18/19 Race for Promotion

KJT123

I think if we become solid defensively and can actually get a decent keeper in. We have a very strong possibility for play offs.

However the next run of games are horrendous and thia is where we needed to be in a  decent position with the easier fixtures (cheers bruce)

However lets not forget we have gone away to the two top teams in the league Norwich and sheff united. 

• Like 1

Don't look promotion material to me - to suspect in defence - and too many players who are brilliant one minute then can barely trap a ball the next. we need to be more of unit which may take some time.

• Like 1

I don't think we will get promoted this season I think defensively we are weak and we need to score more than we concede.

I also think we lack a real height and presence in the CB position.

Currently we are relying on Abraham to defensive win headers from set pieces.

Those next six games aren't all tough. Our next home game is against the knuckle draggers! ;)

We need to stay in touch with sixth place during what is left of this year and then kick on in 2019 when we have been able to strengthen areas of weakness. To stay in touch I think we will need 10 points from our next six games and I think we will get them.

As far as automatic is concerned obviously that is our preferred option but at this stage we need to aim first for the play off places and then go for the highest possible placing.

The positive thing for us is that teams like Leeds, WBA, Derby and Boro that have hit the front have not yet been able to pull clear of us. I back us to come up on their shoulder as the bell for the last lap sounds and to have them eating our dust as we power past them in the home straight with our sprint finish to the line. :flag:

• Like 4

I can’t be the only one who thinks that we can easily claw ten points back on the teams above us?! 

With our attack and now hopefully Chester and Axel finding form we can storm the league, even with a couple of losses here and there we will be up there.

1 hour ago, Tommo_b said:

I can’t be the only one who thinks that we can easily claw ten points back on the teams above us?! 

With our attack and now hopefully Chester and Axel finding form we can storm the league, even with a couple of losses here and there we will be up there.

We still concede too much. Let’s face it had it not been for incredible defending by Chester then Bolton would have scored

I reckon If we can stay in convention by Jan and then sure up back 5 we might have an outside chance of making playoffs. 

16 hours ago, villalad21 said:

We can't seem to win away games.

I see a mid table side

All teams aren’t winning away from home. All teams are struggling.

Had we win at Norwich we’d only be 3 points behind them. 

SHA and QPR loomed as good as relegated they’re above us at the moment.

I think Wolves were 36 or even 39 at this stage.

How long had Leeds and Boro been above 20 points?

Norwich and Sheff U could easily go the other way round.

7 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

We still concede too much.

I don't know about that, we've only conceded 3 goals in the last 4 games, and we are growing in confidence each game. I honestly dont think the defence is half as bad as it was under Bruce where we only kept 1 clean sheet all season, we already have 2 under Smith, thats 50% of his games.

We do need players, dont get me wrong, but until January comes around its amazing what playing players (especially defenders) in their correct positions can achieve! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Junxs said:

I don't know about that, we've only conceded 3 goals in the last 4 games, and we are growing in confidence each game. I honestly dont think the defence is half as bad as it was under Bruce where we only kept 1 clean sheet all season, we already have 2 under Smith, thats 50% of his games.

We do need players, dont get me wrong, but until January comes around its amazing what playing players (especially defenders) in their correct positions can achieve! 

True. I probably should have said we still concede too many big chances. But to be fair conceding 3 goals in 4 games with 2 of them being errors is promising. 

• Like 1

23 goals conceded in 16 games is bad no matter how you see it.

There are no stand out teams in this league however the teams that are challenging for promotion are better collectively than ourselves.

If we can get through the next 6 games with 12 points then my view would change but at this moment I cannot see us winning away against some of those teams.

12 hours ago, Tommo_b said:

DId you also think we could catch  Wolves after we beat them 4 - 1?

Because that's how alot of you are coming off to me these days.

Most people never have any moderate/realistic expectancies that's why we usually get so bitterly disappointed.

We have a long way to go. Let's just take it game by game.

The 12 or so teams above us don't stop playing and wait for us to pick up points before they "go again".

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Junxs said:

We look a lot better at the back now that Chester and Axel are starting to be a proper pair. The problem is that we have NOTHING for cover in there. We will be absolutely screwed there if they both get knocks, we'd be forced to play the kids then, so who knows actually they might be great, but I'd probably not back us to unearth two awesome center backs who'd not even made out bench before now. 

How Bruce left us like this after plenty of time and transfer windows to sort it out is just criminal.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, romavillan said:

We look a lot better at the back now that Chester and Axel are starting to be a proper pair. The problem is that we have NOTHING for cover in there. We will be absolutely screwed there if they both get knocks, we'd be forced to play the kids then, so who knows actually they might be great, but I'd probably not back us to unearth two awesome center backs who'd not even made out bench before now. 

How Bruce left us like this after plenty of time and transfer windows to sort it out is just criminal.

Shows how professional the guy is. He knew a sacking was on the cards so went in to the season unprepared.

In his defence though there was no dof and ceo so it might have been difficult to conduct business.