Fulham

Demitri_C

12 hours ago, Xela said:

I think some people (me included) just got fed up of years of abysmal football. 

Even when we were finishing 6th in the Premier League, we were losing our best players year in year out (Barry, Milner, Young, Downing)

The thing is I'd rather lose our players to top sides as opposed to teams like Fulham which happened with Joe Bryan this summer. 

Also wouldn't you wbat players like Mings and grealish here? You are not going to have players of that quality in the  championship. 

Also even after Mon left we pulled out some unbelievable results. Destroying Liverpool, beating arsenal 3-1 at Emirates and who can forget that comeback 3-2 win against man City? 

Give me one of those over a 3-0 over middlesborough any day. 

10 hours ago, Czechlad said:

I do worry because on paper Fulham's squad was pretty solid. 

Mitrovic, Sessegnon, Cairney, Ream, and Bryan were all good championship players. 

They had some decent signings too. Seri was a really big one, Schurlle, and Anguissa were also good pick ups. 

Just makes me nervous. Fulham's team that went up reminds me of our current team. 

You have to remember though they signed a shed load of players and spent stupid money like the year we went down. This approach does not work. Even wolves did not sign that many players and look at them. The manager I think is really key. The biggest mistake Fulham made was bringing raneri. That was always going to be a disaster. 

18 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Also wouldn't you wbat players like Mings and grealish here? You are not going to have players of that quality in the  championship. 

We literally do have players of that quality in the Championship. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Not for long. 

Maybe. But we didn't have our best players for long in the Premier League either. 

If what fans want out of supporting their team is the certainty that their top players won't move to another club, then really they should support Man City, Barcelona or Real Madrid. 

Edited by HanoiVillan
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

We literally do have players of that quality in the Championship. 

Your kidding yourself if you think we can keep them long term as a championship club. 

20 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Maybe. But we didn't have our best players for long in the Premier League either. 

If what fans want out of supporting their team is the certainty that their top players won't move to another club, then really they should support Man City, Barcelona or Real Madrid. 

We will keep them even shorter in the championship. At least we would have more swing in the Premier league as opposed to championship. 

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

We will keep them even shorter in the championship. At least we would have more swing in the Premier league as opposed to championship. 

Since we came down we havent sold any of our big players and rejected bids for Grealish in summer

Just now, Zatman said:

Since we came down we havent sold any of our big players and rejected bids for Grealish in summer

We had parachute money then no we don't so I think your being very unrealistic of you think that will happen again this summer and summers after. 

Also you think their heads won't be swayed by double or even treble for what can be offered in wages? 

57 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Your kidding yourself if you think we can keep them long term as a championship club. 

51 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

We had parachute money then no we don't so I think your being very unrealistic of you think that will happen again this summer and summers after. 

Also you think their heads won't be swayed by double or even treble for what can be offered in wages? 

Dem, I'm quite clear-eyed about how difficult it is to keep your best players in the Championship. I would be astonished if we don't sell Grealish in the summer. But the point I'm making is, it's incredibly difficult to keep your best players in the PL as well, if you're not a top 6 side. By the summer, Grealish will have been an essential part of the first team, on top form, for about two and a half seasons. We managed to keep Benteke for three; Milner and Downing for only two. 

All clubs are 'selling clubs' except arguably the top 6 in England, the top 2 in Spain, and the top 1 in Italy and Germany. 

22 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Dem, I'm quite clear-eyed about how difficult it is to keep your best players in the Championship. I would be astonished if we don't sell Grealish in the summer. But the point I'm making is, it's incredibly difficult to keep your best players in the PL as well, if you're not a top 6 side. By the summer, Grealish will have been an essential part of the first team, on top form, for about two and a half seasons. We managed to keep Benteke for three; Milner and Downing for only two. 

All clubs are 'selling clubs' except arguably the top 6 in England, the top 2 in Spain, and the top 1 in Italy and Germany. 

I agree with that point but at least if its a city you can get big money for your player. Having a team like West ham for example poaching players form you is more depressing. 

Let's say summer we don't go up and we bid for Mings West ham (a shit Premier league team) and double our bid then w ehavw no chance. Or we can offer the same as West ham but Mings would go there instead of a team playing km championship. 

We are also restricted in wages what we can offer down here. There is absolutely no positives staying down here instead of playing Premier league

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

You have to remember though they signed a shed load of players and spent stupid money like the year we went down. This approach does not work. Even wolves did not sign that many players and look at them. The manager I think is really key. The biggest mistake Fulham made was bringing raneri. That was always going to be a disaster. 

That's true but some of those signings did seem smart. I think promoted teams should only look to improve on maybe 2-3 starters from the team that took them up.

Look at our current team, I'd want a new right wing, left back, and probably a DM. 

Changing out the likes of El Ghazi, Hourihane, a keeper, defender, etc would ruin the chemistry. 

9 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Also even after Mon left we pulled out some unbelievable results. Destroying Liverpool, beating arsenal 3-1 at Emirates and who can forget that comeback 3-2 win against man City? 

Give me one of those over a 3-0 over middlesborough any day. 

A handful of results over a 5 or 6 year period? The majority of performances in that period from when MON left to being relegated were absolute dross.

I get what you are saying but I don't want us to be one of those teams whose sole aim is to survive in the premier league. 

7 minutes ago, Xela said:

A handful of results over a 5 or 6 year period? The majority of performances in that period from when MON left to being relegated were absolute dross.

I get what you are saying but I don't want us to be one of those teams whose sole aim is to survive in the premier league. 

I dint think we will be. Yes maybe if we get there t( first couple years may be but long term I believe we will eb challenging top half again. Tha5 I much prefer than lying sixth in the championship 

4 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I dint think we will be. Yes maybe if we get there t( first couple years may be but long term I believe we will eb challenging top half again. Tha5 I much prefer than lying sixth in the championship 

What is challenging top half? Wolves are 7th and about 15 points behind 6th and they are having a brilliant season

9 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Such a tough one because the Championship is so much more enjoyable from a competitive point of view.  We have a chance of winning something.  Further, there is absolutely no game that we go into where I'm thinking "**** me, no chance we're winning this" so you experience proper highs and lows.

The Premier League would involve trying to survive and feeling pretty flat about whether or not we're able to go to Anfield or the Etihad and not get tonked by 3 goals or more.  I mean, sure, we'd have loads more money and Grealish would potentially stay, which is great, but the overall season would be... more dull?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I'd say all clubs are selling clubs to Real Madrid and Barcelona. 

Â