Ron Saunders in care

John

Was there with my Dad in the early 1970's through to when he left us. I was 16 at the Wembley 1975 v Norwich ..."Saunders, Saunders, Saunders" chant was so loud...would love to hear it again at VP

We never had it so good.

Fantastic manager, so sad to hear about him, my thoughts go out to his family

Villa really should find a way to honour this man...or is it too late now?

On 13/08/2018 at 20:11, hooter said:

Very sad news.

When I was a kid I harboured dreams of being a sports journalist, and I wrote to Saunders when he was manager of Small Heath to ask if I could do an interview for the school magazine. (I did one with Barton the previous month).

Ron's secretary rang me, and off I went to interview him in his office. I had my tape recorder running and he gave me nearly an hour of his time, answering every question I asked. At the end I turned off my tape and we chatted for a few minutes, during which he uttered the legendary phrase "yes but everyone in football knows Gary Newbon is pig ignorant".

Off I went to write up the interview, and couldn't resist including that quote. Once published I sent Saunders a copy in the post. I was sitting in a History class a couple of days later when the school secretary hoiked me out of class.

"Mr Saunders has been on the phone and wants to see you in his office immediately, he sounded pretty angry"

Off I went to catch the No. 8 bus, more than a little concerned.

Looking back he did it brilliantly. His secretary gave me a stern look and said "go through". He sat with my printed interview in his hand and said "Gary Newbon is pig ignorant...?" As I shuffled uncomfortably he roared at me that I'd never be a journalist if I didn't respect the privacy of off the record comments (he was right, I never was !) . Once I had stopped apologising he pressed his intercom "send him through". In walked a very serious looking Noel Blake. "If you ever do that to me again it'll be this fella that you'll be dealing with not me...". "Show him out Noel".

I proper shit myself, but looking back he was trying to teach me something in his own rather unique style. 

Wish him all the best.

That's a great story and all... but all I can think is "why the **** would you print it?!?!" :lol: 

"I GOT A SCOOP GUYS!" 

1 hour ago, delboy54 said:

Villa really should find a way to honour this man...or is it too late now?

It's never too late. It's something the club should have done a long time ago but it's better done late than never.

• Like 1

Â