Vegetarianism/Veganism

Stevo985

58 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Someone should be calling social services that’s tantamount to child abuse

All done with the best of intentions, no doubt.

It does suggest a need for better public information about food, nutrition, and balanced diets, especially in the face of fads, trends, and lots of misinformation.  We could also do with more information about the connection between the shite that gets added to processed food, and mental health.

23 minutes ago, peterms said:

All done with the best of intentions, no doubt.

It does suggest a need for better public information about food, nutrition, and balanced diets, especially in the face of fads, trends, and lots of misinformation.  We could also do with more information about the connection between the shite that gets added to processed food, and mental health.

Palm oil seems to be the hot topic  due to its impact on the environment and orangutans  , maybe if they can link processed food to slaughtering kittens or something , the public would be more willing to engage in the discussion

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

That's more like a snack box or a side dish. 

Not really much to do with it being vegetarian, just a shit meal.

To be clear, I'm not saying "vegetarian bad".  It's more that a combination of an increase in the number of vegetarians, including among children, and poor awareness of nutrition, produces things like this, where the parents clearly thought they were doing the right thing.

If people are veggie or vegan, they need to pay more attention to ensuring their diet is nutritionally balanced, because there's more chance it won't be than if they eat meat and dairy as well.  A child is in no position to do that, and yet children are possibly more likely to adopt a restricted diet for questionable reasons like faddishness or body dysmorphia, and probably more at risk from the health consequences of inadequate nutrition.  So there's a responsibility for parents, but they're often not equipped to discharge that responsibility, and the information out there is far from clear, accessible, and agreed.  And having the processed food industry latching on to the current trend as a way to sell more shite while making people think it's vegan therefore good, is a disaster waiting to happen.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, fightoffyour said:

Not strictly a veggie thing but funny nonetheless.

Woman thinks veggie sauce smells of bacon, is reassured by company that it does not and is offered reasonable explanation. Woman remains furious and goes to local paper demanding compensation.

Compensation culture. 

This is where companies should just be able to tell people of **** off. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Xela said:

Compensation culture. 

This is where companies should just be able to tell people of **** off. 

Yes.

But it can be confusing - I know vegans who happily eat some "meaty" crisps, because they've checked the ingredients and there's nothing remotely derived from meat in there, though the product is designed to smell and taste like meat.

3 hours ago, bickster said:

Their real proper sausages are very nice, I'd thoroughly recommend them, especially their flat sausages. 

Their flat sausage in a brioche bun with a fried egg. Beautiful. Their carrot and beetroot sausage? Vile.  

• Like 1

On 07/05/2019 at 19:32, peterms said:

Yes.

But it can be confusing - I know vegans who happily eat some "meaty" crisps, because they've checked the ingredients and there's nothing remotely derived from meat in there, though the product is designed to smell and taste like meat.

when I was veggie my cheap n dirty lunch snack of choice was a chicken and mushroom pot noodle

no chicken anywhere near it

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

when I was veggie my cheap n dirty lunch snack of choice was a chicken and mushroom pot noodle

no chicken anywhere near it

I looked this up because it sounds ridiculous

SUITABLE FOR VEGETARIANS OR VEGANS?

All of our Pot Noodles are suitable for vegetarians, but Pot Noodle Chicken & Mushroom flavour is not suitable for vegans, as it may contain milk and eggs.

That includes:

• Chicken & Mushroom Flavour
  • Beef & Tomato Flavour
  • Chilli Beef Flavour
  • Sticky Rib Flavour
  • Chicken Korma
  • BBQ Pulled Pork

Yet veggie burgers need renaming so people aren't mislead. 😂

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Davkaus said:

I looked this up because it sounds ridiculous

That includes:

• Chicken & Mushroom Flavour
  • Beef & Tomato Flavour
  • Chilli Beef Flavour
  • Sticky Rib Flavour
  • Chicken Korma
  • BBQ Pulled Pork

Yet veggie burgers need renaming so people aren't mislead. 😂

Most crisps are the same.

Not always, so it's worth double checking the packaging.

But I'd say 95% of the time (I haven't worked it out, just going on my experience) meat flavoured crisps don't have any meat in them.

4 minutes ago, djdabush said:

See also bisto gravy as something you wouldn't expect to be veggie but actually is.

Yeah I discovered this recently, to my pleasant surprise :) 

M&S are in the news because they took all the gelatine out of Percy Pigs and people have kicked off. So they're now considering putting it back in.

Which seems mental to me. Why would you be so anti veggie as to want gelatine put back into a product?!

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

M&S are in the news because they took all the gelatine out of Percy Pigs and people have kicked off. So they're now considering putting it back in.

Which seems mental to me. Why would you be so anti veggie as to want gelatine put back into a product?!

It's utterly retarded.

• Like 1

Â