John McGinn

PompeyVillan

10 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

Ripple effect of Buendia going out. I imagine Unai had his team picked before Buendia getting injured. It then results in McGinn playing an unfamiliar LM position and then starting Bailey who’s barely featured in pre-season after a long CONCACAF campaign. 

Hindsight 20/20 but I think Unai should have started Philogene on the left despite the lack of experience and kept Mcginn out right cutting in. 

Good analysis. Not sure if Philogene was definitely the answer (maybe better to keep him out of the firing line in a very tough away fixture at this stage in his career) but think you’re right the injuries had a ripple effect on several performances.

• Like 1

I think that’s the worst I’ve seen SJM in a long long time. Never got into the game. Never got ok the ball and dictated play. Never really looked like making or scoring. 

But he has so much credit in the bank he’s still in-line if the first names on the team sheet next time out. 

4 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

Was as bad as he was under Slippy yesterday. I hope he's not reverting back to old ways.

I think Buendia's injury will have changed McGinn's position from wide right to wide left at the last moment. It may not seem like it should matter too much, but when you go into tactical detail to the depth Emery does, that change could completely throw you off your game.

Pretty much every player on the pitch was crap for us so I don't think it's time to worry about individual's performances unless it's part of a wider trend e.g. Bailey, Cash

Played out of position and was in no man's land until after half time when the damage had been done and the reality of mings injury set in.

A few of our players reverted to their bad old ways, mcginn trying Hollywood balls several times and none successful as he tried to force the game. Was a poor performance and you could see on his face how upset he was when he came off.

Don't like his comment which almost blames torres for the result after mings went off.

We should have set up robust from the start instead of trying to accommodate Bailey and diaby.

Mcginn in his regular position would have meant cash not getting so exposed and on a yellow.

Against physically weaker opposition 2 wingers/ wide forwards may work but we lost the battle as we had a far physically weaker midfield yesterday.

If we don't have a wide player who can produce other than diaby then don't try using 2 at ghe same time in tougher games.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, picicata said:

I think Buendia's injury will have changed McGinn's position from wide right to wide left at the last moment. It may not seem like it should matter too much, but when you go into tactical detail to the depth Emery does, that change could completely throw you off your game.

Pretty much every player on the pitch was crap for us so I don't think it's time to worry about individual's performances unless it's part of a wider trend e.g. Bailey, Cash

Yeah I have no idea where he was supposed to be playing yesterday, wide left was an odd choice as McGinn is totally left footed so was never going to be able to cut in like Ramsey and Buendia do, plus it was obvious that Cash was the weaker of our two full backs pretty early on so needed someone to help him and Bailey of course didn't. Sometimes I think Emery is totally transfixed on certain formations that he prefers, particularly 4-4-2, and should just focus on playing players in their best positions. McGinn can play wide right or central, but out on the left makes him totally ineffective.

17 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Played nearly every game for Emery and every game in pre-season in that advanced right mid role and has been incredible.

May not have made a difference, but he shouldn't have been moved from there, especially not for Bailey to do the usual.

No excuse for things to drop off that quickly but get him back over there next game gaffer.

He was brilliant against Newcastle last season too, Emery got that wrong moving him to the left 

26 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

Yeah I have no idea where he was supposed to be playing yesterday, wide left was an odd choice as McGinn is totally left footed so was never going to be able to cut in like Ramsey and Buendia do, plus it was obvious that Cash was the weaker of our two full backs pretty early on so needed someone to help him and Bailey of course didn't. Sometimes I think Emery is totally transfixed on certain formations that he prefers, particularly 4-4-2, and should just focus on playing players in their best positions. McGinn can play wide right or central, but out on the left makes him totally ineffective.

In fairness it was Emery that made wide right one of his positions.  Nobody would have suggested that as an option before last season, myself included.

22 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

To be honest, if that doesn't convince you to have him in your team, I'm not sure what would :crylaugh:

Self-doubt is a hell of thing for our meatball 🥰

Meatball trying to get people not pick him so he can have all those points for himself. He knows 🤣

• Haha 1

I didn't think that he was that bad yesterday. He didn't see much of the ball because we tended to attack on our right, but he did a lot of the little things well when he was involved.

He has played on the left before, but I think usually in a deeper position. I do question why you'd have him on the left in such an advanced position when you have left-footed Digne attacking on that side. I would think you want both a right-footer and a left-footer over there.

34 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

If only there was an ECL thread that wasn't locked that we could put this post in. 

Just posted the same in the Emery thread. We are in Europe for the time in years and we can’t discuss it,  ridiculous! 

• Like 1

Â