What's your tipple this evening then?

coda

Dalwhinnie Winter’s Gold. Not much left though so into a bottle Jura tomorrow night. 

Definitely didn’t buy enough beer before this all kicked off. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I haven't seen that one before, sounds interesting.

Bit of a caramel porter - with a texture, a bit creamy - have to say it hits the spot! Available from Brewdog direct. Also this one which needs moderation -

cocoa_psycho_330ml_can_3d_render.png

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Awol said:

Dalwhinnie Winter’s Gold. Not much left though so into a bottle Jura tomorrow night. 

Definitely didn’t buy enough beer before this all kicked off. 

Finished my Dalwhinnie the other night, now onto Jura as well.

• Haha 1

Been buying Red wine (Malbec, Shiraz mostly), but been trying the £9+ ranges (reached £15 the other day) because of the following graphics I saw about 6 years ago jamming itself in my head;

Taxes and cost of a wine bottle in UK

Some have been really pleasant, I'm no connoisseur, but I've found that the cheaper wines (especially after the first taste), taste somewhat "vinegary"?  

The nicer wines stay quite sweet and it's much nicer.  

Don't have wine often, but it's sometimes nice to have a glass after a stressful day or with your dinner :)  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

Some have been really pleasant, I'm no connoisseur, but I've found that the cheaper wines (especially after the first taste), taste somewhat "vinegary"?  

Don't have wine often, but it's sometimes nice to have a glass after a stressful day or with your dinner :)  

I find all red wine tastes vinegary to me. I just can't get on with it, which is a shame as I **** love grapes! 

Can anyone recommend a nice red wine that tastes like vimto/ribena?

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Xela said:

I find all red wine tastes vinegary to me. I just can't get on with it, which is a shame as I **** love grapes! 

Don't know if it tastes like them but Apothic Red is my favourite, certainly supermarket, wine that I've ever had. That means it's probably on the very slightly sweet side. Not that I'm a connoisseur, or even close to being one.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I'm a big big fan of these, especially the two you've bought.

Good choice - the first time I had it (the green one) was in Edinburgh in late-2017 before we went to The Rat Pack Piano bar. My partner taxed the pint glass and it now sits in the living room with pound coin stash. I often buy the bottles from Aldi. 

• Like 2

NORTH WEST COMMUNITY BRANDS LAUNCH FIRST SEASONAL BEER RANGE

I bought the second from the left for tonight; bought only because of The Salford Lads Club image and a liking for Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before by The Smiths. £1.60 and I have no expectations but it will be guzzled.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Xela said:

To be honest I was the same initially, I enjoyed wine, but could never just drink wine without a meal, because of that vinegary taste after the first sip.

I found Shiraz to be much sweeter than other red wines, it remained sweet after the first taste.  I'd recommend a decent Shiraz.

I'm not sure on its status in the red wine world, but from there I've gone onto the more rich malbecs which are a bit drier than Shiraz.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

Been buying Red wine (Malbec, Shiraz mostly), but been trying the £9+ ranges (reached £15 the other day) because of the following graphics I saw about 6 years ago jamming itself in my head;

Taxes and cost of a wine bottle in UK

it's why I've been doing wine clubs for the past 4-5 years. 

Virgin Wines, Naked Wines ( who advertise that graphic alot ) and others end up doing different types and plenty of good wine,  put some money aside each month and then splash out on a crate of wine in the 10-15 per bottle range and you definitely notice the difference, they are more reliably lovely. Not all of them, subjective taste and preference still comes into it, but you find wines which taste smoother or fruitier, or richer, sweeter, with better flavour more frequently. 

I'm not a total snob though and there is perfectly adequate wine in supermarkets, but the randomising of their pricing offers means it can be pot luck with what you get. 

That said on an indulgent evening a couple of months ago, we decided to go big for a £35 bottle of Sancerre, the most I've paid for one bottle and it was distinctly underwhelming. 

Edited by Rodders
  • Like 1

Â