John McGinn

PompeyVillan

I think we (hibs fans) would have felt more robbed if the market for non old firm scottish players wasn't so crap. if the rumours about sell on fees are true (i.e. 15-20%), then we could end up getting a lot more than we would have got by any other means. 

I think we also find it completely hilarious that celtic came out with such arrogant stuff about him not being worth what we were asking, and now look so utterly stupid.

Personally, I love what he has brought to Aston Villa - I think it's the perfect club for him, certainly at this stage of his career. I hope he hangs about for a good few years, then gets sold to Barca for hundreds of millions of pounds and both of our clubs have a massive payday. 👍

• Like 1

On 23/08/2019 at 22:28, Hibsfan said:

Hi folks,  hopefully you don’t mind me continuing to stick my neb in on all things Mcginn but watched the game tonight and really enjoyed it.

The thing that struck me was that in the post match interviews they spoke about how poor an atmosphere there was at Villa Park a few years ago when the fans didn’t really like the team compared to now when there’s a togetherness about the club.   It’d be wrong of me to say that’s down to Mcginn however that’s exactly what happened with him at Hibs too.  We were a club in a bad place but his infectious personality and enthusiasm just seem to get hold of the rest of the side which then seemed to connect with the club and the fans and we grew into a much better side because of it.

Obviously you guys have your manager and Grealish doing the same thing so i’m not saying it’s all down to him but I did think it was funny hearing the pundits talking about it in exactly the same way Hibs could have been described a few years back.    (Also without blowing my own trumped if you look at my first post on this threat you’ll see I described him exactly as it’s panned out,  now where’s that smug smilie 😉?)

All the best for the rest of the season,  sure I’ll continue to pop up every now and again if that’s alright......

I reminisce on a similar situation with another scottish midfielder called Alex Cropley, he too played for hibs i think.

That was another turning point in our history for the better.

perhaps its the William MCGregor connection?

Edited by TRO

For me he was absolutely anonymous for the most part and not for the first time this season. Not demanding the ball enough and not getting into enough good positions to receive the ball. Like Grealish it hasn't been a seamless adaption to this level.

Not clear to me that Grealish - Luiz - McGinn is the answer going forward, very keen to see what Marvelous can do.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

For me he was absolutely anonymous for the most part and not for the first time this season. Not demanding the ball enough and not getting into enough good positions to receive the ball. Like Grealish it hasn't been a seamless adaption to this level.

Not clear to me that Grealish - Luiz - McGinn is the answer going forward, very keen to see what Marvelous can do.

The step up from Championship to Premier League level is huge. 

It’s understandable that our players will not be dominant anymore like last season.

I would not be expecting Marvelous to come in and tear up the league either.   

We’re aiming for 15-17th, I think we just need to be patient with them all. 

Just now, LondonLax said:

The step up from Championship to Premier League level is huge. 

It’s understandable that our players will not be dominant anymore like last season.

I would not be expecting Marvelous to come in and tear up the league either.   

We’re aiming for 15-17th, I think we just need to be patient with them all. 

It's just interesting to me that a number of Sheffield United and Norwich players are seemingly getting to grips with things a lot quicker.

1 minute ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

It's just interesting to me that a number of Sheffield United and Norwich players are seemingly getting to grips with things a lot quicker.

They finished a long way above us and took settle squads up to the Premier League.

They both lost today and we’re above Norwich in the table. 

The step up is huge. 

1 minute ago, LondonLax said:

They finished a long way above us and took settle squads up to the Premier League.

The step up is huge. 

Sheffield United came from 2 down to get a point against chelsea

4 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

The step up is huge. 

Sheffield got a point today. They're doing pretty well.

12 minutes ago, dudevillaisnice said:

Norwich and Sheffield United kept the core of the team that got them up. We didn’t and couldn’t really. We just have to be patient.

Spot on mate! 

We simply need time to adjust to life at the top. We've been unlucky in the bounce of the ball and ref desisions in at least two of the games so far. We will be fine. 

1 minute ago, Villarocker said:

Spot on mate! 

We simply need time to adjust to life at the top. We've been unlucky in the bounce of the ball and ref desisions in at least two of the games so far. We will be fine. 

It's not really 'simple' is it, because we don't have time. Needs to happen very quickly or we will be cut adrift.

6 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Don't know who it was but someone got the biggest McGinn arsing off the season. Van Aanholt maybe? Was down their left.

Very funny.

A whole new meaning to being bummed by McGinn. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

Don't know who it was but someone got the biggest McGinn arsing off of the season. Van Aanholt maybe? Was down their left.

Very funny.

I hope the police aren't watching the way he uses his arse.  Every chance of him walking down the street and being charged with possession of an offensive weapon.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, dudevillaisnice said:

Norwich and Sheffield United kept the core of the team that got them up. We didn’t and couldn’t really. We just have to be patient.

Yup. Everyone knew we would need a bedding in period where we most likely would lose more matches than we'd like. We just got to keep going, keep supporting and keep the criticism constructive. Just the other night we had a massive VP party and 3 points. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Sheff U are a better unit. 

I'm terms of performance and talent, Norwich are nailed on to go down. A lot of huff and puff but they really are awful.

Â