Christian Purslow

villan-scott

He's done an incredible job. One of the top 20 wage bills in Europe. Top 20 for net spend. No infrastructure. Continually over pay for players. Continually over pay players. Continually buy bad players and wrong characters.

Can't shift players on. Continually need to buy players.

Bbbbbut 100m for Grealish. Like that's happening ever again.

Edited by rodders0223
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

What do people say if Emery fails too? A manager who has been successful wherever he has been.

Still gonna find an excuse for Purslow?

To be pedantic, Emery was bombed out of Spartak Moscow, sacked by Arsenal and only managed one league title at PSG - but I do think he’ll be a success here, and I do think it’ll be seen as a good appointment by Purslow/ownership.

If Emery fails well then yes, obviously, that’s two bad appointments in a row.

1 hour ago, Adam2003 said:

To be pedantic, Emery was bombed out of Spartak Moscow, sacked by Arsenal and only managed one league title at PSG - but I do think he’ll be a success here, and I do think it’ll be seen as a good appointment by Purslow/ownership.

If Emery fails well then yes, obviously, that’s two bad appointments in a row.

I don't think it's a bad appointment if Emery fails. 

He's literally the most credentialed manager we could have got. If it doesn't work, fine, but I won't blame Purslow. 

Obviously if Emery wants to make changes and Purslow doesn't support it etc etc then that's a different thing, but I don't there can be any criticism of NSWE or Purslow for making this hire (or for sacking Gerrard). It's not a Smith/Gerrard situation where the whole thing felt odd. 

• Like 3

After the new owners took over the club, there are a few things we could complain about:

• Not being able to sell players we don’t need, this include not being able to make revenue on players sales.
  • Buying players that don’t fit the tactics of the manager.
  • Leaving Gerrard in the job way to long, toward the end it was so obvious that he had to go you had to blind not to see it.

How much of blame should be given to ‘Purslow isn’t something we would have enough information about, since we don’t know what is taking place inside the club. Still he is the CEO, that means that if player recruitment isn’t right, he is in charge to hire and fire the people in charge of player recruitment.

I wanted Gerrard gone at the end of last season, but I can understand why he was given more time. That Gerrard was still in the job after the international break, is just baffling. Who ever had the power to sack Gerrard, and didn’t do anything about it should rightly be criticised.

3 hours ago, Condimentalist said:

I don't think it's a bad appointment if Emery fails. 

He's literally the most credentialed manager we could have got. If it doesn't work, fine, but I won't blame Purslow. 

Obviously if Emery wants to make changes and Purslow doesn't support it etc etc then that's a different thing, but I don't there can be any criticism of NSWE or Purslow for making this hire (or for sacking Gerrard). It's not a Smith/Gerrard situation where the whole thing felt odd. 

Yep that is how I feel as well overall. Hoping Gerrard is just ‘a blip’, which every club has had.

2 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Purslow is now the new Gerrard... so I already know what circles this thread will go in.

Well let’s just be careful with the comparison in that Gerrard wasn’t a scapegoat for everything wrong - he was actually full on incompetent ;)

I don’t think that’s the case with Purslow, even though I agree there’s a slightly weird attack line going on right now given we just did about the only important thing (sacked Gerrard, got someone good) the leadership can do during the season in football terms. 

Edited by Adam2003
  • Like 1

On 29/10/2022 at 17:14, rodders0223 said:

He's done an incredible job. One of the top 20 wage bills in Europe. Top 20 for net spend. No infrastructure. Continually over pay for players. Continually over pay players. Continually buy bad players and wrong characters.

Can't shift players on. Continually need to buy players.

Bbbbbut 100m for Grealish. Like that's happening ever again.

This is a bit hysterical.

I have my doubts about Purslow, but he’s done plenty of positive things for the club, and with a more experienced manager at the helm, we’ll probably make smarter decisions in the transfer market.

The idea that we’ve got no infrastructure and have bought “bad characters” doesn’t really stack up with what I’ve seen.

We’ve wasted a year on the Gerrard experiment. It’s not the end of the world.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

Well let’s just be careful with the comparison in that Gerrard wasn’t a scapegoat for everything wrong - he was actually full on incompetent ;)

I don’t think that’s the case with Purslow, even though I agree there’s a slightly weird attack line going on right now given we just did about the only important thing (sacked Gerrard, got someone good) the leadership can do during the season in football terms. 

What's heartening is that, no matter who is in and out of our club, we will always have something to argue about.

It's what keeps us going! 😂

Up the Villa Talk!!!!

13 hours ago, Pinebro said:

What do people say if Emery fails too? A manager who has been successful wherever he has been.

Still gonna find an excuse for Purslow?

This is a **** weird post.

Are you trying to suggest that Purslow picks the team or something?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bobzy said:

This is a **** weird post.

Are you trying to suggest that Purslow picks the team or something?

No but he picks the sporting directors who are directly responsible for player recruitment.

If player recruitment is poor that falls on Purslow's head. If he was just a banker I wouldn't have said anything but he has made the decision to be heavily involved in major footballing decisions so he'll be held accountable. At least from me.

You do you though.

Just now, Pinebro said:

No but he picks the sporting directors who are directly responsible for player recruitment.

If player recruitment is poor that falls on Purslow's head. If he was just a banker I wouldn't have said anything but he has made the decision to be heavily involved in major footballing decisions so he'll be held accountable. At least from me.

You do you though.

I'm of the view that pretty much everyone agrees that Emery is a good appointment (could be wrong).

If Emery fails in his job, why the **** would I be blaming Purslow?

Just now, bobzy said:

I'm of the view that pretty much everyone agrees that Emery is a good appointment (could be wrong).

If Emery fails in his job, why the **** would I be blaming Purslow?

Because of further bad player recruitment.

If Lange and Purslow doesn't supply Emery with the tools he needs then why should they still be in a job?

41 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Because of further bad player recruitment.

If Lange and Purslow doesn't supply Emery with the tools he needs then why should they still be in a job?

Ah, well your initial post didn't say anything about player recruitment - just that "if Emery fails...".

In any case, I'd assume that player recruitment comes from the manager dictating what he wants/needs and then the various teams involved go and track those players.  You'd hope manager sign off would happen after players have been identified too because he's the person managing the team.  Would be odd to recruit without his consent (unless you're just using a "coach"; which Emery isn't).

47 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Ah, well your initial post didn't say anything about player recruitment - just that "if Emery fails...".

In any case, I'd assume that player recruitment comes from the manager dictating what he wants/needs and then the various teams involved go and track those players.  You'd hope manager sign off would happen after players have been identified too because he's the person managing the team.  Would be odd to recruit without his consent (unless you're just using a "coach"; which Emery isn't).

I think what you say regarding transfers is correct for most of them but my strong suspicion is that Dean Smith had little or nothing to do with the Danny Ings signing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rds1983 said:

What do people say if Emery is a success? 

Still gonna find an excuse to criticise Purslow?

You know the drill. It will be in spite of Purslow not because of him.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

What do people say if Emery is a success? 

Still gonna find an excuse to criticise Purslow?

If recruitment is bad he will be criticized.

If it's good he will get praise.

And also do you have any evidence supporting the claim that it was Purslow's decision to bring in Emery because most of the rumours suggests it was Wes and Nas. So why should het get praise for an appointment that potentially wasn't his?

Edited by Pinebro

Â