John McGinn

PompeyVillan

3 hours ago, Keyblade said:

I'll never get tired of his goal against Spurs. That little header was pure class. Don't expect many strikers to be doing that, let alone a midfielder.

In fact, when I think about it, all of his goals for us bar the 2 he scored against Derby last season have been beauties.

all goals for us.......are beauties.

sorry I'm as biased as ****......and proud of it.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

Its hard to predict improvement.....but if I was a betting man, my money would be on John McGinn to be a super star for us.

For me he has a very rare attribute of actually going after the opponent as opposed to dealing with one when he arrives.

Its a rare commodity.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Not many pundits seem to be mentioning the dummy before the shot either? 

Rose had to buy a ticket to get back in.

It''s a pretty subtle dummy.

One could easily mistake it as a stutter step in an attempt to balance himself for a shot, especially considering he was full tilt.

Rose certainly bought a ticket, a one way trip to hook, line and sinker.

McGinn's actually a phenomenal little player. I really hope he spends many years with us.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

One could easily mistake it as a stutter step in an attempt to balance himself for a shot, especially considering he was full tilt.

McGinn's actually a phenomenal little player. I really hope he spends many years with us.

I concur.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TRO said:

Its hard to predict improvement.....but if I was a betting man, my money would be on John McGinn to be a super star for us.

For me he has a very rare attribute of actually going after the opponent as opposed to dealing with one when he arrives.

Its a rare commodity.

It's what separates two players of the same skill-set from being good, to being great, both in defense and attack.

The vast majority of the time, whoever controls the play has a significant advantage. The other must react and therefore can't do what they want to.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, A'Villan said:

To be fair to Rose: I was watching this live and I bought it too.

• Like 1

Best thing about John is that he's coping with the PL on the fly. In the first half the physicality was getting to him about, but then he just adjusted his sliders and he was back to his level again. Toughest player in the team. It will take our other players a few games to get used to this.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Farlz said:

Thought he was poor today 

That’s extremely harsh imo. 

He was our biggest goal threat and was all over the park again. 

As @Keyblade said, he was getting out muscled in the 1st half (albeit Atkinson was basically allowing Billing to play rugby in the middle of the park), but he stood up and got better as the game went on. 1/2 a yard away from another absolutely worldie too. 

He’ll have better games, but he was far from poor imo. 

Edited by wazzap24

9 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I agree that he was poor, had some good moments when he'd surge forward well but his passing was atrocious, giving the ball away too often and making some poor decision, did not play well.

I’m glad somebody else agrees. Reading Twitter people have given him man of the match and thought he was excellent... think he was watching a different game. Lost the ball too many times for me today.

• Like 1

I said he was my MOTM for the first half. I don’t think anyone else really did anything of note. He was fairly anonymous in the second half, which was disappointing.

No doubt contender for player of the season. Had the most efforts on goal from our team. Showed confidence in himself, bold confidence at that.

F*** me, the audacity of those two long range efforts on goal was only matched by the sheer skill in which he showed by nearly pulling them off!

Edited by A'Villan

On 18/08/2019 at 01:38, Dr_Pangloss said:

I agree that he was poor, had some good moments when he'd surge forward well but his passing was atrocious, giving the ball away too often and making some poor decision, did not play well.

I agreed. I hope he can develop game more , as he’s becoming a one dimensional player, only running straight at goal /shot fm outside box , no other new tricks etc. Maybe he do score some from distance by shooting outside the box in the championship, but it’s much more difficult in premiership with world class keeper & defenders.. if you don’t beat / trick a defender & and creat a opening , most likely the shot will be block, unless it’s a world class shot like Luis goal. 

Also , if you watch the Luis mistake that leads to the first goal , Mcggin nearest Trez  but with a defender next to him. He should at least move his position to a creat a better angle to receive the ball from Trez , but he just stood there like a tree.. forcing Trez to hit it to Luis instead as the defender is too near Mcggin. It seemed many English league players do not have the habit of pass & move to creat angle to receive ball , they expect their team mate to dribble / beat a defender in order to make the pass to them ?? 

Mcggin has good potential & i hope Smith can help him develop with right attitude, application & more importantly GAME INTELLIGENCE . He have the engine & legs to run / low gravity to turn away from defenders / good shooting ability etc.With proper guidance I can see him developing into our very own De Bruyne, can dribble/ can pick a pass / can shoot ..it will be pity if he does make the step up

On 18/08/2019 at 09:33, A'Villan said:

No doubt contender for player of the season. Had the most efforts on goal from our team. Showed confidence in himself, bold confidence at that.

F*** me, the audacity of those two long range efforts on goal was only matched by the sheer skill in which he showed by nearly pulling them off!

Agree but he has to score that chance when it drops to him on edge of area. We have to punish mistakes the same way we’ve been punished. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 3

Â