New Manager Speculation

maqroll

As exciting as it appeared at first, the more I think about Henry, he seems like a bad choice.

Our club isn't the place for a new manager to cut his teeth.  It's not the right environment to learn your trade - and as good as he comes across in the sky studios, there's far more to management than simply being able to explain Barcelona's tactics on a touchscreen.  There's too much risk involved in an appointing someone so completely inexperienced and we've seen first hand what risky strategy can result in.  Yes he could be the next Pep but 'could' isn't good enough for Aston Villa.

I'm not blind to what Lampard and Gerard are doing, but no two situations are alike and knowing our luck, we'd be the example which bucked the trend.

Brendan Rodgers for me is (as Stan Collymore recently tweeted) an absolute no brainer.  To quote that tweet..."He's a super coach, managed at two huge clubs, track record of finding young gems in/out of club, front foot football, knows league."  Whatever you think of Stan, I don't think you can argue with him on that.

As a mid-table placed championship club, we shouldn't really have a chance of attracting someone of his standing and abilities, but listening to him the other day (when he said he couldn't turn the job down because he hadn't been offered it) I just got the inkling that he fancies it.  If I were the owners, I'd be going after him in a big way, doing whatever it takes to get him down here.

Edited by GREAT_BEARD_OF_ZEUS
  • Like 1

The problem with someone like Smith would be in the premier league. Most players in the UK wouldn't have a clue who he was if he was sat opposite them, let alone anyone outside of the UK. Like it or not a "known" manager/big name makes a huge difference when going after players and dealing with some of the egos on a day to day basis. We already have a chunk of players that are "bigger than Smith" and that is not something he is used to at all.

There is absolutely no chance at all that we would have got Snodgrass/Terry etc playing last year had Smith been in charge & this would be the same going forwards.

Just do whatever is needed to get Rodgers, simples.

Edited by LakotaDakota

13 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

The problem with someone like Smith would be in the premier league. Most players in the UK wouldn't have a clue who he was if he was sat opposite them, let alone anyone outside of the UK. Like it or not a "known" manager/big name makes a huge difference when going after players and dealing with some of the egos on a day to day basis. We already have a chunk of players that are "bigger than Smith" and that is not something he is used to at all.

There is absolutely no chance at all that we would have got Snodgrass/Terry etc playing last year had Smith been in charge & this would be the same going forwards.

Just do whatever is needed to get Rodgers, simples.

Let's cross the hypothetical bridge of villa being premier league when we get to it.

12 minutes ago, bobzy said:

So, how about in the Championship?  After all, that is the league we're competing in...

Same thing really, they are used to bringing in 7/8 players a year for a combined 6 million quid or so. no players even signed at all for 3 million quid, We have players not even playing that are picking up that in wages. Quite a jump to a team full of people on 40 grand a week from scratting around in league 2 & foreign second divisions looking for bargains.

Brentford are good enough to stay up without really trying and there is no real expectation for them to be going up, We are expected to be out of this league asap and that is a massive difference in attitude & pressure for someone who is used to ticking along in relative peace

Edited by LakotaDakota
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I have a feeling if this is true and Henry isn't interested it will be smith.

I can't see Rodgers wanting it

From the outside looking in it seems Henry is a big sticky to deal with - wants almost perfect working conditions at a club which is a tad unrealistic. Didn't he turn down the Bordeaux job because finances weren't to his liking ? Talk is that purslow wants to interview candidates. Alan Nixon has said there isn't a hope that Rodgers would interview for it. Offered it or nothing. Could well be Smith yet.

8 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

Same thing really, they are used to bringing in 7/8 players a year for a combined 6 million quid or so. no players even signed at all for 3 million quid, We have players not even playing that are picking up that in wages. Quite a jump to a team full of people on 40 grand a week from scratting around in league 2 & foreign second divisions looking for bargains.

Brentford are good enough to stay up without really trying and there is no real expectation for them to be going up, We are expected to be out of this league asap and that is a massive difference in attitude & pressure for someone who is used to ticking along in relative peace

But how do you know though that he can't do all of what you listed. You or I know nothing about how Dean Smith could/could not handle what you listed.

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I can understand that.

In fact i can understand that from any manager currently employed at a decent level.

Imagine Rodgers interviewing for the Villa job, not getting it, and then having to go back to Celtic to carry on his job there.

We'd be livid if a Villa manager did that with another team.

Can't we just go about the proper channels and ask Celtic and Brentford to speak with their respective managers ?

Just now, Johnnyp said:

Can't we just go about the proper channels and ask Celtic and Brentford to speak with their respective managers ?

Huh? I didn't mean do it behind their backs.

Imagine a club that is a step down from us (which is how Celtic will see us without a doubt) going through the proper channels, asking to interview our manager, he goes off to interview for that job, doesn't get it and then comes back to carry on managing us.

The fans would go bananas.

5 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

So if Henry doesn't want it, Rui Faria and JT can't be bad surely?

Alot of pedigree there.

Be very happy with that considering our circumstances .... or Faria and Petrov ... 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

But how do you know though that he can't do all of what you listed. You or I know nothing about how Dean Smith could/could not handle what you listed.

He may be abe to but we will never know and he will probably not even get a chance. Same reason Eddie Howe will never manage a top 6 club. If you at a "big club" with high expectations you need a manager with a name/reputation.

A chubby midlands chap who looks about 10 years older than he is that played in the lower leagues and has managed walsall & Brentford just isn't going to get many opportunities to go higher.

Edited by LakotaDakota

14 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Im not so sure about that!

Why would he? He’s gone Swansea, Liverpool, Celtic. Why would he drop back down to Swansea’s level?

Come here to this terrible league and deliver success with no money or have a cabbage thrown at you. Doesn’t sound appealing...