Demitri_C

Looking at the recent relegations from the premier league

2019/20 Norwich, Watford, Bournemouth

2018/19 Cardiff, Fulham, Huddersfield

2017/18 Swansea, Stoke, West Brom

2016/17 Hull, Middlesbrough, Sunderland

2015/16 Aston Villa, Newcastle, Norwich

2014/15 Hull, Burnley, Queens Park Rangers

In the previous five seasons to this one, not once did more than one relegated team come straight back up, and I think in three of them none of the relegated teams came back up at all, and if you go further back pretty sure it will follow a similar pattern.

The  major difference with last season is that Watford and Bournemouth probably shouldn't have been relegated in the first place, obviously they deserved to go down, but given the players they had available and their recent history in the Premier League they should have done better, not many were tipping  them to go down before the season started. Norwich it was more predictabe that they'd be relegated but were able to keep pretty much the same team that had got them promoted previously so were always going to have a chance.

Next season I wouldn't be surprised if none of the relegated teams came back up, Fulham and West Brom, have a chance of challenging, but I wouldn't expect them to be as strong as Norwich and Watford have been this season.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, useless said:

In the previous five seasons to this one, not once did more than one relegated team come straight back up, and I think in three of them none of the relegated teams came back up at all, and if you go further back pretty sure it will follow a similar pattern.

The  major difference with last season is that Watford and Bournemouth probably shouldn't have been relegated in the first place, obviously they deserved to go down, but given the players they had available and their recent history in the Premier League they should have done better, not many were tipping  them to go down before the season started. Norwich it was more predictabe that they'd be relegated but were able to keep pretty much the same team that had got them promoted previously so were always going to have a chance.

Next season I wouldn't be surprised if none of the relegated teams came back up, Fulham and West Brom, have a chance of challenging, but I wouldn't expect them to be as strong as Norwich and Watford have been this season.

i do wonder what would've happened had pearson not been sacked though. they had 2 tough games but would they have scraped a point vs arsenal and maybe not been stuffed by as many goals by city?

bournemouth didn't have a good team IMO...their top players (per the fan end of season awards) were ake (only 9 appearances for city), ramsdale (utter dogshit and has had a big hand in sheff utd's relegation) and josh king (11 apps for everton, no goals). howe's poor recruitment was a major factor in their relegation.

next season's championship will be interesting. i think swansea will push on if they don't come up through playoffs, and whoever doesn't win out of bournemouth and brentford i reckon will get automatic promotion. bournemouth should keep most of their team together and so should brentford, as toney has only been there a year.

I think Watford might have had a chance if they'd have kept on Pearson, can't say for sure though, but if they'd have had him as manager all season they probably would have finished midtable as that's pretty much what their form was whilst he was in charge.

As for Bournemouth, in their previous four seasons in the premier league they'd finished 14th, 12th, 9th, 16th, so not quite as good as I'd thought, but still I don't think many were tipping them to go down and given that they didn't lose many players as a championship squad they have a very strong team, probably stronger than any of the relegated teams this season will end up with next season, and even then they still might not come straight back up.

Wasn't long ago that people were talking about the gap between the championship and premier league shrinking, citing the money we were able to spend, and the players being attracted to that division by teams like us, Wolves and Newcastle, and even Leeds with Bielsa.

9 hours ago, useless said:

Not counting this season, of those 15 teams, only us, Newcastle, Norwich Burnley and Fulham ever came back up at all. It took us and Norwich 3 years to do it too.

That's what I loved about the Championship. The relegated teams typically struggled and couldn't always expect to stroll the league when they came back down. Now I predict there'll always be at least 2 relegated teams challenging every season.

The thing with the championship there's usually teams that come from nowhere to either challenge for promotion or actually get promoted, this season it's Barnsley, last season it was Brentford, the season before that not many would have predicted us, Norwich and Sheffield United for promotion, us because of our off the field problems, Norwich had appointed an unknown manager and signed a bunch of players for cheap that at the time no one had heard of, at the time they were basically accused of trying to copy what Huddersfield had done with Wagner, and I don't think Sheffield United were one of the favorites either the season before they'd finished tenth.

It's simple with the promoted teams...no one expected Norwich to keep all of Max Aarons, Buendia and Cantwell. In normal times all three would've moved on to premier league or european clubs.

Same with Watford keeping Saar and to lesser extent likes of Will Hughes.

Even Bournemouth kept most of their first teamers, they just messed up giving Tindall the job for half a season.

Covid massively helped the three relegated teams imo. Compare that to West Brom who went down in 2018 and sold half their team although given how toxic it was they probably needed to, same for us in 2016.

Would've been actually interesting to see how many we'd kept if the worst had happened last season. Aside from Grealish and a few squad players moving on I suspect we'd have kept largely same 11 as what we were playing end of last season and could've still tempted likes of Matt Cash at least.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, useless said:

No I think the major difference now is the amount of money you get for being in the premier league due to the latest TV deal. It blows the championship teams out of the water. I expect to see more yo-yo teams in the seasons to come.

