The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

21 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Why they've never published the decisions they make post-match to me is a missed chance to give much-needed transparency. Explain decisions. Explain the changes in phases of play. They don't want the additional scrutiny, however. VAR is spending minutes on decisions not because it's 100% correct, but they are measuring metrics to disallow goals that didn't really happen 18 months ago. It honestly feels like there's a recent memo to try and disallow more goals. Not to mention the utter absurd hand ball rules they keep changing too.

That we still haven’t heard anything about the SU game absolutely stinks. 

14 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

VAR constantly seems like it’s desperately trying to deny goals. 

While I don't necessarily disagree, you get mass outrage either way. If something is 'close', like was Lenglet foulng him? (ignoring the actual offside aspect) you will get people on both sides complain when the decision they believe should be given isn't given.

Diaby's goal at Burnley and 2 of our goals against Brighton could've been chalked off and there were complaints at the time. Just a point that even when VAR gives goals in grey areas, people will still not be hapy.

22 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Really not sure what AVAR is contributing there. Tis just another voice to muddy the waters based on that. Seems pointless. 

To me it's even worse than that. He clearly thinks it's a foul but doesn't speak up

The AVAR in the Odegaard handball is worse. His contribution is 'yes, i agree'

Villa have been done a few times now...

Penalty against Sheff. Utd, blatant two-handed push in the box on Watkins. Definite pen.

Disallowed goal against Everton, definitely onside. Still a shocking decision.

Same game the challenge/assault from Tarkowski on Diaby; the more I see it, looks like a penalty and card offence. 

Potentially has cost the Villa four points in the PL.

Edited by Zhan_Zhuang

7 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Penalty against Sheff. Utd, blatant two-handed push in the box on Watkins. Definite pen.

Same game the challenge/assault from Tarkowski on Diaby; the more I see it, looks like a penalty and card offence. 

The SU one was the 3rd worst decision in the game. The disallowed goal was clearly a new phase of play and Baldock clearly handballs it.

But the Everton one was offside

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, StefanAVFC said:

The SU one was the 3rd worst decision in the game. The disallowed goal was clearly a new phase of play and Baldock clearly handballs it.

But the Everton one was offside

No way...

The rules are 'clear and obvious', they took over three minutes to make a decision.

Edited by Zhan_Zhuang

1 minute ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

No way...

The rules are 'clear and obvious', they took over three minutes to make a decision.

"clear and obvious" is the worst thing about VAR and always has been

It was offside

6 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

"clear and obvious" is the worst thing about VAR and always has been

It was offside

Certainly wasn't clear and obvious as it took three minutes...

The commentators were speechless with the decision which says a lot, looked level to me...

Edited by Zhan_Zhuang

3 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

The commentators were speechless with the decision which says a lot, looked level to me...

They were speechless because they didn't know what the hell was going on...one line drawn for offside but not the other, then looking at Lenglet either fouling or being in keeper's view, etc, then back to original offside view

45 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

But then, at the same time, get a soft penalty against Burnley (given), don't concede a penalty against Brentford (McGinn for me, others think Konsa should've conceded one).

We tend to only look one way as fans.

54 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

No way...

Clear & Obvious doesn't apply to offsides. It either is or it isn't. 

Edited by PieFacE

1 hour ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

It was clearly offside before they even drew the lines. Everyone was baffled as to why it took so long because it was obvious 

I think Trafford was as soft as a tub of spunk.

There, I said it. He made no attempt to stand his ground. You can argue he's been impeded slightly but he's doing likewise and if it stops keepers doing triple salchows and getting fouls every week for being farted on. Great.

1 hour ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Seeing that angle it looks offside, fair enough..

what you don't see from that angle/screenshot is the point when the ball is being played forward.

Absolutely no idea.

Lines can be drawn at anytime, but if you cant see when the ball is being played forward then it's guess work at best and that imo is why they took 3 minutes 45 seconds to make a decision.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

I think Trafford was as soft as a tub of spunk.

There, I said it. He made no attempt to stand his ground. You can argue he's been impeded slightly but he's doing likewise and if it stops keepers doing triple salchows and getting fouls every week for being farted on. Great.

He was soft but he was still fouled.

2 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

We had enough bad decisions this season without calling correct ones wrong

You cant judge it as offside without seeing both the player in aline and the player who played the ball, when it was played/struck.

On first look, in live play it looked offside, I saw a video from the other side of the pitch and It looked closer.

The real bad decision against Everton was the Diaby leg breaker,  I don't even care the penalty wasn't given its just that a career changing challenge was completely ignored, disgraceful tbh. Saka and Arsenal would have had the whole Everton team sent off for that and the media attention would be huge, we get nothing. 

• Like 1

Â