Vegetarianism/Veganism

Stevo985

26 minutes ago, bickster said:

Hopefully they are better than their original counterparts. The meaty ones are the sort thats made of mush with no actual texture. I don't understand why they are so popular.

Oh the originals have always been a dirty secret. You just know how little actual meat is in them but I’ve always loved them. Think it’s probably a childhood memory thing. They aren’t good sausages but sometimes needs must. 
Their veggie option is probably the closest I’ve had to an actual real sausage. Still a mile away from the real thing but eminently edible. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 06/01/2020 at 19:51, Stevo985 said:

Having googled it it seems they're saying they want it to have the taste of their meat burgers by being cooked on the same grill so it tastes as much like a whopper as possible. Which I guess makes a bit of sense.

Still seems like a bit of an own goal to me

I dunno if I posted this before, but I had one abroad (Aus) last year in Hungry Jacks (what they call BK over there). It was delicious, and maybe the cooking on the same grill as the meat ones was part of that. I eat a veggie diet, but am not kind of religious about it, I'd eat meat if there was no option, and a bit of gravy or some meat residue from a burger grill  - no problem for me personally. I'm probably weird, or at least an exception to the norm, but I'd definitely go there again - the one I went to was in one of those places where it's essentially one "shop" with 3 outlets in it side by side - a Greek kebab place (which was shut, but the reason I went in - they do good falafel kebabs and one of the staff is a Villan) and I think the other is a KFC, from memory. Anyway, they're excellent (I had the Rebel burger with cheese and because it's sort of vegan they asked if I wanted "normal" mayo, cheese,  etc. Oh, yes!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

Going to try a plant based burger this weekend. Any suggestions for the meatiest from a major supermarket?

I think the Waitrose one is my favourite. For some reason they’ve called it “Korean” but I’ve no idea why. The Vivera one isn’t bad either.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, blandy said:

I'd eat meat if there was no option,

Like, if it was the only dessert available and you’d already poured custard on it :) 

Edited by tonyh29
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, blandy said:

It was delicious, and maybe the cooking on the same grill as the meat ones was part of that.

Guessing it might be for the same reason sausages are supposedly better cooked unpricked?

It's the fat that provides the savour iirc? 

38 minutes ago, Xann said:

Guessing it might be for the same reason sausages are supposedly better cooked unpricked?

It's the fat that provides the savour iirc? 

Possibly..

I’m not able to say

4 hours ago, Seat68 said:

Going to try a plant based burger this weekend. Any suggestions for the meatiest from a major supermarket?

I am in the USA so I go Impossible then Beyond.

Either way with plant based burgers imho go heavy in the condiments or extra veggies etc. Agree with @choffer a nice heavy teriyaki or korean or BBQ will also help if you like those flavours. The new fake meat does a great job with the juicy factor but the taste can feel a little off. Dont be afraid to go full fries either. You are going veggie here, you can afford to live a little on the sides :)

Good luck! 

• Like 1

Beyond are the best I’ve had.

Linda McCartney mozzarella burgers are good to, which can be found in frozen sections.

• Like 1

Don't do it.

They're full of artificial factory shite.

If you want a non-meat burger, just make one.  Mushrooms, onions, garlic, green or brown lentils, spices, egg to bind.  The factory shite won't be better than you can make, but it will contain more bad stuff.

8 hours ago, peterms said:

If you want a non-meat burger, just make one.  Mushrooms, onions, garlic, green or brown lentils, spices, egg to bind.

That reminds me. The canteen at work does a veggie option each day apart from fridays. Last week one day the menu said “mushroom burger”. When I got to the serving counter it turned out to be....a big fried mushroom in a bun.

i had a baked spud with beans and cheese

• Haha 1

More on pretend burgers:

Tim Hortons removes Beyond Meat offerings from remaining locations

Tim Hortons has stopped selling Beyond Meat products in Ontario and B.C. — the last two provinces serving them after the company scaled back the plant-based offering in September.

A spokeswoman for the coffee chain's parent company, Restaurant Brands International, says there was not enough demand to keep selling Beyond Meat breakfast sandwiches in the two provinces...

I've never tried them, and never will, but it's interesting that the customer demand which has been much talked up recently doesn't seem to be present in these locations.

It would be good if people who want to avoid meat would eat plants, and stay away from extruded sludge churned out in factories, like a tribute act to the very worst (wurst?) sausages.

2 minutes ago, peterms said:

More on pretend burgers:

Tim Hortons removes Beyond Meat offerings from remaining locations

I've never tried them, and never will, but it's interesting that the customer demand which has been much talked up recently doesn't seem to be present in these locations.

It would be good if people who want to avoid meat would eat plants, and stay away from extruded sludge churned out in factories, like a tribute act to the very worst (wurst?) sausages.

Just when I switched to a plant-based diet too (it's been going great btw).

I would have been gutted if this was before as I used to have their Beyond Sausage farmer's wraps (for Halal reasons) and they were exquisite.

20 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Just when I switched to a plant-based diet too (it's been going great btw).

I would have been gutted if this was before as I used to have their Beyond Sausage farmer's wraps (for Halal reasons) and they were exquisite.

It's only Canada as far as I know.  I'm interested that the reality of customer preference, at least there, doesn't fit the impression we are given that these things are much in demand.

Avoiding these products and having a plant-based diet are in no sense incompatible or contradictory, but the corporations would have us think that eating plant-based means buying their (very profitable) sludge.

• 4 weeks later...
Â