Vegetarianism/Veganism

Stevo985

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0277953618306907

This is interesting.  At least the conclusions, the style of the full paper is just boring and impenetrable to anyone who's not being paid to read it.

Lettuce be happy: A longitudinal UK study on the relationship between fruit and vegetable consumption and well-being

While the role of diet in influencing physical health is now well-established, some recent research suggests that increased consumption of fruits and vegetables could play a role in enhancing mental well-being. A limitation with much of this existing research is its reliance on cross-sectional correlations, convenience samples, and/or lack of adequate controls.

Jumped on the bandwagon and trying a week meat free.

Mainly it's because I saw quite interesting looking meat alternatives and I was very impressed by the Vivera Shawarma.

Got a week's worth of meals in and it's a lot easier than I thought.  I do however find it is important to have a decent meat substitute though rather than just carbs and veg.

I can't see threre being a day where I'll ever be able to say I'll never have a burger or steak again but I could definitely cut a lot of meat out of my diet and virtually eliminate processed meats (Saturday morning bacon sandwich excluded).  

• Like 2

On 20/02/2019 at 19:39, Wainy316 said:

Just had the Vivera Steak.  Not bad I suppose but not something I'd choose.

5/10,so I guess it's still WB

I've not found anything that even closely recreates steak. Even steak strips or something small that you're meant to use for fajitas and stir fries etc just don't taste very nice.

Lots of veggie substitutes are amazing. But I think we can put steak down as something you just can't recreate.

12 days without meat although that also coincided with 12 days without drinking.

I'm going out tomorrow and the kebabs will be calling.

That said I'm surprised how easy it's been.  I was meant to return to normal Monday but haven't really had the desire too.  I at least want to break it with something nice rather than a wafer thin ham sandwich or something.

• Like 1

Today I made linguine with a sauce from sauteed onions and mushrooms, a little bit of chopped red chili, red pesto and a dash of creme fraiche. Pretty damn tasty. 

If I didn’t have kids, I think I could potentially make the step into full vegetarianism. I’m very happy with the changes I have made so far. I’m down to about 150 grams of beef per week, which must be about a quarter of what it was before, and roughly half of my dinners are vegetarian dishes. 

• Like 1

On 22/02/2019 at 20:28, Stevo985 said:

I've not found anything that even closely recreates steak. Even steak strips or something small that you're meant to use for fajitas and stir fries etc just don't taste very nice.

Lots of veggie substitutes are amazing. But I think we can put steak down as something you just can't recreate.

Or bacon 

I discovered some Linda McCartney "pseudo-pulled pork" burgers in the freezer. I think they were a leftover from our daughter's vegan phase. Still within use by date, so I thought I'd give them a try. When cooked they actually smelled remarkably like pulled pork, so I was quite hopeful. 

Nope. They were dry and tasted like cardboard. Two bites, and into the bin they went. I had egg and chips. 

A guy on MasterChef the other night cooked veggie and vegan stuff. A veggie scotch egg and vegan 'cheese'. The cheese looked like something chipped off the inside of a sewer in an area with lots of deep fat fryers.

He didn't go through.

1 minute ago, Chindie said:

A guy on MasterChef the other night cooked veggie and vegan stuff. A veggie scotch egg and vegan 'cheese'. The cheese looked like something chipped off the inside of a sewer in an area with lots of deep fat fryers.

When The Girl was doing her vegan thing, she once brought us some vegan cheese as her contribution to Christmas dinner. It was a strong contender for being the foulest thing I've ever tasted. 

11 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

When The Girl was doing her vegan thing, she once brought us some vegan cheese as her contribution to Christmas dinner. It was a strong contender for being the foulest thing I've ever tasted. 

M&S have this Vegan Macaroni Cheese pot thing, I had it for my lunch one day, two mouthfuls and I went across the road to the Zombie Shopping Centre and bought some minted lamb chops (Hot, cooked and ready to eat)

It was absolutely disgusting

I can't remember having had anything vegan or vegetarian that I truly hated.

In fact I think the only thing I've really disliked that wasn't a 'standard' food was a gluten free pizza once.

It was **** disgusting. You could have carved a replica of Michaelangelo's David with the base. Maybe going vegan would have made it worse, but I struggle to comprehend something being much worse.

The MasterChef home made vegan cheese did look foul though. Like a lump of congealed oil.

Â