Cyrille Regis

withes_shin

On 15/01/2018 at 12:01, VILLAMARV said:

Gutting. There were posters of Cyrille and Dalian all over my childhood bedroom. There was one photo in particular that made me realise Cyrille Regis had MASSIVE thigh muscles. Lucky enough to have been at Hillsborough to see him score on debut in my favourite away game ever. RIP Big Man.

Me also. My favourite game involving Cyrille was the 5-2 win at Spurs in 92 when we came back from 2 down and he made our first before hitting home our fifth.   

• Like 2

We will be holding a minute’s applause for our former striker, Cyrille Regis, at our game against Barnsley.

The football world was shocked and saddened this week with news of the death of the popular forward, who was a Midland football icon having played for Aston Villa, West Bromwich Albion, Coventry City and Wolverhampton Wanderers.

Prior to kick-off on Saturday, fans will join together to pay tribute to Regis.

There will also be a minute’s applause on Friday before our Premier League Cup clash with West Brom as our U23s face the Baggies at the Banks’s Stadium.

We will also be holding a ‘Period of Tribute’ on the last home game of the season against Derby County as we remember all those we have lost over the last 12 months.

https://www.avfc.co.uk/News/2018/01/17/minute-applause-cyrille-regis

• Like 3

Lots of folks have been fighting back tears over Cyrille.

Had the WM phone in on on Monday night, Franksy was very close to cracking up and each time his voice wavered he put an advert on or break in the programme.

Got to admit, Cyrille's death has had more of an effect on me then Dalian's or Ugo's.  Not sure if it's because of my age and the fact that it was late 70's that I first started watching football and having a lot of mates who were Baggies fans they all wanted to be Cyrille.  Might also be that Star Soccer used to cover all the local games and you used to get to see more of the local teams than gets covered nowadays.

Also, Cyrille's was one of the first autographs I got when I was younger after going on a school trip to watch the Albion training.

Edited by withes_shin
forgot to say it was mates who were Baggies fans
  • Like 1

Yes, sure there is nothing in it.

What was more upsetting is the totally shambolic way the premier league went about not arranging anything for Cyrille before at the 11th hour leaving up to individual clubs to decide.

Appalling

Â