John McGinn

PompeyVillan

12 hours ago, Pissflaps said:

Why would Tottenham want him. They already have at least 4 better midfielders already

Maybe because others, in this case top quality professional football managers, think he's a lot better than the average punter on Villatalk does?

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Maybe because others, in this case top quality professional football managers, think he's a lot netter better than the average punter on Villatalk does?

The same lot who judge players based on 1 performance, Managers on 1/4 seasons, and boards on singular moves?

The same lot who convinced us Bentacur was shite, surely not?

• Like 1

In a slightly more defensive role than Ramsey on the right hand side cutting in makes no sense to me. Look what happened for the 3rd goal against Burnley . Gets the ball on his stronger side , further up the field and puts in a gorgeous cross. It is what he is strong at.  He is another moments player. Doesnt run a game because he doesnt have the passing skill or patience . But he is capable of exceptional moments in a game 

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Maybe because others, in this case top quality professional football managers, think he's a lot netter better than the average punter on Villatalk does?

What would you say, besides hilarious japery, are McGinns strengths?

I think he's best as an attacking midfielder for a team that don't expect top level productivity from that position. Because he'll put a lovely ball in or score a banger once in a blue moon, but too slow to cover the 8 or 6 position, and his passing is erratic all too often. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, Mazrim said:

What would you say, besides hilarious japery, are McGinns strengths?

I think he's best as an attacking midfielder for a team that don't expect top level productivity from that position. Because he'll put a lovely ball in or score a banger once in a blue moon, but too slow to cover the 8 or 6 position, and his passing is erratic all too often. 

My opinion is irrelevant here.  If Conte is going to put a big bid in for him with the "4 better midfielders he has already" then Conte obviously think's he's got strengths others on here aren't seeing or appreciating.

Or maybe the Tottenham changing room really does need £50m of hilarious japery.  I mean I can't see Kane being a barrel of laughs.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

McGinn plays so deep because we have much better attacking midfielders than him. He doesn't have the attributes to enjoy consistent success as an attacking midfielder.

Agreed. And better 6s and 8s. Hence its time to move on.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

In a slightly more defensive role than Ramsey on the right hand side cutting in makes no sense to me. Look what happened for the 3rd goal against Burnley . Gets the ball on his stronger side , further up the field and puts in a gorgeous cross. It is what he is strong at.  He is another moments player. Doesnt run a game because he doesnt have the passing skill or patience . But he is capable of exceptional moments in a game 

Agreed. Until we resolve the defensive midfield spot(s?) in our team we will not see the best of SJM. This season he has played a role for the team rather that one that he is strongest at. The comparison to his Scotland performances and how Villa deploy him is night and day!

I think we have a good player, hence the links to Spurs & United, a battler in tough times and someone who would be a very positive influence in the dressing room.

Can’t think off too many squads who would not benefit from a John McGinn.

UTV

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tom13 said:

McGinn plays so deep because we have much better attacking midfielders than him. He doesn't have the attributes to enjoy consistent success as an attacking midfielder.

12 goals and 5 assists in 23 internationals playing as an attacking mid suggests you're bang wrong. 

Edited by Steero113

10 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

12 goals and 5 assists in 23 internationals playing as an attacking mid suggests you're bang wrong. 

Scotland don't play like we do, do they? And what level of opposition are those numbers against?

Are you seriously telling me you'd rather have McGinn starting over any of our other AMs/wingers?

Edited by Tom13

54 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Scotland don't play like we do, do they? And what level of opposition are those numbers against?

Are you seriously telling me you'd rather have McGinn starting over any of our other AMs/wingers?

Not as a winger no of course not. 

As an AM we've never tried him (Scotland have) and I would be open to him being one of a choice of 4 options for that position over having him as an 8 or a 6 for sure. 

Just now, Steero113 said:

Not as a winger no of course not. 

As an AM we've never tried him (Scotland have) and I would be open to him being one of a choice of 4 options for that position over having him as an 8 or a 6 for sure. 

Its where he plays for Scotland and won their player of the year

It is weird we've never at least tried it 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

Its where he plays for Scotland and won their player of the year

It is weird we've never at least tried it 

My options for next season would be Buendia, Coutinho, McGinn and Chukwuemeka. 

EDIT: If we are playing with two 10's....

Edited by Steero113

FWIW I agree with Buendia and Coutinho we do have 2 better 10s imo but mcginn has been here for 4 years now, at least 2 of them we were screaming out for a 10 to play off grealish and from my memory we've never played him there

And the question vs what level - Scotlands last 3 games in which he played as a 10 was vs Austria, Poland and Denmark so the level is fine 

9 hours ago, Mazrim said:

I really, really hope we're not offering him a new contract. I also really, really hope somebody believes the mystifying hype and we mug them off for a big fee.

I just want to see a team sheet he isn't guaranteed to be on again. I want to see a player in our midfield in his place who is really good at something, instead of average at everything.

So for instance: Kamara, Bissouma, Ramsey, Buendia and Coutinho. With Chukwuemeka, Luiz, Iroegbunam, Bailey and JPB offering competition / rotation.

You watched his performance tonight??

Â