The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

48 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Ramsey was holding the keeper because the Sheffield United defender waa dragging out of him

Which begs the question as to why the officials didn’t ask for another angle to check for that - there’s at least 3 bodies near the keeper. Instead they freeze frame it and remove the context. It was clear a lot of shirt pulling was going on. 

• Like 1

VAR simply had no right to look at Foderingham-Ramsey incident, it was completely out of remit.

"A video assistant referee (VAR) is a match official who may assist the referee to make a decision using replay footage only for a 'clear and obvious error' or 'serious missed incident' relating to a goal/no goal, penalty/no penalty, direct red card (not a second caution) or a case of mistaken identity when the referee cautions or sends off the wrong player of the offending team"

Ramsey foul on Foderingham was literally nothing to do with the goal, it didn't get us possession of the ball or prevent the keeper or defence from stopping the goal. The goal came from a smart bit of play by Watkins/dumb bit of play by Sheff Utd defender.

If you take approach of forensically analysing that foul as a 'goal/no goal' incident, you need to start forensically analysing any corner/throw-in/freekick decision that comes within 10 seconds or so of any goal (to be clear this would be terrible, please don't!). e.g. was the Sheff Utd free kick decision directly before their goal correct? Never really saw proper replay cos they were focusing on the supposed elbow afterwards but it looked more like shirt pulling on Duran to me. And that had a much more direct impact on their goal than Ramsey's foul had on Bailey's goal as it gave them uninterrupted possession which ended with ball in net. 

• Like 1

Football never needed VAR. 

What it needed was officials who were better at their job. 

It's sucking the life out of fans who pay to go to games and ruining the experience. You can't celebrate anything now, as most goals they will try and find a way to rule them out. 

I'd love to see fans take a stand. Both sets get up and leave the stadium if any decision goes to VAR, it would say a thousand words of how we all feel about their shit system. 

• Like 3

Just now, switters said:

VAR simply had no right to look at Foderingham-Ramsey incident, it was completely out of remit.

"A video assistant referee (VAR) is a match official who may assist the referee to make a decision using replay footage only for a 'clear and obvious error' or 'serious missed incident' relating to a goal/no goal, penalty/no penalty, direct red card (not a second caution) or a case of mistaken identity when the referee cautions or sends off the wrong player of the offending team"

Ramsey foul on Foderingham was literally nothing to do with the goal, it didn't get us possession of the ball or prevent the keeper or defence from stopping the goal. The goal came from a smart bit of play by Watkins/dumb bit of play by Sheff Utd defender.

If you take approach of forensically analysing that foul as a 'goal/no goal' incident, you need to start forensically analysing any corner/throw-in/freekick decision that comes within 10 seconds or so of any goal (to be clear this would be terrible, please don't!). e.g. was the Sheff Utd free kick decision directly before their goal correct? Never really saw proper replay cos they were focusing on the supposed elbow afterwards but it looked more like shirt pulling on Duran to me. And that had a much more direct impact on their goal than Ramsey's foul had on Bailey's goal as it gave them uninterrupted possession which ended with ball in net. 

They also ignored their own rules on phases of play - the defence had time to rest after they ran the ball outside of the their penalty area - the goalkeeper wasn’t impeded either. They lost the ball and we are punished. Does that happen to Liverpool, Arsenal or City? Probably not. They aren’t even capable of enforcing their own rules which is beyond frustrating. Totally robbed us. 

3 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

They also ignored their own rules on phases of play - the defence had time to rest after they ran the ball outside of the their penalty area - the goalkeeper wasn’t impeded either. They lost the ball and we are punished. Does that happen to Liverpool, Arsenal or City? Probably not. They aren’t even capable of enforcing their own rules which is beyond frustrating. Totally robbed us. 

Check the rules, attacking phase is still active if the ball is in/around the penalty area.

1 minute ago, Genie said:

Check the rules, attacking phase is still active if the ball is in/around the penalty area.

Unai called it out too. They had the ball outside their box - the rule focuses on the ability of the defence to "reset" and it was very clear to me that Sheff United had no problem eventually doing so. It's on them for losing the ball. There's a big gap between the corner and the goal. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

Football never needed VAR. 

What it needed was officials who were better at their job. 

It's sucking the life out of fans who pay to go to games and ruining the experience. You can't celebrate anything now, as most goals they will try and find a way to rule them out. 

I'd love to see fans take a stand. Both sets get up and leave the stadium if any decision goes to VAR, it would say a thousand words of how we all feel about their shit system. 

It's not the system though chap, it's the referee's controlling it, the referee's who couldn't make the right decisions before we had the system.

Before VAR they were making wrong decisions, not because they missed them, because they were just incompetent.

Now it's just the same referee's making the same incompetent decisions in the VAR room. It was never gonna change.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

In the end these are still the refs in the VAR room that were making the mistakes prior to VAR. The ref against Brentford was facing the Ben Mee red card foul and called it a yellow. This is a example, if he was in VAR, it would have still been a yellow. Independent team in the VAR room is what we need. If you can't call a red card when you are directly looking at the incident on pitch, you aint gonna call in on VAR. Also 99% of referees think just because they see it on a video screen, they must be right, I.e everytime they go to the screen they change there mind, something Webb needs to look at.

I’d rather have one ref responsible for making mistakes than 3 of them all with their own opinions. 

As you say the ref was right next to the Mee challenge and on his own probably gives a red but give a yellow and let VAR look at it means he can make mistake and is happy to side on caution. Problem being is that sometimes VAR then says it isn’t clear and obvious and bad decisions continue. 

I would be interested to know how many straight reds have been given by refs this season without VAR.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Nicho said:

I’d rather have one ref responsible for making mistakes than 3 of them all with their own opinions. 

As you say the ref was right next to the Mee challenge and on his own probably gives a red but give a yellow and let VAR look at it means he can make mistake and is happy to side on caution. Problem being is that sometimes VAR then says it isn’t clear and obvious and bad decisions continue. 

I would be interested to know how many straight reds have been given by refs this season without VAR.

To be fair, Refs should be getting boll**ings for VAR changing or reviewing missed decisions. Without VAR, they must have been missing hundreds. It should be making referees better, not more dependent in VAR.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

To be fair, Refs should be getting boll**ings for VAR changing or reviewing missed decisions. Without VAR, they must have been missing hundreds. It should be making referees better, not more dependent in VAR.

Nail on head. Instead, it's a reliance and "we'll wait for VAR to confirm" rather than using the system for egregious errors, which it is supposed to be for.

• Like 1

Another massive flaw of VAR is how subjective it is. 

People have different views and opinions on incidents. 

One of you could sit in that room, watch back something and have a total opposite view to myself but it's the same thing we are looking at. 

Last night, a different person in front of VAR could have deemed the foul on Watkins a penalty. 

It's total pot luck. We've been given decisions by VAR that I've seen and thought 'we've got lucky here' and it shouldn't be like that. The system should be fool proof but they seem to make the rules up as they go along,

I've watched football for over 30 years now and I have no idea anymore what the handball rule is. Last night, their player literally used his arm to bat the ball away, yet nothing is given?! 

I fear what they will try to implement next. 

9 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Absolutely agree. 

Â