Cyrille Regis

withes_shin

I was gutted at hearing of this today. I have fond memories of going to watch Cyrille play as a teenager. I used to listen to my Dad tell me what a great player he was before he signed for us and I remember him playing for us and thinking what a cracking player he was. RIP mate!

• Like 1

Gutting. There were posters of Cyrille and Dalian all over my childhood bedroom. There was one photo in particular that made me realise Cyrille Regis had MASSIVE thigh muscles. Lucky enough to have been at Hillsborough to see him score on debut in my favourite away game ever. RIP Big Man.

• Like 1

A tough skillful opponent and a player it was a pleasure to see wearing our shirt. Gave his all at Albion, Coventry and with us. Gone way too soon. My thoughts are with his family at this sad time. 

• Like 1

He was past his prime when he came to us but he was still a very good player and a handful for any defender. I think Dalian Atkinson benefited from playing and training alongside him for a couple of years.

It says it all about the man that he is fondly remembered by all the Midlands clubs he played for and that is down to him never giving less than 100% and being a gentleman.

RIP Big man

• Like 4

In many ways he would have been an even better player in today's game, where defending is weaker, offside rule benefiting forwards and the prevalence of one up top. Regis combined pace and power with a good touch, could do the target man stuff but IMO better when facing goal with the ball at his feet. 

I know a couple of people who have met him and they'd all say what a lovely and affable chap he was. RIP. 

• Like 1

Cardiac arrest, at 59 :(

Get yourself checked; especially middle aged guys. You could be in the shape of your life but your heart is nothing to mess around with.

RIP big man. I remember meeting him as a kid when I played for a local club; they had a fundraiser and he came and played. Lovely bloke.

• Like 2

Really sad.  As has been said, he was a trailblazer for the black players to play with/after him.  

There's still a lot of work to be done, but he's had an unfathomable impact on such matters. 

Never met him, don't recall him playing, but I'm still gutted to lose such an ambassador :(

RIP Cyril x

• Like 1

Rare to see a West Midlands player serve soat 4 of our clubs and be held in such esteem - we had the tail end of Cyrilles career  but he did a good for villa at an exciting time under the reigns of big Ron - a true legend of midlands football and a gentleman too . 

‘RIP cyrille - a true footballing midlands legend.

I met him a couple of times over the years. Aside from being a great footballer, and a pioneer, he was a very nice man. Took the time to speak to me and my brother about Villa, and I'll always remember that fondly.

That first Premier League season under Big Ron. Thought we were going to do it, but just fell short. What a season though, and Big Cyrille played his part. I still vividly remember this cool finish against Forest. RIP Big Cyrille.

• Like 1

sad, sad news......I remember Cyrille, when he used to come in to my pub on the Hagley Rd....He was with West Brom and we used to have a bit of Banter.....such a Gent.

A Legend

RIP Big Man.

• Like 4

I met him about ten yrs back . It was in a Chinese take away on Hagley  rd ,I was residing in a hostel at the time , I happened to be passing the take away ,only to see this familiar, large , looking black fella ,waiting to be served . I say ,"is that big Cyrille from back in the day ", he couldn't of been more affable. He still mentioned the Villa with some affection ,but what really touched me was his generosity by insisting in treating me to a delightful duck curry . A really decent man ,who could also play a bit .

rip ,big man .

• Like 4

RIP Big Cyrille

A pioneer for black footballers and a wonderful servant to Midlands football. He was very good when he joined us as well at the beginning of BFR's reign.

I spoke to him once, briefly, probably about 12 years ago. He used to use the gym I went to (in Erdington), and despite being a monster of a man (huge muscles at the time) he was really softly spoken and a gent. 

• Like 1

Â