Vegetarianism/Veganism

Stevo985

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I'm not sure that's outrage, just bewilderment. 

The points seem to be they're using a plant based burger and then not making the whole thing plant based. is a bit weird when it would be so easy to do.

And then cooking it on the same grill as they cook meat on seems like another own goal. a LOT of veggies/vegans wouldn't accept that.

Well it depends on your reasons for being vegetarian doesn’t it? If it’s for environmental reasons than perhaps it does make some sense? If it’s for health reasons or animal cruelty reasons then not so much.  

58 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Well it depends on your reasons for being vegetarian doesn’t it? If it’s for environmental reasons than perhaps it does make some sense? If it’s for health reasons or animal cruelty reasons then not so much.  

I get that, but what I meant was it doesn’t make sense for THEM to do it because it alienates a massive portion of the demographic they’re aiming at when they could easily just do it properly. 

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I get that, but what I meant was it doesn’t make sense for THEM to do it because it alienates a massive portion of the demographic they’re aiming at when they could easily just do it properly. 

They aren’t aiming it at that part of the demographic. They already do veggie burgers “properly”, so they know how to do it. 

8 minutes ago, bobzy said:

They aren’t aiming it at that part of the demographic. They already do veggie burgers “properly”, so they know how to do it. 

Who are they aiming it at then?

still seems pretty strange to do a plant based burger that isn’t plant based or vegetarian. 

Surely the demographic of people who are ok eating meat but have come to Burger King for something that isn’t meat is pretty small?

am I missing something?

1 minute ago, chrisp65 said:

It’s for people cutting down their meat consumption, which is a larger demographic than the ‘strict’ vegan.

The sort of thing I might buy.

Yeah but why not stick it on the other grill and do both

Do they have the facilities? I don’t know.

I know they can produce a bean burger but I don’t know if that cooks the same, at the same temperature etc..

Might be that they’ve made it so similar to a standard burger that it needs to cook the same way, whereas the bean burger cooks differently? Pure guess that.

Just now, chrisp65 said:

Do they have the facilities? I don’t know.

I know they can produce a bean burger but I don’t know if that cooks the same, at the same temperature etc..

Might be that they’ve made it so similar to a standard burger that it needs to cook the same way, whereas the bean burger cooks differently? Pure guess that.

They have a separate grill that they use for their veggie burgers

Just now, Stevo985 said:

They have a separate grill that they use for their veggie burgers

Yes, but is it the same temperature, same cleaning process? 

I’m just trying to think of reasons they’d limit sales.

Just now, chrisp65 said:

Yes, but is it the same temperature, same cleaning process? 

I’m just trying to think of reasons they’d limit sales.

Having googled it it seems they're saying they want it to have the taste of their meat burgers by being cooked on the same grill so it tastes as much like a whopper as possible. Which I guess makes a bit of sense.

Still seems like a bit of an own goal to me

5 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Having googled it it seems they're saying they want it to have the taste of their meat burgers by being cooked on the same grill so it tastes as much like a whopper as possible. Which I guess makes a bit of sense.

According to ‘The Foodservice Equipment Journal’ they’ve said they’d need an expensive change of infrastructure to cook them somewhere other than the meat grill.

So who knows. I guess the real test will come when they either sell the quantity they were hoping to and are vindicated. Or, they sell seven of them and suddenly realise they can cook them on the bean burger grill.

I can’t believe they are cooking them on the same grill to grab some taste. Are they saying they don’t clean the grills overnight? Or the first few of the day might be a bit bland? Doesn’t sound right to me.

2 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

According to ‘The Foodservice Equipment Journal’ they’ve said they’d need an expensive change of infrastructure to cook them somewhere other than the meat grill.

So who knows. I guess the real test will come when they either sell the quantity they were hoping to and are vindicated. Or, they sell seven of them and suddenly realise they can cook them on the bean burger grill.

I can’t believe they are cooking them on the same grill to grab some taste. Are they saying they don’t clean the grills overnight? Or the first few of the day might be a bit bland? Doesn’t sound right to me.

That's what was on the BBC article said. They were trying to replicate the "flame grilled taste" as accurately as possible.

It is a bit shitty that they market it as "plant based" but isn't vegan. Doesn't really affect me but I can see why Vegans would be annoyed.

Although I'd question why a vegan that strict would be going to a burger chain anyway

3 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I think they use fire to cook the meat but just a hot plate (or probably just a microwave) for the veggie burger. 

51 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Hardly. Loads of people talking about it, many will now give it a try. Free press for being a bit “wtf?”.

Of course, the vegan outrage is fun too. 

Here's another example (see my MP in Labour thread) of an idiot that doesn't understand how SM really works

Wagamama followers 57K, Piers Morgan followers 7 Million. Well done Mr Dimwit, you just advertised their new product directly to 7 million plus people and probably another 30 million in all the retweets. I'm sure Wagamama are absolutely exstatic at your rant, you dimwitted arse

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, choffer said:

Richmond (meat free) sausages. A revelation. A touch heavy on the spices but other than that, they were great. 

Hopefully they are better than their original counterparts. The meaty ones are the sort thats made of mush with no actual texture. I don't understand why they are so popular.

Â