John McGinn

PompeyVillan

I think it's primarily a fitness thing. 

We all know the away shirts look a different colour once the sweat has soaked through.... McGinn's had that whole back sweat patch from kick off. It was like the warmup finished him off.

He looked slow and unreactive. He was involved in the build up to the second goal, but aside from that he spent most of the game out of position, vainly trying to catch up with play, or giving the ball away when he was involved.... 67% pass completion!!

It must be tricky to pick a pass if you're blowing out your arse when you get the ball. 

Get him fit, or get him sold.

Edited by MrBlack
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, DeadlyDirk said:

Yeah I think his time is up now. Even my Scottish mate has pointed out that he's a shadow of himself from last year playing international football, and asked me if he's the same at Villa. Yep, he's really gone off the boil!

To think 3 years ago he was being linked with a £50m move to Man Ure.

Quite sad given his obvious likeable character but since his best mate has gone (JG) he has looked lost. Time to cash in and get someone else in there.

There we go then…

Thats another thing to add onto my list of things to blame Man City for…

They didn’t just sign another one of our players… They deliberately destabilised our entire squad for the sake of signing a player they only needed for marketing and Home grown quota reasons…

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DJ_Villain said:

They didn’t just sign another one of our players… They deliberately destabilised our entire squad for the sake of signing a player they only needed for marketing and Home grown quota reasons…

Didn't think of it like that myself, but now that you've put it out there, I'll hold them to it too.

Feel a bit sorry for McGinn - a likeable character who has given so much to the club. But putting sentiment aside, I struggle to see a club that would be interested in buying him. Maybe in the Championship, but can't really see it in the Premier League (Everton maybe?).

• Like 2

I will forever be grateful for what he has given the club.

But the fact is that he simply isn't anywhere near good enough to be one of the players to take us to the next level, i don't even think he is good enough for where we are right now.

• Like 2

Legit shocked. Watched first half before had to go to work NZ time. Thought people being harsh on him. Looked like was playing left in 442 and looked like little boy lost all 1st half. Really thought was like playing with 10 men

• Sad 1

There is certainly an element of fitness to this story but sometimes you just don't get it back. He peaked early as a player but has been out of shape for a long time and has now lost what he once had I'm afraid.

Ings for me is actually a similar story. He's no longer the lethal predator he was for Southampton and past clubs because he's slightly out of shape and past his peak now, if you catch him from the side he's carrying weight he never used to have.

We have a tendency to indulge this type of thing for far too long, I'm really hoping Emery is tough with them.

Edited by est1874

12 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Legit shocked. Watched first half before had to go to work NZ time. Thought people being harsh on him. Looked like was playing left in 442 and looked like little boy lost all 1st half. Really thought was like playing with 10 men

The sad part was watching JJ on the other side fit in seamlessly and contribute both offensively and tracking back as well. Mcginn’s even lost the ability to win duels. United players were walking him around.

Compare Mcginn too with Buendia who was in the same spot last week. Buendia was not noticeable in the cup game but in the league game, the game moves so slow for Buendia but too fast for mcginn. 

And barring injury, Mcginn certainly isn’t going to be in the double pivot ahead of Luiz and Kamara.

Sad to watch all around. Hope Unai doesn’t get more people on his back by picking him.

I don't by any stretch think he is a Gabby or not dedicated but he does like a player who maybe hasn't look after himself as well as footballers do nowadays.

He's getting to that Rooney and Gabby stage in the late 20s where they can't get back to being lean. Their calves are like tree trunks, they've lost all mobility and agility.

In the last two games Mcginn's weaknesses have stood out a mile. He looks the weak link in midfield now. Luiz and Kamara are both decent at keeping possession and passing, Ramsey also retains possession well when getting forward with the ball. Mcginn is definitely less proficient at both and tends to give the ball away far too much.

I don't think we will see a massive improvement from him under emery and should not be first choice. He is a good player but is not right for how we want to play or where we want to be any more. If a decent offer came in for him in the next two windows then I'd hope the club accepts it. 

Edited by Made In Aston

The bloke obviously has a heavy set build, but he’s still carrying too much weight. Honestly, I think if he wants to continue playing at this level, he needs to lose a stone or two. 

Perhaps I’m being harsh but he really is a tubby little f***** when you watch him on TV. 

Just now, Delphinho123 said:

The bloke obviously has a heavy set build, but he’s still carrying too much weight. Honestly, I think if he wants to continue playing at this level, he needs to lose a stone or two. 

Perhaps I’m being harsh but he really is a tubby little f***** when you watch him on TV. 

They do say TV adds a few pounds 😆

There was a point last season whereby I thought it must be external reasons for him still looking overweight, not match fit or just off the pace. I actually felt a little sorry because he is, above all a trier. And God loves one of them. However, that's truly gone now. There is no sorrow only ruthlessness for the apparent lack of discipline, intelligence, or indeed a will to resolve the weaknesses in his game. His passing is atrocious, his inability to slow the f*** down when challenging for the ball(before clattering whoever) is atrocious. We could literally go on and on but the bottom line is the cons far outweigh the pros these days.   

I’m one of those who didn’t rate him except for his stint in the championship. Since we got relegated the Premier League has gotten fitter quicker stronger and technically better.

Tactically players are much more aware and have the ability to expose average players.

McGinn has been poor for nigh on two years minimum but because of the fondness towards him or that one killer pass he made a lot of people defend him. 

All he had to do was be more selective with the ball and he’d be a good good player for us. 

great guy but I support Aston Villa and we need better footballers as opposed to great guys. 

#Turkeyoutfit! 

Â