John McGinn

PompeyVillan

It's amazing how some players can really step up when playing internationally and going from a role player to key player. Tim Cahill for Australia is an obvious one for me. Was always a good player at Everton but seemed to grow a leg for the Socceroos. 

I think McGinn absolutely can be what we need in the midfield, he just needs to develop some consistency and guidance. I do think that he gets thought of more of a defensive midfielder because he's a nuggety workhorse type but I think he's much more effective when he can push forward. He needs to be more consistent though, he can't be getting tired after 60 minutes every week and he can't be anonymous as often as he is. His positioning could certainly use some work but that can be as much about the system as it is about the player.

• Like 2

I think McGinn is a fantastic player and under a solid system and in a team full of confidence he always shows this imo. Our biggest woes as of late has been that we've looked disjointed and players not showing for passes leading to total chancers the majority of the time. This was a problem with Dean's side from time to time for me. We could have periods of absolutely wonderful football followed by periods where we looked like we had never kicked a ball together as a unit before.

In a disciplined and organized squad I think we will see more of McGinn the magician and less of McGinn the anonymous/headless.

I bellieve a lot of his poor passing as of late have been largely contributed to absence of options and lack of structure. If the team is a bit shapeless then it's harder for players to know instinctively what to do imo, leading to more silly mistakes and poor decision making.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Sounds like Gerrard is really stamping down in discipline especially diet.

This bloke is in trouble. I've found the constant "in jokes" about his diet on social media the past few years tiresome. He's not fit enough.

McGinn should have played in the 90's...

I am looking forward to seeing where Gerrard uses SJM. He has been on fire for Scotland for the past year but rarely shown the same form for us. That may well be down to playing deeper for us and  having almost a free role for the Scots. Given the reported injuries to Luis & Morgan, we may well have to wait a bit longer for an answer.

13 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

I actually think he will be one player that improves under Gerrard. Don't ask me why but I think Gerrard will tap into him mentally and raise his game. 

I’m hoping this also , I remember hearing McGinn being a Liverpool fan maybe Gerrard was his idol growing up 

2 hours ago, Lochheads twin said:

I am looking forward to seeing where Gerrard uses SJM. He has been on fire for Scotland for the past year but rarely shown the same form for us. That may well be down to playing deeper for us and  having almost a free role for the Scots. Given the reported injuries to Luis & Morgan, we may well have to wait a bit longer for an answer.

For the most part he hasn't been playing against premier league standard players, so it's no wonder he looks better. I'm sure he'd tear it up every week if he were playing against the Faroe Islands, Israel, Moldova etc. 

11 minutes ago, lexicon said:

For the most part he hasn't been playing against premier league standard players, so it's no wonder he looks better. I'm sure he'd tear it up every week if he were playing against the Faroe Islands, Israel, Moldova etc. 

The only way we’ll know is if he’s consistently used the same way he is for Scotland 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, lexicon said:

So why is he often the standout performer for Scotland, ahead of many other capable footballers? Absolutely nothing to do with how he is utilised at all? 

10 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

So why is he often the standout performer for Scotland, ahead of many other capable footballers? Absolutely nothing to do with how he is utilised at all? 

Denmark is the first top class opposition that I’ve seen him stand out against for Scotland. He was playing as part of a front 3 apparently completely different position than he plays for us .

I love him, find him equally joyous and frustrating and really really hope that he thrives under the new regime.

55 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

What good players do Scotland have besides Andy Robertson, Tierney and arguably Gilmour?

And again, it's because he's playing against weaker opposition than he faces at league level, by and large. Let's see him do that against good opposition before we get carried away.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, lexicon said:

What good players do Scotland have besides Andy Robertson, Tierney and arguably Gilmour?

And again, it's because he's playing against weaker opposition than he faces at league level, by and large. Let's see him do that against good opposition before we get carried away.

And Gerrard wants us to become a possession based team. Can McGinn excel in a possession based team? I have my doubts, and I doubt Scotland dominate many games possession wise, and when they do, the opposition won't be up to much anyway.

I think diet and nutrition will be one of the top thing on Gerrards list to sort out amongst players who don't abide by it all to much. Gerrards certainly not just going to let it slide and he's right to come down tough on players who take the piss. Simply put your at a club in the top league in the world and your diet should be a no1 priority been as you a star in the best league and on all for that money, there is really just no excuses and there shouldn't of been every for anyone at this level of this game.

Mcginn can still have an excellent diet and still continue to eat crap here and there but it will just be much more of a lower rate, that's if it all is found to be a problem.

Everyone likes there food, but depending on your job you may have to accept that you just can't do what you want to do in order to maintain that job.

Personally I do not know whow all these cam girls, models celebs do it, sure some do pay the cheap way out and cheat but there are some who do do it legit for there career and its those who do it all legit that deserve alot of praise.

I hope whoever Gerrard clamps down on they stick to whatever dietary, supplement, extra training and exercise he comes up with, at the end of the day Gerrard has been there and done it all with Liverpool, not one of those players we have can at this moment even  stand near his pond. 

1 hour ago, picicata said:

I think, frustratingly for some, SJM will be one of Gerrard's favourites

I don’t think it’s about having favourites to be honest. He’s just far better than the alternative options in our squad. Our midfield has no strength in depth so whoever the manager is, McGinn is likely to be in the starting eleven in almost every game.

Â