The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

speechless. i was 100% in the pro VAR camp before it came in. i really think it needs to be scrapped. getting decisions wrong when the game is played at 100mph is forgivable. getting them wrong in slow motion is not

once again, a subjective decision overturned. it's not right.

4 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

VAR needs to remove this 'clear and obvious' error thing. It just adds another grey area. They may as well just say they will check any potential foul in the box. 

i'd actually respect the process more. if they came out and said "yeah, our VARs are just going to re-referee every key decision. clear and obvious is no longer applicable" at least we can say that the process is working as intended. that's a huge source of my frustrations

Just now, tomav84 said:

i'd actually respect the process more. if they came out and said "yeah, our VARs are just going to re-referee every key decision. clear and obvious is no longer applicable" at least we can say that the process is working as intended. that's a huge source of my frustrations

Agreed. It just seems dumb to keep the 'clear and obvious' line when it isn't applied at all. Literally no point in keeping it. Just say they will check every decision and be done with it. 

1 minute ago, LondonLax said:

The best thing about Liverpool getting screwed by VAR is the amount of pressure it will generate to scrap it. 

fair point. people dont give 2 shiny shites about us getting done last weekend. this will be a much bigger discussion point though

I don't get the second penalty for Brighton. Should not that had been a yellow card on the Brighton player for using the underside of his boot on the Plop player rather than a foul on him and a penalty?

Genuinely think that the reason VAR is so shit in England is because the refs are dragging their feet on it so much and almost trying to make it as shit as possible. There doesn't seem to be as much controversy over it in European competitions or at the World Cup.

It's an absolute joke that penalty was given after ours was overturned last week. Also, how come Brighton got to so much added time when we didn't even get our full 4 minutes?

Edited by MessiWillSignForVilla

25 minutes ago, Mantis said:

If that last minute penalty today is a penalty, then so is ours.

It's corrupt.

Yes I think the refs are making a packet out of it.  Only going to watch the Villa games now. Its utter bs. I just watched Morecambe v Solihull on bbc iplayer. Both teams giving their all and no VAR. Cracking game. 

Edited by PaulC

I don't think there is any individual club involved in anything fishy, but it would be interesting to see how the betting is placed on games and number of penalties rewarded and stuff like that.

We have a huge match fixing problem in Sweden, mostly on lower league games and with players getting approached. But it's not that far fetched that one or more refs in the PL has been tapped up by a Asian betting syndicate. 

Or they can just be collectively incompetent as a group which is a more likely reason to why the refs in the PL is constantly in focus for strange and incorrect decisions.

5 minutes ago, sne said:

I don't think there is any individual club involved in anything fishy, but it would be interesting to see how the betting is placed on games and number of penalties rewarded and stuff like that.

We have a huge match fixing problem in Sweden, mostly on lower league games and with players getting approached. But it's not that far fetched that one or more refs in the PL has been tapped up by a Asian betting syndicate. 

Or they can just be collectively incompetent as a group which is a more likely reason to why the refs in the PL is constantly in focus for strange and incorrect decisions.

Yes I can't think of any other explanation.  They cant be that incompetent. 

5 minutes ago, sne said:

That's the crux of it. The standard of officiating is so poor. Others have said that going to VAR invites the referee to overturn it, regardless of 'clear and obvious'. There's no transparancy either. Officials at Stockley Park don't want to undermine and expose how poor the officiating is either. They need to invest in good officials, not armpit offsides and wasting four minutes for every decision with multiple angles that in real-time are not available to officials.

Funny how last week there was almost universal praise for Michael Oliver overturning the penalty against us. Now, because it's Liverpool, far more scrutiny of its terrible application and use appears.

• Like 1

It's broken.

The worst thing for me is that it's not consistent. Inconsistent refereeing is the death of sports.

Fair enough it's wrong a bunch of times despite using TV tech. but the inconsistency is a complete killer. 

Scrap it. I was for it if used correctly, but they have shown they don't know how to.

Scrap it.

Â