Fulham

Demitri_C

Neymar was sold because Barca thought the money they could get for him was more than he was worth, so because they wanted to sell, not because PSG are a bigger club. That said Barca do have a crushingly high wage bill as well. If Madrid wanted one one Man City's players they would just bid for them. Man City might be rich but Real really do have 'f you' money, they are basically bankrolled by the state, and as Europe's most successful team have the prestige to go along with it. 

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

What is challenging top half? Wolves are 7th and about 15 points behind 6th and they are having a brilliant season

And what are we challenging now a play off spot? I know where I'd rather be. 

I can't believe some. Of our fan base are happy with such low aspirations for our club. 

2 hours ago, bobzy said:

Such a tough one because the Championship is so much more enjoyable from a competitive point of view.  We have a chance of winning something.  Further, there is absolutely no game that we go into where I'm thinking "**** me, no chance we're winning this" so you experience proper highs and lows.

The Premier League would involve trying to survive and feeling pretty flat about whether or not we're able to go to Anfield or the Etihad and not get tonked by 3 goals or more.  I mean, sure, we'd have loads more money and Grealish would potentially stay, which is great, but the overall season would be... more dull?

But we are making out as if we would be competitive in this league every year. What happens if we become a midtableclub in the championship? That could very easily happen. 

I'd rather be a midtable Premier league club any day to where we currently are. 

57 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

And what are we challenging now a play off spot? I know where I'd rather be. 

I can't believe some. Of our fan base are happy with such low aspirations for our club. 

I understand the sentiment, fighting with hope and winning and being competitive is a welcome change. But the problem is that used to be us in the top tier. The last 6 years in the PL was just circling around the drain, no fun.

But I too have enjoyed the Championship actually, and we are a bottom half PL team at present.

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

But we are making out as if we would be competitive in this league every year. What happens if we become a midtableclub in the championship? That could very easily happen. 

I'd rather be a midtable Premier league club any day to where we currently are. 

Why? What’s so exciting about midtable Premier League? (Very much derailing the Fulham thread...  but I guess it could’ve been us rather than them, so there’s a link somehow!)

Prem teams are broken up into 

Potential title winners - at most 3 of these a season but usually just two. 

Champions league contenders - the next 3/4 teams who usually iron out the pilchards but aren't quite consistent enough and lose to the very top teams. 

Upper mid table - teams 7-9 in the league. Hoping to get some good wins, and maybe go on a nice cup run. Villa for most of their league status. 

Mid table - 10-12in the league. Absolutely nothing going on. Too good for the drop, too shit to challenge for anything. Only excitement is if they have an amazing/abysmal start so they think something different will happen before regressing to the mean. 

Lower mid table - 13-15. Unlikely to go on any long cup run. Just about good enough against the relegation fodder to get to 45 points. Unlikely to take more than 2 points from the big 6.

Bottom feeders - 16-18. These desperate teams will be fighting to survive the whole season and will normally sacrifice a cup run to do so, although there are exceptions, wigan, sha and villa notable examples. Lose almost all away games. Would consider a win against any of the big 6 a minor miracle. Hoping to get enough against their peers to survive. However, sometimes capable of a random win streak usually as part of new manager bounce. Villas league status from mcleish-ebd of sherwoods first season. 

Piss-ants - 19-20 - The true urchins of the league. Usually a crappy championship team who lucked into promotion or a formerly mid/lower mid team which had years of under investment and mismanagement. Will lose around 28 games a season. Best the fans can hope for is a league cup quarter final and to not lose their few decent players upon relegation. Villas last season in the league. 

I want us to go up but being potentially part of the last two won't be fun.. But we need to be at the top table. 

Edited by VillaJ100

I don’t even think it’s that varied these days.

You’ve got Man City and Liverpool, then 4 other clubs (in theory, any of these could win the title).

Then you’ve got 7th to 14th which is made up of a host of clubs too good to go down, but not good enough to break the top 6. 

Then 15th to 20th which is your relegation battle. 

If we won promotion and finished mid table in the premier league next season, that would be fantastic. I wouldn’t go so far as saying it would be “exciting”, but it would most likely have meant we secured some good results along the way. It would probably have been one of the best seasons in about ten or so years, admittedly not saying much there. 

But, as with lots of football clubs and a lot of supporters, finishing mid table a few times in a row would quickly become stale and sections of fans would become restless. People quickly adjust to their new comfortable surroundings and all of a sudden finishing 12th or 13th would be the worst thing ever. 

I’d try and remember that we nearly went bust last summer to appreciate the context, but I can’t pretend there’s not a chance impatience wouldn’t creep in eventually.

If it wasn’t for the financial side of things, I’d quite happily stay in the championship for years. I really don’t miss the wankfest of the premier league.

It wouldn’t surprise me if there’s a few Fulham supporters who are quietly looking forward to next season with renewed enthusiasm now that their fate has finally be sealed.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bobzy said:

Why? What’s so exciting about midtable Premier League? (Very much derailing the Fulham thread...  but I guess it could’ve been us rather than them, so there’s a link somehow!)

Again I ask your under the assumption we will be always Chalke going for top six. Our financial problems could get worse and we become anothee forest Wednesday etc. You think Leeds fans want to stay here? 

Also eventually our fans will get fed up an dyou will see half empty villa parks. 

I want us to be testing ourselves against the countries best not beating the likes of Rotherham and Bolton. That for me is a small club mentality. 

If we go up we will be in a relegation battle unless major investment which is still no guarantee and a chance we would go back down like Fulham 

Players would leave anyway and maybe for less. Premier League is really not that special. Teams spending bucketloads like West Ham, Everton and Bournemouth and just plodding along to averageness

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

If we go up we will be in a relegation battle unless major investment which is still no guarantee and a chance we would go back down like Fulham 

Players would leave anyway and maybe for less. Premier League is really not that special. Teams spending bucketloads like West Ham, Everton and Bournemouth and just plodding along to averageness

Yet Watford are in the semis of the fa Cup. Give me that any day than beating Rotherham or blackburn rovers. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

So a bit like us in the Championship then :)

I really hate being in the Championship, pretending to get exited when we narrowly beat some plucky club that has assembled their squad for less than we spend on loan players twice a season.

Only purpose of this league is to get out of it, every club in it is bleeding money and while we might have wealthy owners that can cover for us it's pretty much "cheating" since the club itself isn't sustainable.

At least the PL clubs are earning the money they are wasting, we are not.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Yet Watford are in the semis of the fa Cup. Give me that any day than beating Rotherham or blackburn rovers. 

What does the F.A. Cup have to do with the Premier League?

10 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

But, as with lots of football clubs and a lot of supporters, finishing mid table a few times in a row would quickly become stale and sections of fans would become restless. People quickly adjust to their new comfortable surroundings and all of a sudden finishing 12th or 13th would be the worst thing ever. 

I actually remember quite enjoying our initial relegation battles as games properly mattered and it was a break from plodding along in mid table.

(Of course, things got worse quickly and then it became not so enjoyable at all...)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Maybe; they haven't bought anyone from City yet, though, or have they?

They bought Brahim Diaz this January for about £15m. Not taken a first team player off them but taken a highly rated Spain u21. Supposedly that was quite friendly though and the two clubs have a good relationship.

I'd be curious to see if the rumours of them wanting to take Sterling in the summer have any weight.

Â