The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

14 minutes ago, a-k said:

There is no clear intent (and that's an understatement) and it does not stop a goal-scoring opportunity. Why does it deserve a penalty? The penalty rule was not introduced to give even a 0.01% of a grievance a 99% chance of a goal.

It doesn't deserve a penalty - it's an absolutely garbage decision.

11 hours ago, Adman said:

Ban slow motion, and replay it 5 times.  If you can't see a mistake in the original decision - move on

Exactly this, and even better it should be viewed by the ref themselves on a tablet taken immediately from their back so that it takes less than 30 seconds without anyone telling them (or not) that the decision should be reviewed - i.e., ball goes out of play, "I need to check that myself before I make a decision".

1 hour ago, a-k said:

There is no clear intent (and that's an understatement) and it does not stop a goal-scoring opportunity. Why does it deserve a penalty? The penalty rule was not introduced to give even a 0.01% of a grievance a 99% chance of a goal.

Different topic to VAR really but yes something needs to change here drastically. Even if this is a handball it doesn't even nearly warrant a penalty - indirect free kick at best.

1 hour ago, a-k said:

Because the VAR officials see their primary duty as inserting themselves into the game as much as possible.

40 minutes ago, blandy said:

The recommendations weren’t adopted by UEFA.

Strange. They provided them but then didn't adopt them themselves. Do as we say, not as we do?

In that case,  it still wasn't a handball as his arm wasn't unnaturally making his frame bigger, it was just where it was for balance. Which is the actual rule, and not an interpretation of it.  Still a bizarre decision. But still not one the outcome of which actually bothers me. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Strange. They provided them but then didn't adopt them themselves. Do as we say, not as we do?

In that case,  it still wasn't a handball as his arm wasn't unnaturally making his frame bigger, it was just where it was for balance. Which is the actual rule, and not an interpretation of it.  Still a bizarre decision. But still not one the outcome of which actually bothers me. 

It is strange. The prem did adopt them, but UEFA comps didn’t. In UEFA comps those pens get given more often than not, which is harsh, and it seems even harsher to our eyes as we don’t see them given.

I think it was one where the referee team kind of cracked under the pressure a bit, pressure of scrutiny from above and it being PSG, perhaps. 

• Thanks 1

According to this source the ruling was correct:

Is it a handball if the ball deflects off a player's body?

In the current reading of the rule, yes, a handball is penalised regardless of deflection off another player's or the same player's body. However, some leagues have varying interpretations of the rule, and some are more strict about this than others.

https://tinyurl.com/bdd7vm8p

I assumed otherwise.

No sorrow whatsoever for NUFC but that was corruption pure and simple. It goes on, it especially goes on when the oil boys are playing football, all VARs are fallible given the money they can get. Extra hilarious that it should happen to a Saudi side. Love it. 

• Like 1

VAR or the onfield ref.who made the final decision and he's a top ref. I don't think it's corruption but the pressure on him to give it is massive. So maybe he thought process wasn't as clear as it should have been. 

4 hours ago, a-k said:

This is what I've never got with football.

Why are PSG given a goal for the ball hitting the Newcastle players hand. 

The simple solution is indirect free kicks if outside of the 6 yard box but in the area. 

Surely these skilled players can hit the ball at the defenders arms?

Even if it was actually offside (by 2 millimeters), if you have to use an awkward angle from behind, zoom in onto a grainy image, and take 5 minutes, let the goal stand.

One might say I am biased, but I think that if those were consistently given then fans would not complain

Edited by a-k
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I think today we saw another side of the VAR problem, don't get me wrong we weren't battering them but we had a bit of momentum, we're the better team, scored the second, OK it was offside but the 5 minute break completely killed us, we went flatter than a witches tit

Completwly changed the game 

They need to implement a rule. No decision should take more than 60 seconds, they have the tech for offsides in other leagues. It’s a joke. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, a-k said:

Even if it was actually offside (by 2 millimeters), if you have to use an awkward angle from behind, zoom in onto a grainy image, and take 5 minutes, let the goal stand.

One might say I am biased, but I think that if those were consistently given then fans would not complain

Shouldn’t even be looked at unless the Lino has flagged 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The_Steve said:

They need to implement a rule. No decision should take more than 60 seconds, they have the tech for offsides in other leagues. It’s a joke. 

Yes they should have a countdown clock. Its not clear and obvious if takes that long

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Yes they should have a countdown clock. Its not clear and obvious if takes that long

I see the appeal in theory, but with the state of the decisions they make now,I can only imagine how bad it'd be if they were trying to rush to hit an arbitrary deadline.

If I had it my way I'd bin off the routine checks and only use it for missed incidents or when the ref requests it because they didn't get a good look.

2 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I see the appeal in theory, but with the state of the decisions they make now,I can only imagine how bad it'd be if they were trying to rush to hit an arbitrary deadline.

If I had it my way I'd bin off the routine checks and only use it for missed incidents or when the ref requests it because they didn't get a good look.

Well the theory is if the clock goes to zero its Referees Call

Its not great but the refereeing is so bad. I cant think of a decent ref

I think they should stop looking for angles that show a goal might be offside and instead look for an angle that shows it is onside. Look for reasons to give it, not rule it out. That was at least it would have to be clearly offside in order for it to be disallowed.

7 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

I think they should stop looking for angles that show a goal might be offside and instead look for an angle that shows it is onside. Look for reasons to give it, not rule it out. That was at least it would have to be clearly offside in order for it to be disallowed.

I saw someone make an interesting point that VAR has basically made less goals happen due to insanely tight offsides and replaced them with insanely soft pens that wouldn’t be given and apparently the game is ‘better’ as a result. 

• Like 1

Â