John McGinn

PompeyVillan

Wolves at home, he was incredible for 80 minutes. He had legs, stamina, was turning people, snapping into tackles, in peoples faces, driving forward, creating chances, getting shots off.

Then a good 70% of the time it's yesterday. His feet are like lead boots and he just does not move.

I don't understand it, but I know more than ever he isn't the guy

Last night, when Leeds were playing it down the line, the midfielder then carries on forward to create the "give-go" John didn't once match his opponent for getting back.  

He HATES running towards his own goal.  There was a moment last night (it's on the MOTD highlights where they nearly scored again in the 1st half) and he jogs backs, despite a very obvious dangerous attack, that he could have been key in nullifying, if he'd just made the effort to get back.

I understand he's a good player to have, he did do some good things last night, tight turns, driving forward on a couple of occasions, but defensively, he really didn't help out much at all.  Towards the end of the game, we cleared the ball to Watkins, he held it up and NOT ONE midfield player made the effort to get up the pitch (collectively they should all go, to put pressure on Leeds), but we let their defenders have way too much time on the ball, we let them settle into a rhythm and that put more unwanted pressure on our defence. 

The attacking output of the midfield was good last night, but I don't think any of them (bar Buendia) wanted to do the dirty stuff, which is where Leeds got so much joy out of it. 

Pretty disappointing that we've allowed Leeds to outwork us at VP again.  That being said, two of their goals were from set pieces and we only had one operating CB (Mings), so it was a amalgamation of all things really. 

Shame though, that's another 2/3 points we should have had on the board, which is the story of our season this year tbh, giving shit teams opportunities to snatch from us is something we must work on.  

EDIT, I will make the point that he did a great defensive header to stop Raphina probably scoring in the 80th or so minute - that was good! 

Edited by lapal_fan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kiwivillan said:

Did you find those posts of me bagging Ramsey last season that I don't recall posting? 

Sorry I offended you, it wasn’t particularly aimed at you, it was just the case last season the constant “ don’t see it” “needs a loan” “never that good to start with” post just like the one you posted about Chuckwemeka last night, I’m ever so sorry that you felt offended by this, but plenty dug out a 18 year old last night who is slowly getting integrated to first team football and developing ,this was the guy everybody was screaming for to start ahed of Ramsey last season.  And no I didn’t scroll back through post to look at what you posted, sorry for upsetting  you.

2 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

He absolutely didn't. You wouldn't have known he was on the pitch most the game. He does nothing. He brings nothing most the time. With the ball absolutely 100% invisible. Not an option. Not in space and damn well sure wasn't running to show for the ball.

But he blocked some 50/50s out for throw-ins so he's a swashbuckling all action midfielder.

" Shut that door ".

68% pass accuracy last night, averaging about 74% on the season

That's easily one of the lowest for a regular starting CM in the league (CM's at the better teams are generally 80 to 85%).

He had a few games when Gerrard first came and he was hitting 85%/90%, playing much more sensibly and we looked better as a team for it

But now he's gone back to his 100mph, trying to hit hollywood long passes all the time. 

You are never going to control games when your first midfield name on the team sheet is gifting the opposition the ball so cheaply.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, gwi1890 said:

Sorry I offended you, it wasn’t particularly aimed at you, it was just the case last season the constant “ don’t see it” “needs a loan” “never that good to start with” post just like the one you posted about Chuckwemeka last night, I’m ever so sorry that you felt offended by this, but plenty dug out a 18 year old last night who is slowly getting integrated to first team football and developing ,this was the guy everybody was screaming for to start ahed of Ramsey last season.  And no I didn’t scroll back through post to look at what you posted, sorry for upsetting  you.

@Kiwivillan

Another player now not good enough I see? If we sold him. he'd go to a team higher in the table than us. He's rated highly by Gerrard and he knows what makes a good midfielder! 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Xela said:

Another player now not good enough I see? If we sold him. he'd go to a team higher in the table than us. He's rated highly by Gerrard and he knows what makes a good midfielder! 

