What's your tipple this evening then?

coda

10 hours ago, Xela said:

Where does everyone get their wild and wacky ales from? Most supermarkets tend to have the standard popular ales. 

I usually go to Cotteridge Wines, which has a really good selection of unusual stuff and imports (despite the name, it's almost entirely beers). Don't know if it's open these days though.

• Like 1

On 02/04/2020 at 09:29, Troglodyte said:

Ableforth's Rumbullion!, 70 cl: Amazon.co.uk: Grocery

First time I've tried this. Lovely stuff.

I want to get some of this because I had it in a bar a few weeks ago and it was amazing, but waiting for it to appear on Amazon or somewhere at a decent price:

Plantation Rum Stiggins' Fancy Pineapple — Plantation Rum

Bought a bottle of the pineapple rum as your post intrigued me and it’s readily available here. I’m not so sure tbh. Tastes like southern comfort and bad uni decisions. How were you drinking it? I just had it on the rocks but maybe I’ll try it as an old fashioned. 

Edit: not criticising your drinks taste. It has rave reviews online so I’m clearly just missing something or I’m an uncultured swine. 

Edited by Spoony
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Spoony said:

Bought a bottle of the pineapple rum as your post intrigued me and it’s readily available here. I’m not so sure tbh. Tastes like southern comfort and bad uni decisions. How were you drinking it? I just had it on the rocks but maybe I’ll try it as an old fashioned. 

Edit: not criticising your drinks taste. It has rave reviews online so I’m clearly just missing something or I’m an uncultured swine. 

I actually got myself a couple of bottles the other day, and to be honest it somehow doesn't quite seem the same as when I tried it in the bar. Obviously it's the same stuff though and I still think it's nice, and yeah I drink it on the rocks too, but I'd been building it up! What would you recommend?

3 hours ago, Troglodyte said:

I actually got myself a couple of bottles the other day, and to be honest it somehow doesn't quite seem the same as when I tried it in the bar. Obviously it's the same stuff though and I still think it's nice, and yeah I drink it on the rocks too, but I'd been building it up! What would you recommend?

Turns out it was decent as an old fashioned! 3-4 dashes of angostura bitters and 2-3 dashes of orange bitters and it was a bit less sweet and quite enjoyable! Went down easy so I had two. Now I’m a bit pissed as I’ve been drinking since 2pm anyway #quarantine

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Xela said:

Just opening one of these...

d6fabc43ed1ebabd87790a5d6b242ca0.jpg

So what does old Tom actually mean? A Canadian friend of mine recently brought round some old Tom gin which looked like it had been barrel aged. Never heard of it before. 

This might be the wrong thread, but how much are people drinking right now? Today we weren’t even allowed to leave the house and on top of being allowed to leave the house for an hour and a half on other days I’m a bit worried my drinking has got a bit out of hand...

I might have to try it as an old fashioned - need to get some bitters in. I quite like sweet rums anyway though. 

I've been drinking more regularly than usual since the lockdown but am easing up a bit now. Was often having around three glasses of bourbon/rum each night, sometimes preceded by a few beers. I think it was mainly just because it seemed nice to take advantage of not having work in the morning, but don't want to let it become a habit!

5 hours ago, Spoony said:

This might be the wrong thread, but how much are people drinking right now? Today we weren’t even allowed to leave the house and on top of being allowed to leave the house for an hour and a half on other days I’m a bit worried my drinking has got a bit out of hand...

As in my photo posts, which are Friday and Saturday night sessions between two of us. Trying and more or less succeeding in avoiding alcohol otherwise though.

6 hours ago, Spoony said:

So what does old Tom actually mean? A Canadian friend of mine recently brought round some old Tom gin which looked like it had been barrel aged. Never heard of it before. 

Old Tom means a stray male cat I think. This drink is a just a name of an ale from Robinsons brewery in Stockport. 

I don't think the gin is anything to do with it. 

6 hours ago, Spoony said:

Not a lot to be honest but that is still more than normal. I never usually drink at home. During lockdown I have had about 5 or 6 ales in total. Nothing to get worried about! 

• Like 1

Tried a bottle of this as Ocado was out of Sailor Jerry. 

It’s ok. You can really taste the pineapple which is nice at first but a bit too sweet after a couple of sips. Something different but won’t be rushing to buy it again. 

A5C7F44E-3F4E-4099-8A12-F1FCD4CFB2DA.jpeg

4 hours ago, Troglodyte said:

Yeah I like that but it is very sweet - not something I mind though. Somehow tastes a little more artificial to me than some other spiced rums, but I'm absolutely no expert so don't know if there's anything in that!

Yeah I’d agree with that. 
I don’t mind my run being sweet. Cherry Old J is sweet but it’s **** delicious. 

But something about this one is too sweet to have in large doses. It’ll be the bottle I keep and have every now and then rather than one I’d have 3 or 4 drinks from in a night. 

I'd like to try to cherry Old J but generally I'm not a fan of cherry flavoured stuff so not going to be getting a bottle! I had the vanilla and lime one for Christmas and wasn't sure at first, but then it grew on me and I very quickly got through the rest!

• Like 1

A couple of people mentioned Brewdog - has anyone had this one on a BA flight?

spacer.png

it doesn’t have particularly rave reviews but I thought it was banging. On a 13 hour flight to Cayman I was absolutely pounding these. 

Â