18/19 Race for Promotion

KJT123

6 hours ago, Merson08 said:
Matchday 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46
Ground H A A H A H H A H A H H H A A H A H H A H A H A A H A H A H H A H A H A H A A H A H H A H A
Result D L L W D D D W W W W L W D W L W W W D D L D L W W W W W W W L D W L W W L D W L W W W D L
Position 10 21 23 16 15 18 18 13 10 8 7 7 5 6 5 6 5 4 4 4 5 5 6 8 7 5 4 4 3 3 2 3 3 3 3 3 3 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4

Please show me where "a lot" of shite happened, as your referencing Villalad subjecting 17/18 season. I agree he should of gone this season, but last season he did a great job. 

I look at everything objectively and use hard facts to back up pretty much everything I say. If were referring to game 20 to 24 its a pretty poor run of 5 games over the Christmas period. Outside of that we had 3 draws in a row early in the season, but never went on any mad losing streaks.

Steve Bruce has shown every side we need to see of him to make an assessment, ultimately leaving our defense threadbare, which showed in our results were too bad to allow him to stay. 

deleted

And one more thing—some of those results, the 4-2 against Sheffield Wednesday particularly, were weird. I remember that we were a bit shit that day and yet ended up winning with four goals.

EDIT: I think Grealish makes a big difference and my stat analysis was bad.

Edited by praisedmambo

1 hour ago, praisedmambo said:

I believe Grealish came back after matchday 10, or on matchday 10. So I believe Grealish made a difference to Bruce's improvement last season. Yet apparently Grealish doesn't make a difference and it all comes down to Dean Smith this downturn since, er, Grealish got injured. As I said above, how many of those highlight games last season included Grealish.

And one more thing—some of those results, the 4-2 against Sheffield Wednesday particularly, were weird. I remember that we were a bit shit that day and yet ended up winning with four goals.

Just to fill in the gaps re- Grealish.  His first appearance (not start) was as 3rd sub on gameweek 16 v Sheff Wed (Nov 4th).  He missed gameweek #17 and was then a sub for weeks 18 thru 21 inclusive.  His first start was gameweek 22 (December 16th) at Derby (2-0 loss).

• Like 2

I have a feeling we'll go on another run of wins like we did last season when Jack is back fit and firing. With everyone fit (we'll just have to make do with the fullbacks, ugh), I'm very confident in this team to pick up results.

Kalinic
Hutton  Axel/Chester       Mings/Elphick  Taylor
                                    Carroll
                           Grealish  McGinn
          El Ghazi                                  Kodjia
                                  Abraham

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Farlz said:

Still no Grealish until the end of the month then. If I hadn't lost hope with promotion already then I think I might have now. 

How the ****? What the hell is taking so long.

I was banking on Grealish being back within the next week or so just in time before our play-off chances were all but gone.

I think they will be now by the time he is back!

We aren't out of the playoff running yet...  A lot can happen between now and the end of the season.  Jack will be back by the end of the month, with Axel shortly after that.  Reading was the best performance our defense gave all season.  If we can just figure out how to keep the backline solid while still feeding Tammy, we can easily sneak into the playoff spots when spring rolls around.  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, praisedmambo said:

How about a midfield of Jedinak, Carroll and McGinn in the meantime?

Jedinak looked pretty solid when he came on against Reading. He certainly has some strengths to his game. I think I need a break from Whelan/Hourihane.

Depends how we're playing, if we want to go from back to front quickly then Jedinak might do a job in heading the returning long balls to someone who can pass. Otherwise no, Carroll behind McGinn and Hourihane if it's a 3. At least try it, I'd like to see us going back to what we were doing when we were scoring for fun and looked very porous at the back. Try it out again now we have more in the centre of defence and a better keeper. Play from the back, one and two touch, high tempo. I prefer 5-5 to 0-0 anyway ;)

• Like 3

5 hours ago, praisedmambo said:

Ok then, how many of the exciting games did we not have Jack Grealish?

Most of them actually...

Norwich at Home was 4-2. Grealish not in squad

Barnsley away 0-3. Grealish not in squad

Burton away 0-4. Grealish not in squad

Fulham at home 2-1. Grealish not in squad

Bristol City at home 5-0. Grealish played 80 minutes, 4-0 when he was taken off

Sheff Wednesday away 2-4. Grealish not in squad

Sunderland away 0-3. Grealish came on as a sub in the 67th minute, Already 3-0 when he came on

Wolves home 4-1. Grealish played full 90

Ipswich Town away 0-4. Grealish played full 90

Edited by LakotaDakota
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Of those games I would say only the Norwich, Bristol, Wednesday and Wolves games were exciting anyway. The Wednesday match especially was crazy. The rest were just putting bad teams to the sword which you'd expect a team in the top 3/4 to do.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

We put good teams to the sword with Jack fit. Something we rarely did under Bruce so there's that.

It's easier when you have that new manager effect, it's worn off now.

We will see how much difference Jack will make when he is back, i predict it's limited.

12 hours ago, Merson08 said:
Matchday 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46
Ground H A A H A H H A H A H H H A A H A H H A H A H A A H A H A H H A H A H A H A A H A H H A H A
Result D L L W D D D W W W W L W D W L W W W D D L D L W W W W W W W L D W L W W L D W L W W W D L
Position 10 21 23 16 15 18 18 13 10 8 7 7 5 6 5 6 5 4 4 4 5 5 6 8 7 5 4 4 3 3 2 3 3 3 3 3 3 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4

Please show me where "a lot" of shite happened, as your referencing Villalad subjecting 17/18 season. I agree he should of gone this season, but last season he did a great job. 

I look at everything objectively and use hard facts to back up pretty much everything I say. If were referring to game 20 to 24 its a pretty poor run of 5 games over the Christmas period. Outside of that we had 3 draws in a row early in the season, but never went on any mad losing streaks.

Steve Bruce has shown every side we need to see of him to make an assessment, ultimately leaving our defense threadbare, which showed in our results were too bad to allow him to stay. 

I’m sure we lost back to back games after Wolves. 3-1 to QPR and 1-0 to Bolton?

edit: I do like what you’ve put together though. 

Actually is it because the QPR game got moved but it’s in the original place on your table?

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

When Smith took over I thought the season was over and anything he achieved this season was a bonus. I think his first few games gave abit of false hope and recent weeks is more of what I expected. It takes time to build a team and a new way of playing.

Even Pep needed a season even though he took over one of the most expensively assembled squads in history.  I wonder if city fans were calling for his head after they finished 4th. A lot of our lot would have been I bet..

To be honest I’m actually pleasantly surprised we are still so close to playoffs so can’t complain.

But then you get those that thought he would transform us and show massive instant improvement. I can see why they would be very disappointed and disgruntled. It’s understandable.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

When Smith took over I thought the season was over and anything he achieved this season was a bonus. I think his first few games gave abit of false hope and recent weeks is more of what I expected. It takes time to build a team and a new way of playing.

Even Pep needed a season even though he took over one of the most expensively assembled squads in history.  I wonder if city fans were calling for his head after they finished 4th. A lot of our lot would have been I bet..

To be honest I’m actually pleasantly surprised we are still so close to playoffs so can’t complain.

But then you get those that thought he would transform us and show massive instant improvement. I can see why they would be very disappointed and disgruntled. It’s understandable.

We are only close because the teams have been plYing each other. No one is saying smith out, but there is without a shadow of a doubt smith should have delivered a higher points total in January when you consider the fixtures