New Manager Speculation

maqroll

Although there is no chance that he will ever join us whilst we are in this division, Brendan Rodgers would be an excellent appointment if we were to replace Bruce at some point this season.

Failing that, I do agree that we should start to look further afield than just the UK for a manager. For example, Ivan Leko at Club Brugge is doing really good things there. There's got to be more than just "Yes, but how many times has he got teams promoted from the Championship."

• Like 2

All I want to see is a manager that can come in and give us a 'Villa' brand of football which is implemented right throughout the club from academy up to 1st team and is given time to make a success of it and lay the blue print for any subsequent managers to follow. 

Look at the successful clubs in Europe that often promote a reserve/youth coach from within who continues to follow on using the same blue print and are successful (Luis Enrique, Pep, Zidane etc).

I'm fed up with hiring managers with a short sighted approach that continually serve up rubbish on the pitch in the hope of smashing and grabbing promotion!

20 minutes ago, New_Hope said:

All I want to see is a manager that can come in and give us a 'Villa' brand of football which is implemented right throughout the club from academy up to 1st team and is given time to make a success of it and lay the blue print for any subsequent managers to follow. 

Look at the successful clubs in Europe that often promote a reserve/youth coach from within who continues to follow on using the same blue print and are successful (Luis Enrique, Pep, Zidane etc).

I'm fed up with hiring managers with a short sighted approach that continually serve up rubbish on the pitch in the hope of smashing and grabbing promotion!

Never understand this - thought the villa brand had been going since 1874.

It all falls that load of tosh - about Identity, philosophy, ethos , culture - all rubbish of course - I just want us to win matches.

1 hour ago, New_Hope said:

Easy as that then ;) 

9 minutes ago, Hairdo said:

From watching the All or Nothing Manchester City documentary, Mikel Arteta comes across like an intelligent coach. Would be a great shout imo

I imagine he would be good. Ticks a lot of boxes

• Like 2

2 hours ago, New_Hope said:

This is not a managers job.

This is a setup that needs to be implemented from the ground up before a head coach is brought in the bring those plans together. Head coaches are far more easily replaceable as they don't have the same responsibilities as a manager would because they specifically don't do any of the things you want 

If you expect a manager to come in and change the entire set up at the club implementing a style and brand from the youth system up, while managing the first team himself with a fan base that considers 4th place a catastrophic failure you're going to be incredibly disappointed.

That's a job for the board, not a manager. A manager is not going to work his ass off doing the work of a dozen (or more) people to effectively make himself easily replaceable

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kiwivillan said:

I imagine he would be good. Ticks a lot of boxes

He ticks no boxes.

• Never managed a club
  • never coached or even played at a club in a crisis so how he deal with adversity.
  • Whats his defensive style?
  • or attacking?
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, hippo said:

Whats he waiting for then - with one fan endorsement its a done deal.

Arteta is becoming a very decent coach. He may not have the individual management experience, but he would certainly be a step up on the training ground to our present incumbent.

Sarcasm is a poor reply to poster's genuine opinions.

• Like 2