Fulham

Demitri_C

51 minutes ago, bobzy said:

What does the F.A. Cup have to do with the Premier League?

We are more likely to get better cup runs as a Premier league team than as a top 8 championship team. 

I still dobt understand why people think long term being a championship club would be better. Your likely to win more games but your playing shitter teams. 

I'd rather play a Everton or a West ham than a reading or Preston 

41 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

We are more likely to get better cup runs as a Premier league team than as a top 8 championship team. 

I still dobt understand why people think long term being a championship club would be better. Your likely to win more games but your playing shitter teams. 

I'd rather play a Everton or a West ham than a reading or Preston 

The league has no real bearing on F.A. Cup runs - other than, of course, Premier League teams are likely to be better.  Millwall (who are 21st in the Championship) were in the quarter final and only knocked out after conceding late goals (88th and 96th mins) and subsequently losing on penalties.

Long term, of course it's "better" to be in the Premier League - certainly financially for the club.  I'm still completely lost on enjoyment levels though.

I don't understand how playing Everton is "better" than playing Preston?  Is playing Bournemouth "better" than playing Nottingham Forest?  Is playing Crystal Palace more entertaining than playing Sheffield Wednesday?  I don't get it.

I doubt I could name 5 players in any team in this league. And I used to be a bit Rain Man about these things.

Now this is down to me, but I just can't get invested enough to care about Preston, Millwall or Kidderminster or Gormly or whatever.

Living in Sweden you can follow the PL on telly, the papers and also with betting, fantasy and so on.

The Championship is for me an endless slog towards the Play off final which is a nice day out and the only game i might actually watch had Villa not been in this forsaken league.

There are so many other games and leagues I'd rather watch than the Championship.

Edited by sne

On 05/04/2019 at 10:58, bobzy said:

The league has no real bearing on F.A. Cup runs - other than, of course, Premier League teams are likely to be better.  Millwall (who are 21st in the Championship) were in the quarter final and only knocked out after conceding late goals (88th and 96th mins) and subsequently losing on penalties.

Long term, of course it's "better" to be in the Premier League - certainly financially for the club.  I'm still completely lost on enjoyment levels though.

I don't understand how playing Everton is "better" than playing Preston?  Is playing Bournemouth "better" than playing Nottingham Forest?  Is playing Crystal Palace more entertaining than playing Sheffield Wednesday?  I don't get it.

TBF I've enjoyed this championship season far more than the previous two put together and finally seen what the fuss is about down here.

16/17 was just a waste of a year from start to finish. 17/18 was an odd one in that we were top 6 for majority but with Steve Bruce at the wheel most of the games were a real grind to watch and we were still found out against most of the top teams.

This season there have been so many rollercoaster games I've thoroughly enjoyed watching, 3-3 v Preston,  2-2 v Brentford, 5-5 v Forest, 4-2 v SHA and even the 2-3 v Leeds were all fantastic thrill a minute games that sum this division up in a good way.

In two minds about going up. Are we ready, probably not? But we certainly would keep Grealish on going up and long term that could be a huge factor in next five years.

One thing I would like to see us achieve in next 5-10 years: playing european football again. Might seem a pipe dream now but Burnley qualified for it through a league placing two years after being promoted, Leicester qualified for CL two years after going up and Wolves could well do it through either the cup or 7th if Man. City win it.

I'd safely say there's more chance of qualifying for europe through premier league than remaining in the championship for foreseeable future.

• 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, Zatman said:

2 wins on the spin, never understand why teams start playing when they are already down. Was same with WBA last season

I never get that either. Be interested zto see who stays at Fulham next year as that team is good enough to walk the league next year. 

32 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I never get that either. Be interested zto see who stays at Fulham next year as that team is good enough to walk the league next year. 

I wouldn't say walk the league. They'll certainly be in top 6 mix if Mitrovic stays as he'll score 20 no problem but need to sort out their defence and midfield.

They come down with similar squad issues to us in 16/17 and Stoke and Swansea this season. None troubled the top 6.

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

I wouldn't say walk the league. They'll certainly be in top 6 mix if Mitrovic stays as he'll score 20 no problem but need to sort out their defence and midfield.

They come down with similar squad issues to us in 16/17 and Stoke and Swansea this season. None troubled the top 6.

I'm not sure about that. Both of those sides were established premier league sides for a number of years as we were and we found it difficult to transition as a championship club. 

As for Fulham I think sessagnon mitrovic will be. A real handful again at this level. 

On 20/04/2019 at 17:33, Zatman said:

2 wins on the spin, never understand why teams start playing when they are already down. Was same with WBA last season

I know Lescott got roundly mocked for saying it, but the pressure suddenly being off I imagine has a lot to do with it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Be interested zto see who stays at Fulham next year as that team is good enough to walk the league next year. 

They'll need to halve their current wage bill to survive, they lost more than £20m in the season they went up and have spent £100m on players since then - they might come down without having made a profit - even with the parachute payments they're a million miles away from being compliant this year. I'd expect Mitrovic and Sessegnon to be gone first and they'll be followed out the door by four or five more.

Fulham are possibly the most financially troubled team to drop back down in years.

• Like 2

In fact, a quick look around suggests that Fulham lost £45.2m in the season they went up and over £20m the season before that - that means that they'll need to have made a profit of around £26m during their season at the top table to be compliant at the start of the Championship season. Going on their spend, they might be starting the season on minus six with the rest of us.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

In fact, a quick look around suggests that Fulham lost £45.2m in the season they went up and over £20m the season before that - that means that they'll need to have made a profit of around £26m during their season at the top table to be compliant at the start of the Championship season. Going on their spend, they might be starting the season on minus six with the rest of us.

Won’t they get three years though so technically they will have the year they come down and another two ?

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I know Lescott got roundly mocked for saying it, but the pressure suddenly being off I imagine has a lot to do with it.

Fair enough but these are highly paid people that I cant imagine its really a stressful job. Hardly surgeons for example

57 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Won’t they get three years though so technically they will have the year they come down and another two ?

It's always the last three years, so the two before they went up and the one they were in the Premier league.

6 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Not a chance, if was team that went up maybe. One of the worst promoted sides ever. 

Lot of players will leave and have few loans. Mitrovic, Seri will go maybe Cairney, Sessegnon. Nobody will touch the defenders

I actually thought the central midfield they played v us in the final was the best in the division last year. Obviously Cairney got the acclaim and he'll probably stay but Johansen and McDonald were very underrated.

Johansen has struggled to get in the WBA 11 so he'll be back but guess it's a question of will they be as motivated given the way they've been treated this season so next manager will have to sort that out.

Their defence is awful but if you have a good attack you can get away with it at that level so they can get away with Odoi and Ream again.

12 hours ago, Zatman said:

Fair enough but these are highly paid people that I cant imagine its really a stressful job. Hardly surgeons for example

Everybody always says that. But being paid money doesn’t suddenly make you immune from stress or pressure. It obviously has an effect. 

If surgeons had to perform their job live in front of tens of thousands of people who go mad anytime they make a tiny mistake they’d probably be more affected by pressure too. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
Â