John McGinn

PompeyVillan

37 minutes ago, KMitch said:

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11677/11781628/aston-villas-john-mcginn-delighted-to-have-agreed-a-new-deal

"There are a lot of new signings.

"A lot of boys have had to get their visas and stuff sorted, get used to the cuisine in Birmingham and the temperature. It took me seven months to get used to it.

"They are nice lads, no egos, I think that is important, with Villa being in the Premier League.

"Speaking to some of the experienced boys they all say Villa had a reputation for bad characters and big egos.

"I don't think we have that now.

"It is an important trait to have for a hard-working club. I think they have recruited well in that sense."

So strange. I just read the same article, read that line and was about to post the same thing!

My conundrum is - who is likely to be the 'experienced boys' now? It has made me realise quite the radical turnaround we've had player wise over the past 3-4 years. We've probably had 2-2.5 entire squads over that time! How many other teams have had the same? 

Of the players currently in the squad who were there to witness our reputation for bad characters and big egos, I can only think of Hutton (last yr) or Bunn. 

I am assuming he's referring to the Ayew/Richards/Lescott/Traore/Gabby/Bent-era.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, troon_villan said:

Some Scottish clubs simply don't have a choice but to accept a few million when it comes there way. I doubt they really valued him at that. 

I’m sure you’re right. I think that there’s also a problem that currently Scottish players in general are under valued and so we didn’t have any competition for signing SJM, other than Celtic who were taking the p1$$. The influx of cheap foreign imports has had such an adverse effect on the development of Scottish players. The big TV money in England has also effected the development of English players, but at least they are importing top players and so generally raising the overall standard. 

Back in the 70s and 80s every team, including us, had a fairly large Scottish contingent. But now clubs shop further a field and so slowly the number of Scots has diminished, so very little money is heading north. It’s a double whammy for Scottish players, they’re not getting the chance because of cheap imports in Scotland and because of expensive imports in England. Perhaps a few more flag bearers like SJM might help redress that. I hope so since I now live near Inverness and I want to encourage us to come up for a preseason friendly against Cali or Ross County. 😀

• Like 1

1 minute ago, troon_villan said:

Steve Bruce tried to bring him here. Might go back for him at Newcastle. 

Ah I see..

Even the Aberdeen fans don't seem to rate him based on my conversations with them (again I don't know, never seen him play).

Rumour here is Celtic will try to sign Mckenna before their window closes?

Anyhow I transgress, apologies....John McGinn hmm is he good enough? I dunno, we'll see soon enough!

1 minute ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Ah I see..

Even the Aberdeen fans don't seem to rate him based on my conversations with them (again I don't know, never seen him play).

Rumour here is Celtic will try to sign Mckenna before their window closes?

Anyhow I transgress, apologies....John McGinn hmm is he good enough? I dunno, we'll see soon enough!

No he's an absolute donkey. Just a big brute.  Suppose he might the Championship with his physicality. 

McGinn on the ball can look a bit headless chicken but he seems to know what he wants to do and where he wants to go.  

22 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Some Scots think Scot Mckenna was worth £10 million...heard of him? Thought not 😉

Since I live near Inverness, yes I have heard of him. I’ve also heard of Duncan Shearer who I was chatting to earlier. 😏

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I’m sure you’re right. I think that there’s also a problem that currently Scottish players in general are under valued and so we didn’t have any competition for signing SJM, other than Celtic who were taking the p1$$. The influx of cheap foreign imports has had such an adverse effect on the development of Scottish players. The big TV money in England has also effected the development of English players, but at least they are importing top players and so generally raising the overall standard. 

Back in the 70s and 80s every team, including us, had a fairly large Scottish contingent. But now clubs shop further a field and so slowly the number of Scots has diminished, so very little money is heading north. It’s a double whammy for Scottish players, they’re not getting the chance because of cheap imports in Scotland and because of expensive imports in England. Perhaps a few more flag bearers like SJM might help redress that. I hope so since I now live near Inverness and I want to encourage us to come up for a preseason friendly against Cali or Ross County. 😀

I don't think that gap can be bridged now if I'm honest. It's gotten too wide. 

John McGinn is a fine example of that. A Championship team (OK it was still Villa) paying relative peanuts for a player who was widely touted for greatness. 

Of course I'm only talking about the financial gap there. There's a scope for Scottish players (and not necessarily old firm players) to progress, but of course that progress is the PL. 

I'm rabbiting on here. I love having a Scottish player in the team and especially when he's as loved as JM. 

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Djemba_Villan said:

So strange. I just read the same article, read that line and was about to post the same thing!

My conundrum is - who is likely to be the 'experienced boys' now? It has made me realise quite the radical turnaround we've had player wise over the past 3-4 years. We've probably had 2-2.5 entire squads over that time! How many other teams have had the same? 

Of the players currently in the squad who were there to witness our reputation for bad characters and big egos, I can only think of Hutton (last yr) or Bunn. 

I am assuming he's referring to the Ayew/Richards/Lescott/Traore/Gabby/Bent-era.

Grealish. 

8 hours ago, Djemba_Villan said:

Maybe hes referring to Ian Taylor or others still around the club?

Most interesting thing for me was his reference to the number of new players and how difficult settling can be. As excited as we all get with this many new players, getting them to settle and gel is still a huge risk and it could cost us.

9 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

Since I live near Inverness, yes I have heard of him. I’ve also heard of Duncan Shearer who I was chatting to earlier. 😏

It was more relevant and aimed to the general population of VT...

Duncan Shearer? Never heard of him 😜

Anyways, McGinn: we will see very soon.

Edited by Zhan_Zhuang

3 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

It was more relevant and aimed to the general population of VT...

Duncan Shearer? Never heard of him 😜

Anyways, McGinn: we will see very soon.

If I’m honest I’d never heard of him until a couple of years ago when we moved up here.

Duncan is a lovely bloke, the only way I know him is because he’s now a van driver and we get lots of deliveries for my wife’s business. Even then I wouldn’t have known he was a former footballer if someone hadn’t told me. He’s still a legend in Aberdeen, as I’m sure you know and has 7 caps for Scotland. He never talks about it, but then again I only ever see him when he’s busy delivering and I don’t want to pester him. He’s really friendly though. 

9 hours ago, troon_villan said:

No he's an absolute donkey. Just a big brute.  Suppose he might the Championship with his physicality. 

McGinn on the ball can look a bit headless chicken but he seems to know what he wants to do and where he wants to go.  

I think his decision making is probably the weakest part of his game and as a result some of his play doesn’t have an effective end result. However, I believe that part of his game is getting better all the time and with better players around him and continued good coaching he’s gonna be pure dead brilliant!!

2 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I've seen John McGinn play. I don't need opinions from Aberdeen to tell me whether he's good enough or not. 

I love this stuff. My favourite thing all summer was Bournemouth fans telling us about Tyrone Mings. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Opinions from Bournemouth on how Tyrone Mings isn't a Premier League quality left back. 

Same club that bought Solanke and Ibe 😂

Edited by Villan_of_oz
For way too much money in both cases

2 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I've seen John McGinn play. I don't need opinions from Aberdeen to tell me whether he's good enough or not. 

Although not in the PL, hence my point...we don't know whether he's good enough at this level. Got nothing to do with Aberdeen, I think it's a general Scottish feeling from his international appearances which by all accounts have been rather average.

How was McGinn playing when our form was terrible in the Championship? 

Â