Vegetarianism/Veganism

Stevo985

Could make things difficult for potential vegans, I suppose you have to draw your own ethical line. 

Are vegetables vegan? Organic agriculture's dirty little secret

Even if you avoid industrial farm produce it’s likely that your veggies will have been grown with the help of manure and other animal products

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/dec/24/vegetables-vegan-organic-agriculture-farming

• Haha 1

We have to eat less meat and we have to waste less food.

All the rest is a level of detail for those with more interest.

My two kids are at different stages of ‘veggie’ that basically equates to making things simple for others by saying they are veggie, when actually they just eat very little meat. To that end, tomorrow they will have nutloaf, and their pigs in blankets will be veggie sausages wrapped with real bacon. If the grandparents notice and comment, then we say the bacon is a veggie alternative. It isn’t, but for some people they really do appear to struggle with the idea of other people eating very little meat.

• Like 3

On 24/12/2019 at 00:38, KenjiOgiwara said:

I don't mind veggie food at this point, but I find it hilarious when people argue the environment case for a veggie/vegan diet. Not actual animal welfare, but climate and so on. That shit is funny. 

Why is it funny?

1 minute ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

You can try doing an LCA on soy from Brazil vs local produced meat for instance. 

That’s a different issue though.

That’s a bit of a false comparison isn’t it. I mean, tinned and shipped Argentinian corned beef versus actual vegetables from my allotment. Let’s make that the test shall we?

22 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

You can try doing an LCA on soy from Brazil vs local produced meat for instance. 

I have no particular knowledge on this stuff, but is that a representative example? Presumably "locally produced meat" is often fed imported crops?

31 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Mate, 90% of that soybean is used as animal feed to supply the meat industry. Are you under the impression the meat we eat wanders around eating grass all day? I think you might need to do some further reading. 

Edited by LondonLax

1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Isn’t a large part of that soy used to feed animals that we then eat?

Even if not, one particular non meat food is bad for the environment therefore a vegan diet is bad for the environment?

its a bit like me saying your meat based diet is bad for the environment because a particular kind of steak Is made from cows that are flown round the world on private jets and delivered to your butcher in 5 litre 4x4s one at a time

• Like 1

On 06/11/2019 at 19:51, Davkaus said:

Has anyone here (particularly people who still eat meat) tried a Beyond Burger? i ordered a burger for lunch in a pub a few days ago, and I put it down after a bite thinking they'd mixed up the order and brought me a meat one, it seemed pretty spot on to me, though it'd been a few years since I ate an actual  meat one.

Some info here on another of these synthetic burgers.

The doctor goes on to explain the process used to make the Impossible Burger have the look of meat, writing that the beef-like appearance of the vegetable-based burger is a product of genetic engineering.

According to Stangle, the red appearance of the vegetable patty comes from genetically splicing a soybean and yeast:

The bacterial enzyme that binds the nitrogen is damaged by the presence of oxygen so the bacterium makes the leghemoglobin to bind oxygen to keep it out of the way. To make enough leghemoglobin to add to the impossible whopper, scientists spliced the gene for leghemoglobin into yeast. They can grow the yeast easily and separate the leghemoglobin and add it to the impossible whopper. So the impossible whopper is technically a genetically modified organism (GMO).

Finally, the doctor explains the radically high amount of estrogen featured in each burger.

“The impossible whopper has 44 mg of estrogen and the whopper has 2.5 ng of estrogen,” wrote Stangle. “That means an impossible whopper has 18 million times as much estrogen as a regular whopper.”

He went on to compare the level of estrogen in the Impossible Burger to soy milk, writing that eating four of the vegetable burgers daily would result in a human male growing breasts:

Just six glasses of soy milk per day has enough estrogen to grow boobs on a male. That’s the equivalent of eating four impossible whoppers per day. You would have to eat 880 pounds of beef from an implanted steer to equal the amount of estrogen in one birth control pill.

In short, the Impossible Burger is a genetically modified organism filled with calorie-dense oils that can make a man grow breasts if eaten in sufficient quantity.

I would think either meat or a proper vegetarian diet are preferable to eating this genetically engineered, processed stuff.

I think if you eat 4 burgers every day, you're going to end up with tits no matter what it's made of :lol:

Articles like that aren't going to stop me eating one. any kind of faux meat is an occasional lazy meal for me when I'm either out or just can't be bothered cooking something proper. Maybe once a week, tops. I'm no more concerned about those findings than a study warning me that eating a take away curry 4 times a day might not be healthy.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Haha 2

I’m pretty sure the whole “soy makes you grow breasts” thing has been debunked anyway but i can’t put my hand on any evidence right now. 

although I don’t remember the last time I saw a vegetarian or vegan make walking around with tits so that’s probably a good indication 

34 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I’m pretty sure the whole “soy makes you grow breasts” thing has been debunked anyway but i can’t put my hand on any evidence right now. 

although I don’t remember the last time I saw a vegetarian or vegan make walking around with tits so that’s probably a good indication 

That's the spirit.  Ignore the knockers.

• Haha 1

To be fair I slightly misread the quote. It says it has estrogen at the same levels as Soy. But still, it does say six glasses of soy milk a day would give you breasts.

Which isn't true.

You can google it but there's dozens of articles debunking it. 

And a study here

To critically evaluate the clinical evidence, and when not available, the animal data, most relevant to concerns that isoflavone exposure in the form of supplements or soy foods has feminizing effects on men.

But like I said the quote does say specifically estrogen, not just soy, but after a google I can't find any evidence that eating any oestrogen rich foods in general will give you breasts except that specific article and that exact quote :D 

7 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Veganuary again. Let's do this!

I had some Vegan burgers on NYE. I really quite like veggie burgers and good vegan food can be phenomenal. These were from a supermarket and devoid of taste. 

The intention is to eat less meat in 2020. Neither my wife or I eat much meat anyway but over the past year more and more I realised that I need to make some changes. I started caring. Not just meat, but lifestyle and Greta Thunberg went from a preachy **** kid to being massively inspirational. I don't know what I am becoming. 

3 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I had some Vegan burgers on NYE. I really quite like veggie burgers and good vegan food can be phenomenal. These were from a supermarket and devoid of taste. 

Like all vegan/veggie food, it can be a bit of a lottery.

Trial and error is the best way but the Beyond Burgers and "Moving Mountains" burgers are usually pretty good.

Quorn ones are ok

• Like 1

Â