John McGinn

PompeyVillan

10 hours ago, troon_villan said:

Another mammoth performance tonight.  Definitely misused by Smith.  I'm no expert but Gerrard is so will be interesting to see how the rest of the season goes for him.

Misused feels harsh. McGinn has unquestionably chucked in beasts multiple times. I love John but playing in a deeper midfield role doesn't excuse him forgetting how to pass a ball for 45/60 mins at a time.

McGinn is that good, he takes on such great responsibility, he's going to be on the pitch in any spare role that's left over if you've stuck others where they need to play IMO.

He'll play deeper again under Gerrard occasionally if we move into a 4231.

47 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

I read Gerrard changed the captain when he started at Rangers.

Wonder how close McGinn might be to the armband.

The McGinn of 2021 isn't even a guaranteed starter for me never mind having the armband. The Mcginn of Scotland 2021 probably would be our captain.

Lets hope Stevie can get the latter playing for us.

• Like 3

SJM was immense for Scotland last night. 

If Stevie G can get that level of performance out of him week in week out we have a top Premiership midfielder. 

McGinn is a proper box to box midfielder. Playing him anywhere else is a waste of his talents. 

• Like 2

I know McGinn is naturally a more forward-thinking player but we are fairly stacked there.

Also Villa and Gerrard play a slightly different formation to Scotland where he is much more of a 'free' role.

If we can get him playing for Villa in a similar position to Scotland then great. Guess we'll wait and see what happens.

One thing is for sure McGinn will be bouncing when he gets back to Bodymoor Heath.

• Like 3

Having listened to some of the interviews with Beale it would seem Rangers liked to play with one proper deep lying defensive midfielder and then leave the other two midfielders to press much higher up the pitch. For McGinn that would be ideal. I think January will definitely see that much wanted DM coming in.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, picicata said:

Having listened to some of the interviews with Beale it would seem Rangers liked to play with one proper deep lying defensive midfielder and then leave the other two midfielders to press much higher up the pitch. For McGinn that would be ideal. I think January will definitely see that much wanted DM coming in.

I think that "other 2" role you describe could work for all of Luiz,  McGinn,  Sanson (if he's ever fit) and Ramsey. Luiz isn't strong enough to be the lone cdm, but if they find someone who is I'd love to see Luiz given the role further forward.

They'd all have their limitations,  but McGinn would surely shine in that role, it would be perfect for him. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, picicata said:

Well, if we do that it'll have to be Nakamba for the time being as he's the only one who can really do that role. It'll be interesting to see if they cut their cloth accordingly and adapt to the players they have, or if they persevere with that style. It's an adjustment for them as their style of play was also based on having a stronger team than certainly all but one opposition (I've no idea how the Celtic and Rangers teams match up), whereas now they've got a midtable strength side with strengths and weaknesses. Failure to adapt cost Farke and Norwich twice, and Smith was saved by the COVID break which allowed him to make the necessary adjustments to our style of play. I imagine Beale is relishing the challenge of maximising the strengths of the players tbh - he seems like that sort of character.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

I think that "other 2" role you describe could work for all of Luiz,  McGinn,  Sanson (if he's ever fit) and Ramsey. Luiz isn't strong enough to be the lone cdm, but if they find someone who is I'd love to see Luiz given the role further forward.

They'd all have their limitations,  but McGinn would surely shine in that role, it would be perfect for him. 

Its took a bit of time for that penny to drop...with some folk.

SG will pick it up on that straight away.

I agree with you further forward, he is neat and tidy...has the ability to play, players in.

10 minutes ago, TRO said:

Its took a bit of time for that penny to drop...with some folk.

SG will pick it up on that straight away.

I agree with you further forward, he is neat and tidy...has the ability to play, players in.

🤦‍♂️

He doesn't play as a CDM and hasn't for us. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

21 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Well, if we do that it'll have to be Nakamba for the time being as he's the only one who can really do that role. It'll be interesting to see if they cut their cloth accordingly and adapt to the players they have, or if they persevere with that style. It's an adjustment for them as their style of play was also based on having a stronger team than certainly all but one opposition (I've no idea how the Celtic and Rangers teams match up), whereas now they've got a midtable strength side with strengths and weaknesses. Failure to adapt cost Farke and Norwich twice, and Smith was saved by the COVID break which allowed him to make the necessary adjustments to our style of play. I imagine Beale is relishing the challenge of maximising the strengths of the players tbh - he seems like that sort of character.

That's been the bone of contention....one in a squad of 25 and questionable quality at that....should never have been.

24 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Steven Gerrard's? 

"Dean Smith's man" never scanned right because it's the wrong number of syllables, surely? 

Il be listening out on tv the weekend to see what you’ve come up with 👍

8 hours ago, lexicon said:

🤦‍♂️

He doesn't play as a CDM and hasn't for us. 

Nuances of the position aside, by whoscored heat map data alone McGinn has played defensive midfield two times this season alone.

I think that misses the point somewhat anyway, McGinn is clearly a better asset when he is given license, whether that be from central midfield or a more advanced position. We've seen evidence of that this season, when played in a 3 with Luiz doing the sitting and Ramsey alongside him prepared to do run the hard yards, giving McGinn more freedom to be bomb on and create havoc as he does for Scotland. When he has been asked to play in a midfield 2 in particular, as he has done for most of last season and this, he has looked a shell of his best self.

Smith has, for various reasons either by design or necessity, invariably shackled him throughout his Premier League tenure with his insistence on a 2 man midfield. Whether Gerrard et al will find a way to take those shackles off for the betterment of Aston Villa is TBC, but the potential is there in a 3.

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 1

Â