The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

51 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Ireland vs Serbia, Connolly was taken out in the box but no VAR to look at it. When Ireland play in Portugal later in the group they will have VAR to give a Bruno special

Countries are being punished for being poor in football terms 

I’m not sure it would help Ireland in any case to be honest... 

2 hours ago, Davkaus said:

I think it depends whether you subscribe to the fairly nebulous idea that "these things even themselves out". I can see why it'd feel like the most outrageous thing in the world if a goal is incorrectly given against you due to a lack of technology, then you correctly have one ruled out in another game in the same competition due to different rules being enforced.

The idea that we make the entire tournament fairer by making individual games less fair doesn't really stand up to me though.

Your last sentence is fundamentally wrong though isn't it?

You're making individual games MORE fair. Fairer than the normal. I don't see the issue?

It's like saying we shouldn't use that ref because he's really good and the other games won't be as fair.

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

Ireland vs Serbia, Connolly was taken out in the box but no VAR to look at it. When Ireland play in Portugal later in the group they will have VAR to give a Bruno special

Countries are being punished for being poor in football terms 

This makes no sense to me at all. You're framing it as a "bruno special" as some sort of negative. 

But basically what you're saying is because there was a poor decision in one game, we shouldn't have a correct decision in another game. It doesn't make sense.

This is an argument FOR var, not against it.

21 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Your last sentence is fundamentally wrong though isn't it?

You're making individual games MORE fair. Fairer than the normal. I don't see the issue?

It's like saying we shouldn't use that ref because he's really good and the other games won't be as fair.

Either I've written that  in  a way that doesn't make sense, or you've misunderstood it, because I was agreeing with you. I don't think fairness at a broader level is achieved by removing technology making individual games less fair. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Either I've written that  in  a way that doesn't make sense, or you've misunderstood it, because I was agreeing with you. I don't think fairness at a broader level is achieved by removing technology making individual games less fair. 

Sorry yes I totally misread your post.

I agree with your last sentence 100%

Edited by Stevo985

A nicht 5 minute check last night to reverse a red card into a yellow card in the Copa Del Rey. Yes it was the right decision but we were told VAR would be able to check this information in 30 seconds and wouldnt effect the game time

• Like 1

The decision in our game just goes to show there's not always a black and white right answer in football

When that penalty was given villa fans liked it and Fulham fans didn't 

When VAR overturned it Fulham fans liked it and villa fans didn't 

They wasted 5 minutes putting the shoe on the other foot 

40 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

The decision in our game just goes to show there's not always a black and white right answer in football

When that penalty was given villa fans liked it and Fulham fans didn't 

When VAR overturned it Fulham fans liked it and villa fans didn't 

They wasted 5 minutes putting the shoe on the other foot 

Should have been a spot kick for foul McGinn anyway so karma for us.

It makes you wonder how many controversial decisions on average a season you would get compared to these last few VAR seasons.

My opinion is, Var has got to go, it takes away so many elements of what made football great. 

Hawkeye can stay, but not Var. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, sne said:

Swedish elite clubs and the supporter union have all declared they are against implementing VAR in the Swedish top division Allsvenskan.

The refs organization want it but according to the Swedish FA they will accept the result if the clubs vote against it.

Good stuff.

in fairness this might work a lot better because the refs are on board, the Premier League refs were always against it hence the weekly embarrassment 

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

in fairness this might work a lot better because the refs are on board, the Premier League refs were always against it hence the weekly embarrassment 

Yeah maybe, but the refs in Allsvenskan are awful and the system is flawed. Swedish football also lacks money so I doubt it will be state of the art implementation. 

Refs just want a safety blanked to cover their sloppy efforts.

10 minutes ago, NoelVilla said:

Most stadiums are owned by the municipalities still. Can't see them paying for it if it means extra costs.

Yeah, VAR equipment won't be of any financial use for those every other year Gyllene Tider farewell tour concerts.

Edited by sne
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I still think VAR needs to be assisting referees and linesman’s if they clearly messed up. Not correcting every decision they make.  It probably wasn’t a penalty yesterday but the ref gave it and it took 5 minutes to overturn the decision. So how on earth is that a clear and obvious error ?  If there was no VAR that would be a penalty.   I do think they have improved the amount they are using it in recent weeks though. 

Theres a place for VAR and whilst it may not feel that way it’s better to have it than not.  People are forgetting how often ref’s and linesman ballsed up in games. 

• Like 1

I thought yesterday was another case (and I can't remember the example but it's definitely happened to us at least once before this season) of the referee being asked to go to the monitor and then only being shown the one angle that seems to show the original decision could be wrong but not another angle that made it appear correct, which shows that the VAR was actively looking for a reason to overturn the on-field call rather than just correcting a "clear and obvious" error.

• Like 2

Â