Fulham

Demitri_C

5 hours ago, Mantis said:

I really feel like Allardyce has at this point been built up into this almost mythical figure that doesn't quite match the reality. He's good at keeping teams up but I suspect he's also quite good at recognising his own limits and knowing which jobs to take and when.

Agreed, that's the point I was trying to make. I think he's canny enough when it comes to which jobs he'll take. Not sure he'd have taken us in 15/16 for instance (obviously it wasn't an option anyway by the time we got rid of Sherwood, but he wasn't hanging on waiting for us was he).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mantis said:

I really feel like Allardyce has at this point been built up into this almost mythical figure that doesn't quite match the reality. He's good at keeping teams up but I suspect he's also quite good at recognising his own limits and knowing which jobs to take and when.

Know what you mean but he's managed some pretty poor sides and never been relegated. Some of them were dead teams walking as well like Sunderland. But he probably wouldn't take a job if he thought they were too far gone

15 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Unless you have a coach of the caliber of Bielsa or Benitez.

If not, then yes this is the reality.

Sadly the reality is that even with one of these coaches, you need to spend £100m - unless you've been very lucky in assembling a squad in the Championship, you're going to be nowhere near it. Lewis Hamilton wouldn't win a Formula 1 Grand Prix in a Formula 2 car. Bielsa is a brilliant coach, but he can't make a Premier league team with Championship players - Leeds are going to spend £80m+ and it still might not be enough.

If you don't have a decent manager, or if you came out of the championship pretty weak, £100m isn't anything like enough. 

If you put Bielsa into Fulham right now, he'd need £200m to keep them up.

6 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Sadly the reality is that even with one of these coaches, you need to spend £100m - unless you've been very lucky in assembling a squad in the Championship, you're going to be nowhere near it. Lewis Hamilton wouldn't win a Formula 1 Grand Prix in a Formula 2 car. Bielsa is a brilliant coach, but he can't make a Premier league team with Championship players - Leeds are going to spend £80m+ and it still might not be enough.

If you don't have a decent manager, or if you came out of the championship pretty weak, £100m isn't anything like enough. 

Leeds pretty much have a championship squad though.

How many of their players would you take? Hardly anyone 

4 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Leeds pretty much have a championship squad though.

How many of their players would you take? Hardly anyone 

Exactly. I guess it's then about how heavily you value the weighting of a great manager and how much you think a coach alone can change the fortunes of a group of players. I think Bielsa is a fantastic coach - I've less faith than you in his ability to keep Leeds completely safe this season.

13 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Did Benitez spend that much when he came up? I'm pretty sure they spent more in the championship getting in guys like Clark, Gayle and Matt Ritchie and they all started loads of games in 17/18 for them.

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Did Benitez spend that much when he came up? I'm pretty sure they spent more in the championship getting in guys like Clark, Gayle and Matt Ritchie and they all started loads of games in 17/18 for them.

They had arguably one of the strongest Championship squads ever along with Wolves in their promotion season. Kept almost everyone that got relegated and just added even more to that squad. Didn't need much tweaking when they came up, especially with the way Benitez played. Whereas if you come up with a squad like Fulham's or Villa's, you need major surgery to get it up to par in the PL.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

He didn't, but I think they did it in 2017, before the new domestic and international TV deals were signed - the difference in money at that time was a whole lot different to today.

On 29/09/2020 at 14:45, villalad21 said:

Scott Parker is a class act.

I would resign if i were him. Impossible working conditions when you have such clowns at board level.

Yeah, I don’t know anything about the guy, but felt genuinely bad for him walking back to the dressing room at HT against us.

What he’s working with compared to other PL doesn’t make it a fair fight.

17 hours ago, MNVillan said:

Yeah, I don’t know anything about the guy, but felt genuinely bad for him walking back to the dressing room at HT against us.

What he’s working with compared to other PL doesn’t make it a fair fight.

To be fair, he was happy to sign a new contract a month ago and is reportedly on £5m a year. He would have known what he was signing up for so my sympathy is somewhat restricted. 

58 minutes ago, Xela said:

To be fair, he was happy to sign a new contract a month ago and is reportedly on £5m a year. He would have known what he was signing up for so my sympathy is somewhat restricted. 

£5m a year to manage Fulham 🤯

Yeah, Andersen was really highly rated before.

Think he scored a bad own goal on either his debut or second match and he'd just never recovered.

One to keep out eye on for next summer when Fulham go down.

7 hours ago, Villaphan04 said:

also signed Tosin Adarabioyo from Man City. One I would've had an eye on should we have needed another center back. 

hes 23 now, did absolutely nothing on loan at the baggies, that was his big chance, for what they've paid its an ok signing for them cos he'll be of use if they yo-yo, for us im not sure he gets in ahead of hause

Â