Ron Saunders in care

John

Sad news, hopefully he’s receiving plenty comfort and care.

Always been envious of supporters who saw his teams from the mid 70’s through to the early 80’s.

His record as a player for Portsmouth (their third top goal scorer of all time) and his time managing Norwich (leading them to the top flight for the first time in their history) are noteworthy enough.

Villa could do with doing a little more regarding the Saunders/Barton years.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, danceoftheshamen said:

Without doubt the best manager we have ever had. What a team he built before he was disgracefully treated by the numpties in charge and walked.

Ellis was also a disgrace for practically removing all trace of that teams success as his balloon ego couldn't cope with it presumably as he wasn't in charge at the time and instead presided over 35 years of drudgery & second ratedness which saw us descend from Champions of Europe to multiple relegation's and a couple of League cups.

I personally have been waiting, and waiting...... for a team to emerge which is fit to lace the boots of that Saunders team and have seen nothing close in nearly four decades now.

So best wishes to Ron and i hope the club do the right thing by naming a stand or erecting a statue of him as the guy is a legend at Aston Villa. Much more of a legend than Ellis who was like a ball and chain around the ankle of Villa for so long despite admittedly rescuing the club in his first tenure.

Such a shame to see Ron and his family suffering especially with the football disease (Dementia). I can only thank him for the amazing memories i have of watching that incredible team grace the Villa Park turf and my day in Rotterdam which, although at the time we were managed by Tony Barton, was for certain Ron's team.

I remember it like it was yesterday

Jimmy Rimmer

Kenny Swain

Ken Mcnaught

Allan Evans

Colin Gibson

Des Bremner

Gordan Cowans (Sid)

Dennis Mortimer (Cap't)

Tony Morley

Gary Shaw

Peter Withe

You forgot the sub ?

• Like 2

I'm sure many of us out there have had to witness family members suffering from dementia in their latter years. Big hugs to the Saunders family.

And like a lot of us on here 81/82 is just out of reach for my memory.

There's a great documentary called 'Alive Inside' out there which is an amazing film about Alzheimers, Music and Memories. Very heartwarming and yet heart wrenching at the same time.

We all salute you though Mr Saunders sir.

Legend.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DaveAV1 said:

My heart goes out to Ron and especially his family. I lost my Mom to this cruel disease. A nurse once said to me, you mourn twice for dementia sufferers, once for the person they were and a second time when they actually pass away. She was absolutely right. 

Ron gave my generation of Villa fans the best moments of our football lives. He and his teams always gave 110%. Wonderful, wonderful memories. I hope that he can still recall some of them himself, as his long term memory may still be partially intact. 

Bless you Ron, no words could ever thank you enough. UTV. 

I lost my mum 6 months ago to this cruel disease, so it is still very raw, there really isn't a positive, just hope he has the best care possible and my thoughts go out to him and all his family ?

• Sad 1

Thoughts with the Saunders family, well before my time as a fan but you discover as you grow up about him and what he did for this club.

My Nan is in a dementia home and while she is being looked after, is safe, fed, watered, relatively happy and content it is still heartbreaking to see the person that bought my dad up, looked after me and my brother all the years we grew up, it looks like Nan, still occasionally says the same things that makes us laugh but it isn’t Nan anymore. It’s **** horrible. Hate dementia. For me it’s possibly worse than cancer as it’s the whole frog not realising it’s being boiled aspect. Cruel.

Sad news. Wish him all the best and you just have to hope he is comfortable and safe, that is all you can do.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, DaveAV1 said:

You forgot the sub ?

Eammon Deacy (RIP) was a regular 12th man.

Reading that team list took me back to my youth on the Holte (left side) when, if we'd lost then my whole weekend was ruined.....and I still had my homework to do on Sunday ?

(Sorry...a bit off topic there)

• Like 1

Sad news about a great man.

It's shocking there is so little tribute to him at Villa Park.  New owners should definitely rectify this.

But whilst we are on the subject, where is his OBE or MBE?  So many lesser people are given awards for football.  This is one of the few English Managers to have won the European Cup for goodness sake.  If he had managed Man United he would be a knight of the realm by now.

Edit.  Just realised my own stupidity :blush:.  That said whilst he might not have actually been in charge, it was unquestionably his team.

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 2

How very sad.  My thoughts are with all the family.   Having lost my Mum in November to this awful thing called Dementia, I can fully sympathise.    It's awful when your own parent doesn't realise that you are their child.  What a very great shame for our greatest Manager and his family to have to go through this.   I can only hope that Ron doesn't suffer for too long because I am sure he wouldn't want to lose all his dignity and nor does he deserve to.   As Tony Butler used to say - "Prayer Mats out - Hail Saunders of the Villa "

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

The best Villa manager in my lifetime, and the Championship squad probably had the best TEAM ethic i've seen at any football club.

Football's changed and I don't expect to ever see the likes of Ron or that team again.

Sad days, thanks for the memories Ron.

Â