Israel, Palestine and Iran

Swerbs

Seems to have been a spectacularly successful defence so far. Iran threw everything at this, and failed. 

Israel’s serve. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Tayls said:

The world is a disgusting place at the moment. 

Since 2016 an awful lot of stuff has gone wrong and the source of a lot of it is Fascist Russian hybrid warfare that has divided the west and corroded the things that the west was built on.

Edited by Captain_Townsend
  • Like 3

What's the response been from the gulf states, have the Saudi's spoken about it yet?

It's the kind of time where normally I'd be calling for restraint, but lets face it, Uncle Sam has been waiting for an opportunity to unrestrain on Iran for some time - I have a feeling that Iran might be about to find a fair amount of disagreement on the matter being concluded.

With nothing really being reported in terms of damage or casualties, you'd have to say that (so far) it's an incredible demonstration of the potency of modern air defence systems.

11 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

With nothing really being reported in terms of damage or casualties, you'd have to say that (so far) it's an incredible demonstration of the potency of modern air defence systems.

40 Israeli deaths I heard reported. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

There's that but there's also the fact this isn't Iran going '**** it, war', they've chosen to attack quite carefully with a sharp hit everyone knew was coming without going all out. If they wanted to go for it seriously you'd have seen every Iran aligned proxy actor firing everything alongside the direct Iran based attack, attempting to overwhelm the defence system with numbers. They've not done that, and their comment about the attack essentially proves that - they've said they have retaliated for the consulate attack, and they consider the matter done. So the defence system might not stand up quite so well if Iran fancied really escalating.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chindie said:

There's that but there's also the fact this isn't Iran going '**** it, war', they've chosen to attack quite carefully with a sharp hit everyone knew was coming without going all out. If they wanted to go for it seriously you'd have seen every Iran aligned proxy actor firing everything alongside the direct Iran based attack, attempting to overwhelm the defence system with numbers. They've not done that, and their comment about the attack essentially proves that - they've said they have retaliated for the consulate attack, and they consider the matter done. So the defence system might not stand up quite so well if Iran fancied really escalating.

i think this is the point many might be missing.

I have seen numerous reports that Iran basically advised America and Israel exactly what they were going to do, so as to be able to show they retaliated, but without the actual risk of escalation as what they were doing was effectively advised in advance.

obviously, who knows what is true, but as you say, if iran actually wanted to do a proper attack, this isnt how they would have done it i dont think.

a couple of hours ago the reports were "drones on the way to Israel, they will arrive in a couple of hours", no way any serious attack would have been done in that way, its like telegraphing exactly what you are doing.

• Like 1

Yeah, this was quite well calibrated from Iran. Showing they can escalate if they absolutely need to, without doing anything that actually damaged Israel and would force them to escalate further.

Of course, the fact Iran really doesn’t want a war right now is precisely the reason why Israel is taking the opportunity to weaken Iranian proxies in Syria and Lebanon. I don’t think they’ll strike back at Iran itself but I’m not sure I see them stopping the attacks on the foreign proxies.

Several Iranian missiles got through. I don't see how Israel aren't going to go after the launch sites. Civilian housing hit in particular outside Ramon air base.

Iran just launched around 1000 missiles and UAVs at Israel for a strike in another country by 1 missile. 'This is a response to your missile! Here, have 1000!'. Israel has an excuse to go after production facilities for shaheds, launch sites, and anything related to the attack in Iran. Judging by how many of the other neighbours of Iran that tried to shoot their stuff down I'd likely argue that the ME would be better if Iran was put properly in its place.

Edited by magnkarl

15 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

Iran just launched around 1000 missiles and UAVs at Israel for a strike in another country by 1 missile.

Sounds similar to something which happened a couple of months ago.

• Like 2

I read (or maybe saw on the news yesterday) that a number of the Middle Eastern countries that you'd expect to (at least morally) side with Iran assisted Israel in destroying drones and providing radar support last night in an effort to try to persuade Israel not to retaliate. I'd hope that has some sort of impact. 

The Iranian attack is an incredibly dangerous moment and while Israel will want to respond, the world would be a much better place if they let this one go for now.

I don’t really understand Israel’s position in terms of saying they will retaliate, surely someone like Iran could just flatten them if they really wanted to. are Iran not in a real position to do so? Or do nukes just trump everything.

11 minutes ago, Nicho said:

I don’t really understand Israel’s position in terms of saying they will retaliate, surely someone like Iran could just flatten them if they really wanted to. are Iran not in a real position to do so? Or do nukes just trump everything.

Whenever tested ie their conflict with Saddam, the Iranian military have shown themselves to be remarkably inept. 

Edited by meregreen
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, meregreen said:

Whenever tested ie their conflict with Saddam, the Iranian military have shown themselves to be remarkably inept. 

Yeah, but then their proxies have proved very effective as the recent wars between Israel / Hezbollah and Houthi / entire Arab world have proved. The best Iranian troops are Republican Guard, not their conventional military.

Israel is too strong to be conquered militarily (especially if the US is backing them up) but Iran and it’s proxies still pose plenty of threat, even if we were somehow capable of shutting down their nuclear program once war kicked off. Not really a war anyone wants to fight.

Â