Demitri_C

Bruce In or Out?  

255 members have voted

1. 1. Steve Bruce In or Out?

• In
    • Out
    • On the fence

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 25/07/18 at 18:38

As has been said, should have gone after the playoff final. 

A manager with his experience in this league with that squad should have got promoted, and with all due respect to Wolves and Cardiff, you wouldn't have backed both of them to have finished above us and probably not either of them to have done so.

Did a decent job clearing up some of RDMs mess, but then went and created some of his own.

Nice man, good bloke but he's ultimately not got us promoted when he was the one charged with doing so and so is partly responsible for the mess we are/were in

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I want Bruce out but not for Henry as the replacement, he was a great player but listening to him as a pundit I think he’d be a poor manager he talks absolute garbage, would just be a name, novelty would wear off after a few months. Guess I’d rather Bruce stay then for now, unless we get someone else lined up. 

I'm on the fence. 

Last season was a failure in not managing automatic promotion. If he'd gone after the play offs I wouldn't have complained. 

Trouble I see at the minute is we're a few weeks away and there isn't a definite improvement available.

If the new owners are serious I think Benitez could be tempted, I'd hope they're watching the goings on at St James' closely.

Never wanted Bruce in first place. How did Warnock secure promotion in similar space of time without money or big name loan signings. I can never get past Bruce "I don't do tactics" from 2011 article

• Like 3

I'm on the fence... ultimately he failed last year, but he came as close to succeeding as it was possible to get.

Be a little sad to see him go, but I think with new owners it will be inevitable. No doubting that he's given his all for Villa, will always be grateful to him for turning around the toxic mess of a club that we'd become for the previous 5 years.

I think im still scarred by previous manager appointments over the past 5 or so years that im on the fence...  I don't like the style that is played but I fear the next guy that comes in

if (and its a big if at this point) there is minimal player turnover I actually think under Bruce we have a decent chance in going up this season

• Like 1

I can see the arguments for him staying and I won't be upset if he stays but if I get my wish.... I want some excitement, football I look forward to watching. The unknown of how we will play against another team.

Whether it's the smart decision to change manager now, we will find out soon enough.

Edited by Villan_of_oz
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Never wanted Bruce in first place. How did Warnock secure promotion in similar space of time without money or big name loan signings. I can never get past Bruce "I don't do tactics" from 2011 article

It may be hard to accept but maybe we were in an even worse state than Cardiff.

If Bruce has to go he has still fixed a sinking ship and deserves credit. We could have been Sunderland, who also had a massive budget last season. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, dounavilla said:

Hes had his chance. Greatly appreciated some of the things he has done ( togetherness, team spirit), but ultimately failed in his goal.

A change now not after risking the first 10 games.

My mind still drifts towards the first half at Wembley.

Exactly my words. Out

I say out...like others have said an inflexible dinosaur....Henry will need to be given time to develop and progress the footballing style throughout the club and if means it takes 2 yrs to get promoted then so be it...it's not like we need the Prem TV money for survival now is It? ?

For me, it's about getting it right on the young player development and the style of play side. Building our house on foundations of rock rather than sand. 

Edited by New_Hope

I'm on the fence but only because I'm unsure as to how many of our best players we will lose before the season starts and who would replace Bruce. 

If you said to me "Henry will replace him and the only player we will definitely lose out of our best dozen players will be Grealish" then yeah, I'd say get rid. But, if it's "Allardyce or Dean Smith to replace him and we'll lose Grealish, Chester, Adomah" then I'd rather we stick with Bruce. 

Overall, for me, Bruce has been great at building the club back up in terms of it being a sinking ship but, ultimately, he failed on the pitch where his job was to get us promoted. 

Xia almost cost the club too and I think he should follow Bruce out of the door when he goes. 

7 hours ago, hippo said:

I think he is done here. I am not against making a change, but the timing and potential replacement terrify me

I think I am with you on this, I wouldn't be against Bruce staying but only for stability reasons (his football is terrible). However I am pretty worried about who they are going to end up putting in charge of the club... if it's Henry then it has the potential to be Di Matteo all over again, panicking in 3 months time when we are struggling to pick up a win, transfer budget wasted on awful players on long term deals.

The club nearly died a week ago, you see the world a bit differently after a near death experience. Some shrivel up in fear of a repeat, others roll the dice figuring what the hell. Time for a change and besides we now have the best health care money can buy. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Fairly ambivalent. At the moment, I am going in for pragmatic reasons. I spent decent chunks of last season wishing he would leave, but I also acknowledge there many good games and plenty of wins which we've not enjoyed in a good few years frankly. Despite disappointment I enjoyed last season. The obvious concerns are over predictability but he's clearly not an idiot. 

Our new ownership does mean I'm more relaxed / less concerned if he does leave as we are no longer in dire financial straits and therefore, despite short term challenges of FFP we are going to be an attractive option for prospective managers again. 

But I am happy to give Bruce another go, I enjoyed that team spirit, and respect the man. Ultimately we were one game short of achieving the aim, he's been here for pre-season and the season only begins in 2 weeks.  

• Like 1

I would have thought it best if SB stayed given the circumstances... However, as I have no great expectations for the season ahead, perhaps now is the time to make a change. A new manager would then have a whole season to make adjustments ready for a push next season when the new owners have had a chance to take effect.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, prmort said:

I would have thought it best if SB stayed given the circumstances... However, as I have no great expectations for the season ahead, perhaps now is the time to make a change. A new manager would then have a whole season to make adjustments ready for a push next season when the new owners have had a chance to take effect.

Look at the effect of low expectation and a calm manager on the England team this summer ;)

Here's a thought, Bruce moves up to DoF (still has contacts and is well liked/respected within the game), thus being nowhere near the coaching side. <Insert random inexperienced name here> becomes first team coach and only worries about the playing side so doesn't have the stress of the day to day running of the club, which I imagine is quite a stressful thing as a first timer. 

Dean Smith is mentioned a lot on here and while he's not for me, the Brentford system is something I very much do admire.

• Like 1