Vegetarianism/Veganism

Stevo985

6 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

That's very strange banter. Whatever floats your boat I suppose. But your last sentence suggests you've missed the point again ;)

Yes it is. Again I think you've missed the point if you don't think we know that.

Can you please explain what you mean by me missing the point? 

1 hour ago, blandy said:

If that's the impression you get of the place, I can only say that it's not like that at all. Sure (some of) the politicians are intolerant bells, but my experience of Aussies and Australia is of a pretty laid back, relaxed, friendly, warm country and people.

I get that I'm judging it through a lens. And inherent in that is my own judgementalism. I suppose it's like Americans. The vast majority of those I've met were wonderful people. The times I've spent there were thoroughly enjoyable. I used to think the whole "have a nice day" culture would be properly false, but no, they're genuine. And that's one of the many reasons to love Americans.

Perhaps shoddily worded and (to save everyone from a political/societal rant) almost definitely for another thread I'd guess :thumb:

back on topic though and while we're talking about the discussion in the brexit thread much like the US, the production standards for livestock in Australia are pretty old school.

In July 2009, representatives of the Australian wool industry scrapped an earlier promise, made in November 2004, to phase out the practice of mulesing in Australia by 31 December 2010. The New Zealand industry began phasing out mulesing in 2007 and a ban of mulesing sheep officially came into effect from October 1, 2018

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mulesing

I remember having to explain to bemused Kiwis when I was over there that it would have been cheaper for me in my pub to buy Australian lamb than it was to buy Welsh lamb. Mostly on the supermarket shelves of course over here we'll have British or New Zealand Lamb. But the catering industry is where all the real cheap stuff goes. And it's cheap for a reason.

34 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

Can you please explain what you mean by me missing the point? 

Well you've suggested that "vegetarian soya protein covered in breadcrumbs"

But that was exactly the point I was making. It IS a more accurate description, but nobody knows what that is. The reason veggie products use more well known names more associated with meat is so people know what it is and/or what it tastes similar to.

A more accurate name for a pork sausage would be something like "pigs intestine filled with a mixture of ground meat, salt, breadcrumbs, wheat, rice and flour", but it wouldn't make much sense to call them that.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 3

On 04/04/2019 at 17:50, Shropshire Lad said:

I’m sure it’s been asked before, but people who are upset about the term veggie burgers or vegan sausage rolls because “they’re not burgers/sausages”, do they get upset because the recipe for toad in the hole traditionally contains no amphibians?

I remember getting upset by this in the infants and complaining to my mother that I didn't get any toads in mine

As it happens I finally got round to trying a Greggs vegan sausage roll as it happened, yep tastes like an original meat one. Wouldn’t have noticed the difference.

Describing the original as "A meat one" is a borderline trades descriptions act issue. The originals taste shite so I never got the clamour for a vegan alternative that tasted just the same

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Well you've suggested that "vegetarian soya protein covered in breadcrumbs"

But that was exactly the point I was making. It IS a more accurate description, but nobody knows what that is. The reason veggie products use more well known names more associated with meat is so people know what it is and/or what it tastes similar to.

A more accurate name for a pork sausage would be something like "pigs intestine filled with a mixture of ground meat, salt, breadcrumbs, wheat, rice and flour", but it wouldn't make much sense to call them that.

I agree so I don't think I have missed the point. 

I appreciate that irony, good hearted, silly banter is sometimes difficult to express over the internet. 

3 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

I appreciate that irony, good hearted, silly banter is sometimes difficult to express over the internet. 

Vogons don't do irony, in case the poor irons get harmed

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, bickster said:

I remember getting upset by this in the infants and complaining to my mother that I didn't get any toads in mine

Describing the original as "A meat one" is a borderline trades descriptions act issue. The originals taste shite so I never got the clamour for a vegan alternative that tasted just the same

The “non vegan one” then ;) it tastes similar to the vegan alternative.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

I think it was just shit banter to be honest ;) 

On 04/04/2019 at 17:50, Shropshire Lad said:

As it happens I finally got round to trying a Greggs vegan sausage roll as it happened, yep tastes like an original meat one. Wouldn’t have noticed the difference.

They've managed to replicate the greasy taste of pigs arseholes, snouts and trotters into a vegan package? Impressive.

I doff my cap to Greggs. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, bickster said:

I trust she corrected this oversight at your next meal?

2 minutes ago, peterms said:

I trust she corrected this oversight at your next meal?

She was a teacher, not the school cook! Toads would have been a nutritional improvement in our school dinners

4 minutes ago, bickster said:

She was a teacher, not the school cook! Toads would have been a nutritional improvement in our school dinners

A nature study class in the morning, and you're sorted.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Vegan episode of Food Unwrapped on C4 right now. Looked already at some chicken nuggets made using chicken cells (but still Vegan - well, depending on one's exact criteria I suppose) and about to look more at vegan cheeses.

Update: they went to see some vegan mozzarella being made in a pizzeria. Looked very promising, but unfortunately the ingredients to replace casein (the protein that comes from milk that solidifies cheese) are a closely guarded secret. Obviously each manufacturer wants to have the best product and make money, which is fair enough, but this will hold back progress for vegan produce and therefore converting more people. 

Edited by fightoffyour

Tried a palak paneer yesterday, instead of my usual butter chicken. It was really frigging superb. I’ll say it again, if I were single and childless I could go full veggie without any problems. 

in a massive touch of irony one of my clients has just commissioned me to run a Vegan burger test for them , seems there are some ingredient changes in the pipeline they want to test before launch

hypocrite that I am ,  I just bit my tongue  (tasted just like soya protein) and took their money

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Â