Christian Purslow

villan-scott

What's ironic about all this is I have no particular affection for Purslow, and we're probably never really going to know if he's done a good job or not. If the owners saw fit to replace him then I'd be fine with it. They're really the only ones that know what he's responsible for, and whether he's done that job well.

All I can see as a fan is that the club has moved forward while he's been in the job, and our transfer budget has been decent and the way we do business (no leaks etc) has been very professional. There's been no major off-field disasters related to the club that I can see, and when bigger clubs have come knocking for our best players (Grealish, Carney) then we've got very good prices for them.

It's impossible to say how much of that Purslow is actually responsible for, so I'm not going to give him too much credit for it - but the fact he's still here means he's probably doing something right. I'm amazed how many people on here are apparently privvy to the inner decisionmaking of the four most important members of the AVFC hierarchy (the owners, Purslow, Lange) though. Either that, or there's a lot of gullible people willing to jump to conclusions based on almost no evidence.

• Like 4

On 12/10/2022 at 07:13, DCJonah said:

Terrible recruitment decisions when we came up and Smith and Grealish saved him from that scrutiny. 

Replacing Jack with Buendia, Bailey and Ings is looking more and more like an utter disaster. 

I'd also love to know how much influence he had over that summer when JT and ROK left the coaching staff and were replaced with people who have helped make us much worse. 

Recruiting wingers for Smith and then bringing in an unproven Gerrard has left our squad unbalanced and with a rising wage bill with players with little resale value.

All the good feeling and connections between fans and the club gets worse every day. 

I think Purslow should be pretty thankful that Deano pulling off the promotion miracle and Super Jack playing a massive part in keeping us up and progressing us to 11th have helped cover over a lot of terrible decisions made by the club, of which Purslow is the one over seeing them all. 

I'm not a fan. 

The squad was also unbalanced before Gerrard, he just unbalanced it again, in a different way.

Now, I am looking forward to proper balance, from UE.

Purslow, took a punt, and it backfired, maybe all his other good work, gives him credit with the owners.

My suspicion is, he needs to refrain more, from football matters, and stick to what he does best.

Edited by TRO

Can you be embarrassing and impressive all at the same time ? Because Purslow does it. He is terrible in press conferences but always gets the job done. Right or wrong he is a great negotiator. And this time he has gone and got the owners choice over the line in 96 hours. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

Its hard to be good at everything....I think he should leave football matters to football people.

But that's the stuff that gets the most publicity 

How will he makes the signings (Coutinho)and the managerial appointments (Gerrard)  and the big sales (Jack) all about himself?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stewiek2 said:

For some reason watching the press conference yesterday he reminded me of Ricky Pointing.

Who was he pointing at?

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, sidcow said:

My cousin knows someone in The Ticket office. 

Apparently it's well known that Purslow has only really got involved in stuff that's gone wrong. 

Things like the good players we've signed, selling Chuk to Chelsea for £20m, the decent commercial deals and everything connected to The North Stand were actually done by his secretary. She's the real brains behind the operation. He's just like a toff figurehead. 

Apparently we'd all agreed not to sign Coutinho but when his secretary went on holiday he went behind her back and signed him quickly before she could put a stop to it. 

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

He should've made the call to sack Gerrard after we lost to West Ham in August.

That's my main gripe, we've wasted two months and seen Newcastle fly past us so even if we have improved form it's going to be hard to challenge to finish 7th. Do it at start of the season and that could've been possible.

At least we didn't get dumped out of the league cup so that's exciting to still be in play with Emery's cup record at many clubs.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, VillaChris said:

He should've made the call to sack Gerrard after we lost to West Ham in August.

That's my main gripe, we've wasted two months and seen Newcastle fly past us so even if we have improved form it's going to be hard to challenge to finish 7th. Do it at start of the season and that could've been possible.

At least we didn't get dumped out of the league cup so that's exciting to still be in play with Emery's cup record at many clubs.

See your point but the gamble was taken when we employed Gerrard, he was a massive risk that we should not have taken. Thank God the owner stepped in when he did and pushed Gerrard out, the damage he could have done with more time (selling Ming's, Ollie and upsetting others,) and possibly a relegation battle is unthinkable.

Newcastle took a similar gamble with Howe ( he was more proven than Gerrard ) and that appears to have paid off but we have a long way to go and I'm happier with Emery and where we are than 3rd with Howe. 

• Like 1

If anything, Sunday showed again why Purslow deserves criticism for the Gerrard appointment and sticking with him for so long. 

It's looking like one of the worst managerial appointments in our Premier league history. I dread to think about the money it cost to pay Gerrard and all his coaches off. 

Certainly ruins getting a good fee for Carney when we have to pay out staff like we did. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

The truth is we signed some very good players but Purslow appointed a driver without a driving licence. 

Purslow reports to an Executive Chairman and the rest of the Board.  His position as a Director ultimately depends on the support of the two major shareholders.  He cannot "go rogue", as it were.

The Board take responsibility for the appointment of Gerrard, for the length of his tenure and the termination of his employment.

There is simply no evidence that Purslow appointed his "mate" and that no-one else had a say until Sawiris suddenly lost his rag at the Fulham game.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

When he **** off out of making football decisions. And stays out.

Oh god.  I'm sick of it but NOBODY knows what "football" decisions Purslow has got involved in.  It's all internet rumours now set in stone.  There is zero evidence, just rumour.

Even Gerrard, it was stated in his unveiling that it was a unanimous decision after the interview, so almost certainly Edens and Sawiris also selected Gerrard.  

There seems to be a strange desire for people to WANT him to be blamed for everything, I suspect because he's rather posh.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Oh god.  I'm sick of it but NOBODY knows what "football" decisions Purslow has got involved in.  It's all internet rumours now set in stone.  There is zero evidence, just rumour.

Even Gerrard, it was stated in his unveiling that it was a unanimous decision after the interview, so almost certainly Edens and Sawiris also selected Gerrard.  

There seems to be a strange desire for people to WANT him to be blamed for everything, I suspect because he's rather posh.

Don't forget he signed Ings as well :)

Why is he presenting Emery? Lange is football director, he can do it. 

Butt out Christian.

Â