops I said something, just could resist!!!!

Highlights here:

Hmmmm, is it me or is Nyland being held for their first goal? Look at 1:23 - as he turns to follow the ball, the City player has a handful of his shirt and pulls him back..  Dirty Dirty Bluenose

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

Hmmmm, is it me or is Nyland being held for their first goal? Look at 1:23 - as he turns to follow the ball, the City player has a handful of his shirt and pulls him back..  Dirty Dirty Bluenose

Not just you.

Smith spoke about that as well.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

Looks like he did. Still goes down too easily but should have been a free kick. 

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Looks like he did. Still goes down too easily but should have been a free kick. 

Yes, I think sometimes keepers rely too much on getting the free kick.  On the TV coverage you can hear a loud "aaaggghhhh" which I assume was Nyland emphasising to the ref the incident. 

Sometime you have to stand up and be strong, this was one of those times for me. 

20 minutes ago, srsmithusa said:

I don't see player limitation as a concern. I think we have an abundance of talent. Every player is adequate in ability at the very least.

Previously this wasn't on display because we weren't setup in a way that allowed us an edge in the contest. Players became a liability when the flaws in our game were exposed.

Smith has changed the approach and as a result a situation that got the better of our players previously, no longer troubles them as much, as the team game is better equipped to cope.

There will obviously be moments of disappointment to come, how significant and prolonged they are will determine results and our standing at the end of this season.

I think we can go all the way with the players we have now and am hopeful that we will continue to grow, solidify the team game and gain momentum.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

I don't see player limitation as a concern. I think we have an abundance of talent. Every player is adequate in ability at the very least.

Previously this wasn't on display because we weren't setup in a way that allowed us an edge in the contest. Players became a liability when the flaws in our game were exposed.

Smith has changed the approach and as a result a situation that got the better of our players previously, no longer troubles them as much, as the team game is better equipped to cope.

There will obviously be moments of disappointment to come, how significant and prolonged they are will determine results and our standing at the end of this season.

I think we can go all the way with the players we have now and am hopeful that we will continue to grow, solidify the team game and gain momentum.

Keep in contention by Jan. By contention I’d say no more than 10 points off top 2. (Currently 9 points off so won’t be easy). Get Heaton, a new left back and a centre half and I see us challenging for automatic promotion. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Keep in contention by Jan. By contention I’d say no more than 10 points off top 2. (Currently 9 points off so won’t be easy). Get Heaton, a new left back and a centre half and I see us challenging for automatic promotion. 

We've given ourselves a difficult task in playing catch up. Even a place in the playoffs will require little room for error and results being favourable. I agree though, I see potential to challenge for automatic promotion. Our next 8 games are all against promotion hopefuls and that will take us into January, I wonder if the guys have it in them to close the gap and take points from teams who are going to be there or thereabouts at the seasons end?

If we acquire players who make the team better then I'm all for it, though I'm pretty confident in the players we have currently.

I guess this run of 8 fixtures to come will certainly show us a lot about the team under Smith and how we match up against the better opposition the competition has to offer.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

We've given ourselves a difficult task in playing catch up. Even a place in the playoffs will require little room for error and results being favourable. I agree though, I see potential to challenge for automatic promotion. Our next 8 games are all against promotion hopefuls and that will take us into January, I wonder if the guys have it in them to close the gap and take points from teams who are going to be there or thereabouts at the seasons end?

If we acquire players who make the team better then I'm all for it, though I'm pretty confident in the players we have currently.

I guess this run of 8 fixtures to come will certainly show us a lot about the team under Smith and how we match up against the better opposition the competition has to offer.

Good post. Although I will note Derby and (spit) Blues were two of the most in form sides when we played them. So the omens are good.

Also some credit to the new owners for making the manager change when they did. They were fair and gave Bruce some extra time, which after the summer of doom was understandable, but made the changes quickly when it became clear things were not progressing. They also apparently picked the right man to replace him.

For the transfer window the only player we actually NEED I think is cover for CB. Beyond that well we have a pretty great squad really.

Edited by ciggiesnbeer
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

For the transfer window the only player we actually NEED I think is cover for CB. Beyond that well we have a pretty great squad really.

err left back?

Not only do we not have proper cover, but its by far the weakest position in the starting xi

( @TrentVilla remember our mini debate the other day, well heres an example)

6 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I do so hope you are right - for me this ship has left port and I can't help think that play off is our route to the prem - however I live in hope 👍🏻

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Junxs said:

err left back?

Not only do we not have proper cover, but its by far the weakest position in the starting xi

( @TrentVilla remember our mini debate the other day, well heres an example)

Yeah we could probably use a left back as well. Although Hutton can play there if needed. But sure a left back after a CB. If we can get someone who is dual role then that might suffice as well.

I think its fair to say that Taylor has done alright recently though , maybe him getting a run of games has helped him.

9 hours ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

I’m amazed at the faith fans have in our goalie after a couple of routine catches and saves! 

Goalkeeper is the number one priority for the day the window opens. The sooner he is replaced with a top keeper the better.  

I’d put money on the club lining up a new keeper to face Wigan on 12th January. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, TheStagMan said:

Yes that's deffo a drag down on our keeper and should of been disallowed,  disgusting really I didn't notice till you mentioned.

Our players should of protested, where were the linesman on that one..

Cheating scum..

It certainly feels lime most teams were coming up against are having to result to these dirty tactics against us..

Edited by Dave-R

Â