New Manager Speculation

maqroll

58 minutes ago, Jareth said:

I think Henry would excel in this league. We've been sheeeeeeeeet defensively, and drawn a ton, but with a sprinkling of va-va-vooom we could have nicked most of those games. It's not like Bruce leaving means we'll be any worse defensively. 

Despite our shitness we are one of highest scoring teams in the league

• Like 1

Just now, praisedmambo said:

I'd argue it's the complete opposite. If we had been able to keep the shit awful goals out we'd have won a fair amount of games comfortably. Imo not replacing Johnstone was the thing that cost Bruce his job. 

Agree. Keeper has cost us.

2 minutes ago, Sam3773 said:

I seem to recall big calls for Wagner last time from large sections of the fan base as he was doing well at Huddersfield and playing great football. 

When Bruce was appointed, some accepted a certain style of play, as Bruce was tried and tested and would get us promoted, as opposed to Wagner's relative inexperience. 

Wagner is now competing in the Premier League and Bruce failed. The point I'm trying to make isn't that Wagner was better than Bruce, it's that we shouldn't fall foul of requiring lots of experience again. As TRO said, just because they've done it, doesn't mean they can do it again, and just because they haven't done it, doesn't mean they won't. 

I don’t think we need a manager with years and years of experience. But a manager with at least some experience as opposed to non at all would be ideal.

Regarding Henry. He has had experience as a coach and assistant manager while playing under probably the best manager around so it wouldn’t be a complete gamble.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I don’t think we need a manager with years and years of experience. But a manager with at least some experience as opposed to non at all would be ideal.

Regarding Henry. He has had experience as a coach and assistant manager while playing under probably the best manager around so it wouldn’t be a complete gamble.

Henry is this years Ole Gunner solsaker.....thankfully cardiff took that bullet for us.

I think Henry will have one abortive stab at management ....before returning to tv and the shadows of coaching and assistant manager roles.

I dont think it will be Henry myself.

16 minutes ago, praisedmambo said:

I'd argue it's the complete opposite. If we had been able to keep the shit awful goals out we'd have won a fair amount of games comfortably. Imo not replacing Johnstone was the thing that cost Bruce his job. 

I'd say Terry

9 hours ago, Villan4Life said:

Love a bit of this down Villa Park

Great Analysis

I think we've got the players for this level to play like that, if that's the style that Henry would try and bring.  It's not exactly rocket science either, and just needs a bit of proper work in training, something it looks like we've been missing under Bruce.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, hippo said:

Henry is this years Ole Gunner solsaker.....thankfully cardiff took that bullet for us.

I think Henry will have one abortive stab at management ....before returning to tv and the shadows of coaching and assistant manager roles.

I dont think it will be Henry myself.

I desperately wanted Wagner last time and expected Bruce to fail

This time round I’ve not got such a clear favourite in my mind but I wouldn’t be averse to Henry - he’s played at the very top level, worked under the very best managers, he’s helped take a team to World Cup semis and I’m sure if he comes it will be because he thinks it is exactly the right move for him - he will only get one chance of failure before his brand is tainted so he will choose very very carefully. 

If the owners go for him they will back him financially and his name will attract players and his reputation and contacts would bring in top quality loans

I’m far from sure but I’d be happy to give him a go

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Despite our shitness we are one of highest scoring teams in the league

Going forward, we’re a dream, we have the best forward in The Championship, it’s just at the back we have problems and in goal but I think these can be sorted providing that the right man comes in as manager, I have no idea who

1 hour ago, praisedmambo said:

To be fair to Bruce, I think he would have wanted to keep Johnstone, but financial restrictions under Xia prevented him from doing so.  

3 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

To be fair to Bruce, I think he would have wanted to keep Johnstone, but financial restrictions under Xia prevented him from doing so.  

Johnstone isnt getting rave reviews at rhe albuon. They are conceeding quite a few goals with him between rhe sticks

Just now, hippo said:

Johnstone isnt getting rave reviews at rhe albuon. They are conceeding quite a few goals with him between rhe sticks

I know. He was not that great here either a lot of the time.

But I was solely responding to the post about Bruce not retaining Johnstone, not commenting on his abilities.

2 hours ago, Jareth said:

I think Henry would excel in this league. We've been sheeeeeeeeet defensively, and drawn a ton, but with a sprinkling of va-va-vooom we could have nicked most of those games. It's not like Bruce leaving means we'll be any worse defensively. 

Just worrying a bit over what evidence there is that Henry could make our defence better.

Also the scoring stats are a bit deceptive. We have rarely turned spells of dominance into substantial leads and that’s really how to win matches.

• Like 4