John McGinn

PompeyVillan

I was quite surprised to see some of his stats from the game. 

One of the lowest amounts of touches of the ball and completed 6 passes in 90 minutes. 

Scored a goal, worked hard and pressured well, but along with el ghazi and wesley, seems to be part of the issue why we couldn't keep the ball. 

16 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

One of the lowest amounts of touches of the ball and completed 6 passes in 90 minutes. 

Scored a goal, worked hard and pressured well, but along with el ghazi and wesley, seems to be part of the issue why we couldn't keep the ball. 

Made the most tackles of anyone in the PL this weekend though. But 6 passes is crazy, I think Douglas made that many in his short cameo.

24 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

That just can't be true can it?

Edit: whoscored.com agrees with your number. But I'm still struggling to believe it.

Edited by Stevo985

2 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Made the most tackles of anyone in the PL this weekend though. But 6 passes is crazy, I think Douglas made that many in his short cameo.

Yep, luiz made 5 in 9 minutes. 

Jack made 30 passes and connor 22 compared to Mcginn's 6. 

He played well and did his defensive work well but i think that was part of our issue in that we could not keep the ball  

He's too good for us not to get involved more when we have the ball

7 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

That just can't be true can it?

Edit: whoscored.com agrees with your number. But I'm still struggling to believe it.

That's where i got them from and usually they correct mistakes pretty quickly. 

I struggled to believe it and it wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't correct but also we did really not keep the ball well and i don't remember him being on the ball much. He did a lot of running, pressing and tackling. 

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

That's where i got them from and usually they correct mistakes pretty quickly. 

I struggled to believe it and it wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't correct but also we did really not keep the ball well and i don't remember him being on the ball much. He did a lot of running, pressing and tackling. 

Official Premier League site says the same.

Weird. I'm still struggling to be honest.

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

Official Premier League site says the same.

Weird. I'm still struggling to be honest.

I remember whoscored making a similar mistake with one of our players a few years ago, I wanna say Westwood.

But I can definitely see McGinn only having attempted 10 passes. I can't really remember him on the ball too much.

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

I remember whoscored making a similar mistake with one of our players a few years ago, I wanna say Westwood.

But I can definitely see McGinn only having attempted 10 passes. I can't really remember him on the ball too much.

They did. But with that one i'm pretty sure they corrected it within a day. 

3 hours ago, Keyblade said:

How can you make the most tackles of anyone in the PL but then only make 6 passes? What did he do with the ball after he won it? 

• Like 1

Stats are dubious things to make judgements on.

you can make rakes of passes in your own half, what use is that?

you can tackle, when a bit of marshalling would suffice, you can marshall, when a tackle was needed.

Its taking actions that have a direct bearing on the game, that matters.

They have goals for and against for a reason......they are the only stats that matter at the end of the day.

• Like 1

On 14/08/2019 at 05:53, Lichfield Dean said:

How can you make the most tackles of anyone in the PL but then only make 6 passes? What did he do with the ball after he won it? 

A few things come to mind..

You can make a tackle and then lose possession again, you can make a tackle and dribble, you can make a tackle and have a teammate gain possession from your efforts..

On 14/08/2019 at 06:06, TRO said:

Stats are dubious things to make judgements on.

you can make rakes of passes in your own half, what use is that?

you can tackle, when a bit of marshalling would suffice, you can marshall, when a tackle was needed.

Its taking actions that have a direct bearing on the game, that matters.

They have goals for and against for a reason......they are the only stats that matter at the end of the day.

You can also play a number of passes that is indicative of a low level contribution to any build up play or passing sequences that took place.

Making only 2% of passes that a team attempts in a match is remarkable for a midfielder. Especially considering McGinn's importance to us.

5 hours ago, A'Villan said:

You can also play a number of passes that is indicative of a low level contribution to any build up play or passing sequences that took place.

Making only 2% of passes that a team attempts in a match is remarkable for a midfielder. Especially considering McGinn's importance to us.

The other interesting stat that is rarely disclosed is......How many minutes a player is on the ball v being off the ball during a game....It really opens up the debate of how important a players contribution is "off the ball".....this is now entering the world of football players intelligence ......We will be seeing more of this in the new division....incremental improvement I hope.

I guess the coaches will be working more on this and concentration.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, TRO said:

The other interesting stat that is rarely disclosed is......How many minutes a player is on the ball v being off the ball during a game....It really opens up the debate of how important a players contribution is "off the ball".....this is now entering the world of football players intelligence ......We will be seeing more of this in the new division....incremental improvement I hope.

I guess the coaches will be working more on this and concentration.

Off the ball movement is incredibly important as it keep the defense honest. 

Defense then has to focus on and be wary of the offensive movements that might mean a potential gain is made, or worse, a goal.

It also means that help defense is squandered because the help defenders are concentrating on the off-ball movements of other attacking players.

• Like 1

I'll never get tired of his goal against Spurs. That little header was pure class. Don't expect many strikers to be doing that, let alone a midfielder.

In fact, when I think about it, all of his goals for us bar the 2 he scored against Derby last season have been beauties.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

I'll never get tired of his goal against Spurs. That little header was pure class. Don't expect many strikers to be doing that, let alone a midfielder.

In fact, when I think about it, all of his goals for us bar the 2 he scored against Derby last season have been beauties.

He's had some world class attempts not quite go in too. Just watched a highlight reel from last season and there were at least a half dozen.

I remember one (which I can't find unfortunately) just outside the box slightly right side, he wins a contest, beats the defender with a spin move and launches a pearl at goal.

Would of been as good if not better than the volley he scored from outside the box that went in at the top corner. I'd say he's our best finisher from range.

Especially considering the pace and intensity that is involved in everything he does, he still manages to execute with poise and composure.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

He's had some world class attempts not quite go in too. Just watched a highlight reel from last season and there were at least a half dozen.

I remember one (which I can't find unfortunately) just outside the box slightly right side, he wins a contest, beats the defender with a spin move and launches a pearl at goal.

Would of been as good if not better than the volley he scored from outside the box that went in at the top corner. I'd say he's our best finisher from range.

Especially considering the pace and intensity that is involved in everything he does, he still manages to execute with poise and composure.

It was Forest away. Scored two great goals that day. He's even better at shooting from range at full speed than Hourihane, who's better at volleys and dead ball shots.

31 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

It was in that crazy 3-3 first half forest at home. Gasps around me in the north stand.

What a footballer.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Tomaszk said:

It was in that crazy 3-3 first half forest at home. Gasps around me in the north stand.

What a footballer.

Nah it was the away game that we won 3-1. That's the game where I knew we were going to make the playoffs. Just blew them away and SJM was on one that night.

Edit: I think I read that wrong, and @A'Villan was talking about a missed shot?

Edited by Keyblade

17 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Nah it was the away game that we won 3-1. That's the game where I knew we were going to make the playoffs. Just blew them away and SJM was on one that night.

Edit: I think I read that wrong, and @A'Villan was talking about a missed shot?

May have hit the bar/post?

Sure it was the home game though.

Start of this clip.*

No, just saved. Joe Lolley being sold a great chocolate fish there.

Edited by Tomaszk
  • Thanks 1

Â