John McGinn

PompeyVillan

51 minutes ago, sne said:

Bit of a pointless question since Gerrard choose McGinn. Obviously he wants McGinn and not someone else. All suggestions will be met with "Gerrard doesn't wan't (insert name) as captain.

Don't forget "and you must accept it" :lol:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rustibrooks said:

Apologies if this has been mentioned already, but we finished higher up and with a better points total with McGinn in the side before last season, do you guys not think McGinn is capable of leading us further up at all? 

They don't as he's not the new flavour of the month, just like Mings. 

All of a sudden a last minute goal from Chambers and he's the love child of Mcgrath. 

He has a few good games last season but a fair few below par games, there's a reason Arsenal let him go and kept Rob Holding, for the last few seasons Arsenal have had a piss poor defence and Chambers couldn't get in it. 

Now I'm not saying he's awful, just not a starter for me now we have Carlos. 

McGinn is Scottish captain and now Villa captain, but these FIFA22 coaches know better than a Gerrard and Clarke and others in the game. 

If Carney had signed a contract they'd be saying McGinn was behind him as well, even though he's only done it against kids his own age. 

We now have a good squad, I feel we need another Solid CM/DM and if we're lucky a striker and we're set and if Gerrard can't get them performing more consistently (As when we were good we were good d, but when we were bad we were awful) then he won't be around long enough, as I feel the squad we have and talent any decent manager would have us between 6th and 9th minimum. 

The manager, coaches and players get my full support until they prove they don't deserve it. 

Edited by Joshie2000
  • Like 1

It'll be interesting to see how he handles this. 

His output is typically great one game, decent the next and then shite the third game.

He needs to use this to propel himself and get more consistent. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Joshie2000 said:

They don't as he's not the new flavour of the month, just like Mings. 

All of a sudden a last minute goal from Chambers and he's the love child of Mcgrath. 

He has a few good games last season but a fair few below par games, there's a reason Arsenal let him go and kept Rob Holding, for the last few seasons Arsenal have had a piss poor defence and Chambers couldn't get in it. 

Now I'm not saying he's awful, just not a starter for me now we have Carlos. 

McGinn is Scottish captain and now Villa captain, but these FIFA22 coaches know better than a Gerrard and Clarke and others in the game. 

If Carney had signed a contract they'd be saying McGinn was behind him as well, even though he's only done it against kids his own age. 

We now have a good squad, I feel we need another Solid CM/DM and if we're lucky a striker and we're set and if Gerrard can't get them performing more consistently (As when we were good we were good d, but when we were bad we were awful) then he won't be around long enough, as I feel the squad we have and talent any decent manager would have us between 6th and 9th minimum. 

The manager, coaches and players get my full support until they prove they don't deserve it. 

Steve Clarke? 

Never forget…

spacer.png

• Haha 3

If SG had shown more willingness to drop players in bad form/play those in good form, the issue of the captain would not be such a contentious one. 
It is the concern and perception that JM will now be undroppable that is the frustration here. 
I just hope that as a highly successful player who has played in the top flight all of his career, SG will have no qualms about benching John if he is underperforming, captain or not. Logic would dictate that SG the will do this as required even though the previous season didn’t demonstrate this. Over to you Mr Gerrard. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, andym said:

I mean, theres loads of stats you can play around with.

Luiz only had 1 less goal and 1 less assist in less minutes; the per 90 stats are pretty much identical.

Luiz also had more goal creating actions, interceptions, and was dribbled past less per 90.

Mcginn miscontrolled the ball and was dispossessed more per game, and gave away more free kicks per game.

And of course one of the big ones is possession, and Mcginn is one of the worst 'standard' CMs in the whole league at keeping the ball.

I dont think anyone would disagree when he's on it, he can be highly effective - if the game turns into a high tempo track meet, you want him in the team.

But his style is always going to be high risk high reward, and that means you are never going to consistently control games if he's the 'first name on the teamsheet' CM.

Great post and this is exactly what I think. There’s a place for Mcginn in the team but he’s not a possession player, and that’s what we need

Stupid decision. And now means McGinn will never get dropped and we aren't signing another CM or probably anyone else. May as well lock the summer transfer window thread.

Not sure what this means for Luiz whose contract situation still rumbles on, he'd be starting alongside Kamara for me with a new 5-year deal but with this decision it's almost certain to be Kamara-Ramsey-McGinn every week unless Gerrard is prepared to drop and rotate Ramsey which based on last season is unlikely. 

Mings wasn't exactly successful as captain given we finished 14th last season but he is more of a leader than McGinn. Martinez would have made more sense as captain. Another odd decision by Mr Gerrard.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Stupid decision. And now means McGinn will never get dropped and we aren't signing another CM or probably anyone else. May as well lock the summer transfer window thread.

Not sure what this means for Luiz whose contract situation still rumbles on, he'd be starting alongside Kamara for me with a new 5-year deal but with this decision it's almost certain to be Kamara-Ramsey-McGinn every week unless Gerrard is prepared to drop and rotate Ramsey which based on last season is unlikely. 

Mings wasn't exactly successful as captain given we finished 14th last season but he is more of a leader than McGinn. Martinez would have made more sense as captain. Another odd decision by Mr Gerrard.

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

Even for somebody that doesn’t care whose captain in this team because I don’t think we really have an on the field real captain figure, this is a bizarre decision.  

I have no issue with Ty or Ginny but this a big move by Gerrard with a fair bit of fallout with what seems very little benefit.  

Maybe he just wanted to shake things up a bit, but it all seems a little odd and gives us more to question Gerrard’s decisions.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Yes I still find it baffling our 4th best CM has become undroppable.

Your opinions of 4th best CM and 'undroppable' is not following 'free your mind'. Let those opinions relax and it won't be baffling.

What if JM's performances this season as captain were mostly worthy of a starting place and on an occasion(s) of lower form or injury he was benched, only to return stronger? That would make JM better than your opinion of 4th best CM and demonstrate captains aren't necessarily 'undroppaple'.

In any case, what if us fans are only using the 'easy on the eye' test for players whilst the team management are aware of players' comparative abilities to statistically improve the team?

I'm pinning my hopes that Kamara will improve McGinn as he can play naturally in his more preferred position.

Hopefully this means he will not be as guilty as before when misplacing passes in the centre as he won't be dictating the play so much. This again is why Kamara is so important.

I am hopeful Gerrard and the coaches know more than VT combined.

UTV

• Like 1

Â