The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

17 hours ago, bobzy said:

But rugby is - largely - a game of respect all round.

Football is not.  The players are disrepectful, the fans are disrespectful (to the point where they can't even sit together due to stupidity).

Rugby is about as dull as its possible to be in terms of atmosphere and one of the reasons is exactly BECAUSE the fans sit together. 

(Another reason is because it's full of hooray Henry's on an afternoon out with his fellow old uni chaps)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Studs up challenge from Gusto is not upgraded to red. VAR in the mud AGAIN!

They deserve to be in the mud. They have consistently given reds for far less, happily contradicting the on field ref (DCL as one example from many) and they let a really blatant red go. No excuses on this one. Incompetence again.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Studs up challenge from Gusto is not upgraded to red. VAR in the mud AGAIN!

Match of the day crew said a yellow was enough as it wasn't malicous and didn't really hurt him.

For me it was still studs up into the ankle, just cause it didn't severely injure does not men its not a red card, it's rare these days it actually causes the player to go off.

Ohh, an the Burnley keeper was fouled in the Luton game, as good as pushed off the ball and goal was given. In reality not a foul, but these are always seen as fouls. Kompany even said if it was Man U or Liverpool it would have been given as a foul, I totally agree.

Edited by foreveryoung

Just seemed really odd.  I think the problem was the angle that showed the passer of the ball and Bailey was too difficult to draw the lines of the defender, then the better view of the defender didn't show when the ball was being passed.  Then for some reason they decided to look at whether it was a foul, and then whether Lenglet was interfering, then just went back to the original pass after all where you could tell with the naked eye he was offside anyway.

• Like 2

Lines didn't need to be drawn, my pal was watching the game and called the offside striaght away explaning it to me. VARs good, refs diabolical. Independant people in the VAR room has to happen, no the refs who continue to make mistakes on the field of play.

Very close to having a 2nd player having a potential career ending tackle with a scissor and VAR is nowhere to be round 

yet slight gaps like for sterling and nothing challenges like Calvert-Lewis are penalties/reds 

close to be done with it 

They spent quite a long time looking at the second phase of the Moreno goal, the actual shot, what was all that about?

Have to say at that point I thought maybe they were going to give it and that they were looking at the shot to try and desperately find something else to use as an excuse to rule the goal out.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mantis said:

They spent quite a long time looking at the second phase of the Moreno goal, the actual shot, what was all that about?

Have to say at that point I thought maybe they were going to give it and that they were looking at the shot to try and desperately find something else to use as an excuse to rule the goal out.

Yep looked that way to me too. Bizarre 

1 hour ago, StefanAVFC said:

Yep looked that way to me too. Bizarre 

Just posted about it in the general officiating thread, was probably better in here but the transparency is awful. What was that about? We've seen the lines since but at no point did they seem to show that in their workings that we could see or at least couldn't match the pass and where he was when it was played. Then they moved on to something else and spent a while looking at a non issue.

1 hour ago, Mantis said:

The only thing i can think was that they maybe were looking at giving us a penalty if they disallowed the goal. Doesnt make sense either way

How hard can it be?? Put the lines up first, if it's offside it's no goal. But no, they wanna check every detail of play like they haven't even been watching the game.

It's as if almost anyone with a sniff of the rules could sit in the VAR room and chalk off a goal with all the time and info the have. These guys should be at the top of there game. 5 years in an they cannot do this any quicker, it's ludicrous really.

There's things in my job that used to take 10 minutes to do, I have done it lots so takes about a minute now, this is what generally happens. These guys slow the f*** down!!

38 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

VAR constantly seems like it’s desperately trying to deny goals. 

Yep. I've been saying this for ages. Instead of carrying out their remit of overturning "clear and obvious" errors etc, they frequently go out of their way to look for any minor infraction that can be used as an excuse to overturn a goal. I'm convinced that if Bailey was onside they were getting ready to claim that Pickford was somehow being impeded for the goal.

Whole thing is rotten.

57 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

VAR constantly seems like it’s desperately trying to deny goals. 

Why they've never published the decisions they make post-match to me is a missed chance to give much-needed transparency. Explain decisions. Explain the changes in phases of play. They don't want the additional scrutiny, however. VAR is spending minutes on decisions not because it's 100% correct, but they are measuring metrics to disallow goals that didn't really happen 18 months ago. It honestly feels like there's a recent memo to try and disallow more goals. Not to mention the utter absurd hand ball rules they keep changing too.

Â