The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

A question, those silly pictures they provide with the dotted lines drawn on, is that literally how they are working out whether it's offside, or is it more advanced than that and that's just a way of showing the viewers at home.

2 hours ago, will87 said:

A question, those silly pictures they provide with the dotted lines drawn on, is that literally how they are working out whether it's offside, or is it more advanced than that and that's just a way of showing the viewers at home.

It's just what they show us at home. They use finer detailed lines to make the decision. Not that I think it makes a whole load of difference.

That's the worst decision this season. The line is wrong, he's clearly onside. What's going on? How can people be paid to be 'experts' and make mistakes every single game day

We’ve come full circle since one of the incidents that helped push forward the idea of introducing VAR when Andre Mariner thought Kieran Gibbs was Oxlade-Chamberlain, it seems the technology doesn’t help improve ‘mistaken identity’ either.

I think at this point the only way VAR is going to work is if it's done automatically with 0 human involvement. The tech isn't there yet and it should be put into the bin until it is. At least if it's all done via some form of algorithm then it removes the stupid human error part to VAR which just makes the whole thing more frustrating.

2 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

I think at this point the only way VAR is going to work is if it's done automatically with 0 human involvement. The tech isn't there yet and it should be put into the bin until it is. At least if it's all done via some form of algorithm then it removes the stupid human error part to VAR which just makes the whole thing more frustrating.

The trouble with doing that is the AI has to look for both when a player is in an offside position and judge when they become ‘active’ to flag. The second is way, way harder for computers to do, the arguments have to be written by humans anyway and real life would keep finding new scenarios it hadn’t accounted for.

Not sure we’ll ever see that.

3 minutes ago, a m ole said:

The trouble with doing that is the AI has to look for both when a player is in an offside position and judge when they become ‘active’ to flag. The second is way, way harder for computers to do, the arguments have to be written by humans anyway and real life would keep finding new scenarios it hadn’t accounted for.

Not sure we’ll ever see that.

Didn't Wenger say it could be in place for the 2022 World Cup or something?

EDIT: Reading the article it's not as I described.

Edited by PieFacE

Â