Vegetarianism/Veganism

Stevo985

10 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Nothing against the idea behind Veganuary but it is possibly the worst play on words I have ever heard.

Not as bad as the woman in the canteen here. Told me they were doing a vegan pasta bake for "VeganFebruary" :D 

I don't have huge issues with meatless Mondays, but why can't we have celeri free days? Like all days. Shit tastes like an industrial solvent and that's being nice. Hate it. Hate it. And I'm inclined to eat anything so that's saying something. 

• Like 1

I’ve just bought fresh celery for tonight’s vegetable chilli.

It’s not ‘vegetarian’ it just doesn't have meat in it.

It will also contain the last of our own grown onions, chillis and garlic, we’ll be buying that stuff again from the weekend for the first time in about 7 or 8 months.

Not really well planned survival prepping, if you basically run out of all your provisions on 2nd January.

6 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I don't have huge issues with meatless Mondays, but why can't we have celeri free days? Like all days. Shit tastes like an industrial solvent and that's being nice. Hate it. Hate it. And I'm inclined to eat anything so that's saying something. 

Are you talking about raw celery, which I see no reason ever to eat except in a post-apocalypse scenario?

Finely diced and simmered in good oil with onion and carrot, or with onion and green pepper for those of a Creole persuasion, it's a great base for many dishes.

I'll go through this thread ready to take legal action bitches.

Ethical veganism is a "philosophical belief" and so is protected in law, a tribunal has ruled for the first time.

The case was brought by vegan Jordi Casamitjana, who claims he was sacked by the League Against Cruel Sports because of his ethical veganism

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-50981359

8 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Next time I get sacked I might see if I can  claim unfair dismissal on the basis that I believe I shouldn't have to work Mondays, it's my belief.

They haven't ruled on the unfair dismissal part, and based on the facts that have been published, I imagine he's shit out of luck when it comes to that part.

The judgement so far is essentially it's a protected class and you can't dismiss someone due to them being vegan, which doesn't seem unreasonable to me even if it's not exactly an important ruling. I imagine the amount of cases of unfair dismissal this will ever be relevant in could be counted on the fingers of one hand.

As with all of these kind of protections, it's subject to reasonable accommodations. e.g., if a vegan takes a job as a butcher then refuses to actually do any butchering due to their beliefs, they don't have a leg to stand on. 

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Welcome to 2020.

Next time I get sacked I might see if I can  claim unfair dismissal on the basis that I believe I shouldn't have to work Mondays, it's my belief.

Not remotely the same thing :thumb:

I'm not sure about the whole philosophical belief thing, but if someone has been sacked just for being vegan then that's absolutely not right (unless there are some extenuation circumstances I'm not aware of)

Edited by Stevo985

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

As with all of these kind of protections, it's subject to reasonable accommodations

It will be interesting to see what kind of adjustments are considered reasonable.  In the case of an employer with a works canteen, for example, it would be reasonable to offer vegan dishes.  Would that extend to having a wholly separate food prep area to elimiinate any possibility of vegan dishes being prepared where meat had been prepared?  Cost and practicality would come into play.  For employers with no canteen but an area where staff can heat up and eat their own food, is it reasonable to create a separate vegan area?

56 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Not remotely the same thing :thumb:

I'm not sure about the whole philosophical belief thing, but if someone has been sacked just for being vegan then that's absolutely not right (unless there are some extenuation circumstances I'm not aware of)

They weren't, as far as I can see from what I've followed of the story he wasn't happy that their pension fund was invested in companies involved in or promoting testing on animals - which I get, and at that point the correct course of action would have been for him to resign if he was that bothered.

Instead he went and made a point of letting the rest of the company know to incite some form of corporate revolution.

The fact he is vegan has the square root of FA to do with it, but then that's the problem with 'minorities' of this nature, they can't see past their own bullshit.

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

They weren't, as far as I can see from what I've followed of the story he wasn't happy that their pension fund was invested in companies involved in or promoting testing on animals - which I get, and at that point the correct course of action would have been for him to resign if he was that bothered.

Instead he went and made a point of letting the rest of the company know to incite some form of corporate revolution.

The fact he is vegan has the square root of FA to do with it, but then that's the problem with 'minorities' of this nature, they can't see past their own bullshit.

I'm not sure how you know that him being vegan had FA to do with it.

But I agree. if he was inciting corporate revolution, as you put it, then his sacking could well have been justified, vegan or not.

Again, if he was sacked just for being vegan, or treated more harshly because he was vegan, then that's wrong.

As for the bit in bold, it's bollocks. Some vegans are words removed and are blinded by their beliefs. The vast majority of them aren't.
Some meat eaters are words removed and are blinded by their beliefs. The vast majority of them aren't.

Painting a whole "minority" with the same brush because of something like this isn't very sensible.

Edited by Stevo985

11 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I'm not sure how you know that him being vegan had FA to do with it.

But I agree. if he was inciting corporate revolution, as you put it, then his sacking could well have been justified, vegan or not.

Again, if he was sacked just for being vegan, or treated more harshly because he was vegan, then that's wrong.

As for the bit in bold, it's bollocks. Some vegans are words removed and are blinded by their beliefs. The vast majority of them aren't.
Some meat eaters are words removed and are blinded by their beliefs. The vast majority of them aren't.

Painting a whole "minority" with the same brush because of something like this isn't very sensible.

I've yet to meet a vegan who isn't highly opinionated and largely judgmental on the whole subject.

But then, I of course haven't met every vegan in the world.

4 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I've yet to meet a vegan who isn't highly opinionated and largely judgmental on the whole subject.

But then, I of course haven't met every vegan in the world.

Is there anything wrong with being opinionated? If someone has done something as drastic as going Vegan then it's likely they feel pretty strongly about the whole thing. And they have every right to be as, quite frankly, they're right.

As for non-judgemental ones, there's loads, including a fair few in this thread. You should try talking about it instead of judging them ;) 

Â