Ron Saunders in care

John

So sad to hear this.

Was the Villa manager through a large part of my Villa supporting days through the 70's and have fond memories of following him and his teams in that era.

Some great days and memories...........................thanks for that Ron.

Thoughts are with him and his family.

• Like 2

Aye mjm.......totally different from the modern squad game. When we turned up to see the Villa we could name the side before it was announced, barring injuries.

Edited by newhavenhibby
  • Like 1

My thoughts are with him and his family.

I wasn't alive during his tenure but my Dada instilled in me his obvious importance.

Since reading this book...

Image result for ron saunders book

I've really had a good understanding of his talent and significance. I recommend it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

A great man, and my all time hero. My Dad had Alzheimer's, and it's **** ing evil. 

I just LOVE that this quote is firmly recorded and saved. I've replayed it 10 times. LEGEND!!! :(

• Like 3

4 hours ago, mottaloo said:

Eammon Deacy (RIP) was a regular 12th man.

Reading that team list took me back to my youth on the Holte (left side) when, if we'd lost then my whole weekend was ruined.....and I still had my homework to do on Sunday ?

(Sorry...a bit off topic there)

The sub I was thinking of was Nigel Spink. But you’re right we’ve wandered off topic. 

On 13/08/2018 at 11:00, danceoftheshamen said:

Without doubt the best manager we have ever had. What a team he built before he was disgracefully treated by the numpties in charge and walked.

Ellis was also a disgrace for practically removing all trace of that teams success as his balloon ego couldn't cope with it presumably as he wasn't in charge at the time and instead presided over 35 years of drudgery & second ratedness which saw us descend from Champions of Europe to multiple relegation's and a couple of League cups.

I personally have been waiting, and waiting...... for a team to emerge which is fit to lace the boots of that Saunders team and have seen nothing close in nearly four decades now.

So best wishes to Ron and i hope the club do the right thing by naming a stand or erecting a statue of him as the guy is a legend at Aston Villa. Much more of a legend than Ellis who was like a ball and chain around the ankle of Villa for so long despite admittedly rescuing the club in his first tenure.

Such a shame to see Ron and his family suffering especially with the football disease (Dementia). I can only thank him for the amazing memories i have of watching that incredible team grace the Villa Park turf and my day in Rotterdam which, although at the time we were managed by Tony Barton, was for certain Ron's team.

I remember it like it was yesterday

Jimmy Rimmer

Kenny Swain

Ken Mcnaught

Allan Evans

Colin Gibson

Des Bremner

Gordan Cowans (Sid)

Dennis Mortimer (Cap't)

Tony Morley

Gary Shaw

Peter Withe

Was it not Gary Williams instead of Colin Gibson?

Gary Williams played a big part too yes. He & Colin Gibson both were great. They pretty much shared the LB spot for a couple of seasons i remember but Gibson played 44 games over the course of the 1980/81 & 1981 /82 seasons with Williams being injured and going on loan to Walsall for a while at some point as i remember too.  I just preferred Colin Gibson personally for some reason but you are correct that Williams pretty much took over the position in the European cup season although that was technically under Barton.

• Like 1

I recall reading a snippet once about an elderly husband whose wife was in care with dementia and he would visit her everyday to have a chat etc.

The nurse said to him one day something like "why do you visit everyday when she doesn't remember you?"

He replied "because I remember her"

• Like 4

Knew how to get 110% out of the men he had at his disposal, theres very few managers who are capable of thst.

His memory may fade but his achievements will live forever,  1874 and he's the best yet ...UTV 

Â