• Like 2

There's always been a major difference in money between the premier league and championship, that's not something new to last season. As countless championship teams have seen money doesn't guarantee promotion from that division.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LondonLax said:

No I think the major difference now is the amount of money you get for being in the premier league due to the latest TV deal. It blows the championship teams out of the water. I expect to see more yo-yo teams in the seasons to come.

People have always been saying that.

Even 3-5 years ago, a Premier League team was getting around £80-100 million more than a Championship team.

I think it will be same as usual in future years.   

9 hours ago, ender4 said:

People have always been saying that.

Even 3-5 years ago, a Premier League team was getting around £80-100 million more than a Championship team.

I think it will be same as usual in future years.   

I think it depends on the team going down WBA and Norwich expect it don't spend and plan accordingly.

Teams that risk it more spend more and have to sell decent players to balance the books if they go down after promotion.

Then you have teams that have been around for years stagnating like us and it takes a while to sort shit out.

12 hours ago, LondonLax said:

I think we need to wait for more data before we can say that relegated teams will pretty much always be competitive from now on. Yes, it's happened this season, but as @useless has shown it hasn't happened in previous seasons, and indeed there have been one or two double-relegations in recent times. If this pattern continues for another 2-3 seasons then we can say it with confidence, but one season could just be an anomaly, or could be something to do with covid, as @VillaChris suggested.

On 12/05/2021 at 09:47, useless said:

I think Watford might have had a chance if they'd have kept on Pearson

Which would've been at our expense.  I wonder if we had gone down if we'd be celebrating promotion right now?

I think we would have at least challenged for promotion, but it's hard to say. I think Watford's last three games were West Ham, Man City, and Arsenal, so even with Pearson would have been tough for them, West Ham is the game that they might have got something from, but they lost that 3-1, so no guarantees that Pearson would have been the difference, but they probably would have had a better chance at least.

42 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Which would've been at our expense.  I wonder if we had gone down if we'd be celebrating promotion right now?

i was looking back on the closing stages of that season the other day and this decision was absolutely pivotal

they sacked pearson and then lost 4-0, the same gameweek where we beat arsenal. until then their GD (-23 vs our -27) was basically worth an extra point. that 5 goal swing meant us being outside the relegation zone going into the final day and must have been psychologically massive for our lads.

had we gone down we definitely would have lost jack, but you'd think Toney would have been top of our shopping list (as we'd have had no chance of getting watkins) so we certainly would've challenged.

i think we'd have kept our defence, and still have had a chance of signing cash.

would we have had steer in goal? probably

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

I wouldn't say it's going completely unnoticed, but Fulham having a pretty remarkable season.

At their current rate, they'll be on for 97 points - which is great, but not entirely unexpected for a Championship winner (Norwich had 97 last season, Leeds with 93 the season before) - but more notably, they'd be on for 122 goals and a GD of 81.  Whilst that goal tally wouldn't beat an EFL record (held by Peterborough United who scored 134 in 1960/61), it would beat the current Championship record which is 99 (Reading 2005/06).  They've also got a real shot at breaking the current EFL GD record (Liverpool with +69 in 1978/79).

Having played just 29 games out of the 46 in a season, Fulham have outscored every single team from last season bar Brentford (3rd) who scored 79.   In fact, over the last 5 full seasons, only 10 sides have managed to score more than Fulham's current 77 goals - in full seasons!  Further, Mitrovic has already equalled the best ever Championship player goalscoring record with 30 goals in just 27 games (Ivan Toney and Glenn Murray both with 30 are the ones he's level with).  With 17 games to go in the season, I imagine that record will be absolutely smashed.

So yeah, Marco Silva oft held as some sort of "myth of a manager", but it seems he's got Fulham playing really well and on for all sorts of goal-related records this season.

Edited by bobzy
  • Like 1

Their attack is just too good for championship.

Mitrovic probably going to shoot 40 + goals at rate he's going, Harry Wilson is the typical too good for championship/not good enough for prem type and Carvalho very good young prospect although seems Liverpool have sewn that deal up in the summer. Add in likes of Bobby Reid and they were always going to be comfortable.

Big thing they need to address in prem is sorting out the defence as they always seem to start the season with likes of Tim Read and Odoi and shipping 3-4 goals. Think Odoi finally left last week.

8 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Their attack is just too good for championship.

Mitrovic probably going to shoot 40 + goals at rate he's going, Harry Wilson is the typical too good for championship/not good enough for prem type and Carvalho very good young prospect although seems Liverpool have sewn that deal up in the summer. Add in likes of Bobby Reid and they were always going to be comfortable.

Big thing they need to address in prem is sorting out the defence as they always seem to start the season with likes of Tim Read and Odoi and shipping 3-4 goals. Think Odoi finally left last week.

Really? I saw him starting games very recently...couldn't believe my eyes.

• 3 months later...

Already lost two of their best players in Anguissa and Carvalho, surprised to see they let Seri go as well, didn't work out for him at first but last season played thirty plus games for them and played pretty well.

They're going to have to do well in the transfer market, as well as they did this season a lot of their squad are players that have previously struggled at Premier League level, they seem to have a lot that are too good for Championship but struggle in the Premier League.

• Like 1

Â