I think it is clear that Gerrard wants to sign at least one more midfielder in the summer.  You would have to say that at the moment JJ is THE midfielder stamping his claim on a starting position next season.  JJ is more like the all action, slightly more attack minded central midfielder that McGinn is rather than more of a playmaker like Luiz.  Therefore, in terms of skills - the emergence of JJ is a much bigger threat to McGinn than it is to Luiz.  I know opinion is heavily divided here on the Luiz v McGinn front.  I think McGinn may well have to get used to the idea that, maybe even next season, he finds his role is as the impact sub.  I certainly wouldn't want to get rid of him but his place in the starting XI is now under serious threat and he needs to really step up between now and the end of the season.  And this is a good thing.  For too long several of our players have been pretty much guaranteed a starting place - the sooner that changes and almost everyone knows that the players on the bench are after their spot in the team the better.

26 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Thanks for admitting I never said Ramsey was overrated after posting that I did say he was. Much appreciated

I definitely said late last season / early this season that I was struggling to see the hype about JJ and why he was getting so many chances.  But he has become a different player in the last 2 - 3 months.   I don't know how much of that is getting more experience / confidence from just playing more or how much of it is down to Gerrard and Gary Mac really inspiring him.  But at the moment he is the only one of the 3 CMs who seems to be booking his place in the first team next season.  I genuinely cannot see how you can't pick him ahead of McGinn and Luiz (even bearing in mind that they have slightly different roles) on current form let alone potential.  His two goals yesterday were of the very, very top quality - his reading of the game, his busting a gut to get into the right position and his awareness of what Coutinho was going to do were all absolutely exceptional.  The ability to read the game and get into the right place at the right time is what makes the difference between a good player and a potentially exceptional player.  JJ seems to have that knack.

15 minutes ago, allani said:

I think it is clear that Gerrard wants to sign at least one more midfielder in the summer.  You would have to say that at the moment JJ is THE midfielder stamping his claim on a starting position next season.  JJ is more like the all action, slightly more attack minded central midfielder that McGinn is rather than more of a playmaker like Luiz.  Therefore, in terms of skills - the emergence of JJ is a much bigger threat to McGinn than it is to Luiz.  I know opinion is heavily divided here on the Luiz v McGinn front.  I think McGinn may well have to get used to the idea that, maybe even next season, he finds his role is as the impact sub.  I certainly wouldn't want to get rid of him but his place in the starting XI is now under serious threat and he needs to really step up between now and the end of the season.  And this is a good thing.  For too long several of our players have been pretty much guaranteed a starting place - the sooner that changes and almost everyone knows that the players on the bench are after their spot in the team the better.

If we sign a DCM I think Luiz is the one that will be either dropped or sold. 

Just now, PaulC said:

If we sign a DCM I think Luiz is the one that will be either dropped or sold. 

I think McGinn and JJ are too similar.  We need someone who can put their foot on the ball and pass the ball from the defence to the midfield.  McGinn is not that person.  He is far too keen on what someone earlier described the "hollywood pass" and that isn't what we need.  So unless our DCM is also incredibly good at passing the ball I think we'd struggle to link with the front 3 without Luiz in the team.  I don't think we are after a DCM as much as a CM who is happier playing slightly deeper.

1 hour ago, Kiwivillan said:

Thanks for admitting I never said Ramsey was overrated after posting that I did say he was. Much appreciated

I’ll remember to look through multiple post before quoting you again and try be a little bit more sensitive 🤣🤣🤣

4 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

I’ll remember to look through multiple post before quoting you again and try be a little bit more sensitive 🤣🤣🤣

I just don't like being accused of saying something I never said. Is that wrong?

Peace. UTV!

Edited by Kiwivillan

7 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

I just don't like being accused of saying something I never said. Is that wrong?

Peace. UTV!

It was just a post in the match thread like I said it wasn’t particularly directed at you, just yours was the last post I saw slating a 18 year old , so I quoted you. sorry for upsetting you again, peace UTV.

Edited by gwi1890

I just don't get why he plays every game he isnt that good and we do have other options(Sanson, Iroegbunam etc). I mean if he just ran himself into the floor for 60 mins then we subbed him for Sanson surely would be better. 

Just coasts through games and is still untouchable his Scottish charm must work aswell as it does on this forum as in real life. 

He is without doubt the worst defensively midfielder we have and really handicaps the system due to his limitations. 

Guy gets a total free pass cuz people like his personality on this forum. 

Â