Vegetarianism/Veganism

Stevo985

One even more tragic one was "When we go out for Christmas parties, will I be able to ask for us to go to a place that has a vegan option", and I was just blown away. How awful must the company you work at be to go "yeah we've got some vegetarians in the team. **** it. Steak house?"

• Like 2

Just now, Davkaus said:

One even more tragic one was "When we go out for Christmas parties, will I be able to ask for us to go to a place that has a vegan option", and I was just blown away. How awful must the company you work at be to go "yeah we've got some vegetarians in the team. **** it. Steak house?"

Well they could take you to Greggs! :trollface:

2 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Yup, and the one thing I'm wary of is the crazy bastards coming out of the woodwork and trying to push the limits of 'reasonable' making us all look bad.

I'm not sure it makes anyone look bad.  If you don't have some claims that are found to be unreasonable, you never really define what the boundary is between reasonable and not reasonable.  It's only putting forward an argument, to test it.  If the person making the claim seems to have an exaggerated sense of entitlement, I can see people resenting that, but just making a case for something shouldn't be resented.

• Like 1

The guy shouldn't have been sacked for being vegan. Its also highly hypocritical of the company (League Against Cruel Sports) to be investing in companies that do animal testing. I get the blokes anger. 

However, one employee shouldn't be able to dictate the pension investment strategy of a business based on a minority belief. 

What he should have done was opt out of the pension scheme, open a SIPP and invest his own money how he sees fit. 

• Like 1

Went to Natural Bar and Kitchen again tonight with my vegan mate. Cracking vegan place opposite the Mailbox in Brum. 

Food is superb. Had the hot dog with fries. Excellent. 

Worth checking out if you are in the area @Stevo985

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Xela said:

The guy shouldn't have been sacked for being vegan.

He wasn't.   He was sacked for communicating details of the pension scheme investment choices, as I understand it.  I don't know why that should be confidential, or disclosure a disciplinary matter.  I think no decision has been reached yet on whether the dismissal was lawful.

19 minutes ago, peterms said:

He wasn't.   He was sacked for communicating details of the pension scheme investment choices, as I understand it.  I don't know why that should be confidential, or disclosure a disciplinary matter.  

It isn't confidential, if the statement from the organisation is to be believe. Nor was it a mandatory fund. It's a defined contribution pension scheme, not a defined benefit. Employees have the option to change their fund. They default scheme was not one that specifically invested in ethical funds, though people have the option to change to one of those.

Some of the comments suggest that his dismissal is due to him offering financial advice to his co-workers.

Basically, it seems that he had a problem with the default fund. He complained. they informed him how to change his or did it on his behalf. Then he went around and generally became a bit of a nuisance trying to rile up all of his colleagues.

Edited by Davkaus

2 hours ago, Xela said:

Went to Natural Bar and Kitchen again tonight with my vegan mate. Cracking vegan place opposite the Mailbox in Brum. 

Food is superb. Had the hot dog with fries. Excellent. 

Worth checking out if you are in the area @Stevo985

Went there last week as it happens. It's really good. Quite a casual place so not suitable for a posh dinner but the food was really good.

They're doing 25% off for Veganuary as well I believ

• Like 1

19 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

They weren't, as far as I can see from what I've followed of the story he wasn't happy that their pension fund was invested in companies involved in or promoting testing on animals - which I get, and at that point the correct course of action would have been for him to resign if he was that bothered.

Why is the 'correct course of action' to resign? That sounds like nonsense to me.

The correct course of action if you find an issue at your workplace is to resign? What cock.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Why is the 'correct course of action' to resign? That sounds like nonsense to me.

The correct course of action if you find an issue at your workplace is to resign? What cock.

If you’re not happy with something on an ethical level then yes, he wasn’t being bullied, he wasnt being discriminated against, he just didn’t like where they invested their pension funds.

But of course, you take the moral high ground snowy, wouldn’t expect anything less. 

• Sad 1

19 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

If you’re not happy with something on an ethical level then yes, he wasn’t being bullied, he wasnt being discriminated against, he just didn’t like where they invested their pension funds.

There are a couple of things here (and I'll admit that I'm only part of the way through reading the submissions of the actual hearing bundle):

You're making a claim of how things were (i.e. claiming the above to be facts) when this appears to be in dispute. He claims that he was being discriminated against (amongst other things including procedures not being followed, not being allowed to appeal, being dismissed for misconduct rather than gross misconduct, &c.) and the charity for whom he worked (i.e. an organsiation that has particular and specific charitable objects which would suggest that an 'ethical level' might be something rather relevant) disputes this and puts it in a similar way to the way in which you've worded it.

Until the case is decided upon, taking one side's claim as fact would appear to be a mistaken approach.

19 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

But of course, you take the moral high ground snowy, wouldn’t expect anything less.

I wasn't taking any moral high ground (to make the suggestion implies a lack of understanding of the phrase on your part), I was pointing out that your 'correct course of action' claim was bollocks.

Returning to the actual case, you may or not be interested to read some of the actual documentation on the hearing which is provided by various links on this page:

At the Tribunal’s direction we are releasing the following documents (in .pdf format):

The Hearing Bundle

The Claimant’s Witness Statement

The Witness Statement of Professor Jeff McMahan, Whites Professor of Moral Philosophy at Corpus Christi College Oxford

The Witness Statement of Dr Jeannette Rowley, founder of the International Vegan Rights Alliance

Written Submissions of Claimant’s Counsel, Chris Milsom of Cloisters Chambers

Edited by snowychap

Let's remove the Vegan perspective from this and talk real world. I work for a company and I see that the company pension is invested in something I disagree with. What in a real world would I do. Nothing, seek a new pension, and/or raise it with my employers that ethically it's a bit off. Leaving a company would be ridiculously drastic, I may mention it to immediate colleagues but it would in all reality be a mere footnote. 

2 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Let's remove the Vegan perspective from this and talk real world. I work for a company and I see that the company pension is invested in something I disagree with. What in a real world would I do. Nothing, seek a new pension, and/or raise it with my employers that ethically it's a bit off. Leaving a company would be ridiculously drastic, I may mention it to immediate colleagues but it would in all reality be a mere footnote. 

He did raise it with his employers (the Head of Finance) - almost immediately after his contributions started (11th Jan 2017). Both parties accept that.

His dismissal came over a year later - April 2018.

1 minute ago, snowychap said:

He did raise it with his employers (the Head of Finance) - almost immediately after his contributions started (11th Jan 2017). Both parties accept that.

His dismissal came over a year later - April 2018.

I worded it clumsily. Sorry about that what I was trying to convey was what should have happened away from Veganism. They, the league against cruel sports over reacted, but me in his shoes I would have just sought another, ethical, pension. 

Cooked tofu for the first time tonight. 

Used it in a stir fry (after a second trip to the shop because I bought silken tofu the first time)

It was pretty decent. Seasoned it well. Only thing I think I needed to do I think was cut the chunks a bit smaller so that you got more of the cooked texture throughout. 

Any tofu tips from anyone on here?

Â