One For The Road

18 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

Honestly along with being subject to humiliating comebacks multiple times a season things like this are supremely embarrassing for us.

Its really not that bad, have only been in the same division about 5 seasons in the last 40 years

We smashed them at home in 2010, Heskey scored 😂

If I were a Burnley fan I wouldn't be expecting an automatic return given the owners (who borrowed money against the club to even buy them) are desperately trying to reduce the debt they have piled onto the club, the loan used to buy them was interest free whilst in the Premier league, now they have gone down they have to pay it back in one go which is more than the £49million in parachute payments they will get next season

On 23/05/2022 at 11:22, Mark Albrighton said:

Now that Burnley are relegated, who is the top flight team that are widely viewed as “the cloggers”? The club who evoke a “what are they doing here? They never do anything*” unfashionable vibe? 

Fulham and to a lesser extent Bournemouth have the same vibe as Norwich and Watford, not quite the same “clogger” feel about them, plus they frequently don’t outstay their welcome.

I’m asking this in the belief (hope) it’s not us. Southampton, maybe?

For what it’s worth, similar to Hanoi above, I don’t mind having an unfashionable club or two in the league. Adds a bit of texture.

* it’s open to interpretation what “anything” is.

West Ham, they kicked us all over the pitch. As for Spurs labelling us, watch the last 10 minutes of our game with them,  time wasting at every opportunity, unbelievable gamesmanship from them, fair play to em, stones and glass houses don't mix. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, tinker said:

West Ham, they kicked us all over the pitch. As for Spurs labelling us, watch the last 10 minutes of our game with them,  time wasting at every opportunity, unbelievable gamesmanship from them, fair play to em, stones and glass houses don't mix. 

I suppose by “clogger” I mean it in a wider sense than just the physical side of their play. 

When I see Burnley referred to as that, I feel like it’s also meant “…and what are they doing in this league? They don’t bring anything to it. Just plod along.” They’re “clogging up” the league by their very presence. Just the way I read it, anyway.

So, in terms purely of the stature of the club, not their style of play, I can conceive of people one day considering Brentford to be like that. At the moment they have a lot of good will because people are enjoying their style of play, they have a pluckiness about them. But I can easily imagine a scenario where they’ve finished 10th-16th for a few years, and people start to have an “Urgh…Brentford” reaction to them.

I think it’s fair to say we had that vibe before we were relegated. 

• Like 3

They should have just appointed Jackson as permanent manager, he didnt do that bad for them and in the championship i think a manager like him would do better than Kompany. I dont know, i camt see that move working out, its a strange one.

19 hours ago, Villatillidie95 said:

They should have just appointed Jackson as permanent manager, he didnt do that bad for them and in the championship i think a manager like him would do better than Kompany. I dont know, i camt see that move working out, its a strange one.

It could benefit both parties. Kompany is still learning his trade and can continue to do so in the championship. He has done reasonably well at Anderlecht. Burnley can benefit from the ‘big name coach’, something we are currently experiencing as well.

5 hours ago, AXD said:

It could benefit both parties. Kompany is still learning his trade and can continue to do so in the championship. He has done reasonably well at Anderlecht. Burnley can benefit from the ‘big name coach’, something we are currently experiencing as well.

you make some good points, i suppose we will see come the new season! they have a lot of players out of contract but i reckon they could keep quite a few out of the squad and get some more hardworking cloggers needed for the championship. A few of their forward players will go for good championship money and they will have parachute payments so i expect them to make a good go of it and to be around the top 6 for the majority of the season. Vydra as always is immense in the championship

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

he was playing in a shit team to be fair. wouldn't mind him for us

Just the arrogance of him made me laugh, “clearly” he’s too good for the Championship… it’s not that clear tbf. 

Now i’m hoping nobody picks him up and we get to see him beat Mitrovic’s record.

On 12/06/2022 at 10:28, Genie said:

Just the arrogance of him made me laugh, “clearly” he’s too good for the Championship… it’s not that clear tbf. 

Now i’m hoping nobody picks him up and we get to see him beat Mitrovic’s record.

His goalscoring record was pretty good in Bundesliga so he'll probably go back there to Frankfurt or someone like that.

I get the feeling he wasn't very popular in Burnley's dressing room so they won't be sorry to see him go given Conor Roberts was getting in his face at final whistle basically saying he should've done that a bit more often for Burnley!

I really do hope Burnley don't yoyo back up to the Premier league. Too many claret and blue clubs as there is And I feel Burnley really did try to steal our identity when we got relegated. 

Don't want them back. 

• Like 1

Burnley have appointed former Manchester City captain Vincent Kompany as manager.

The Belgian, 36, was in charge at Anderlecht for two years before leaving by mutual consent in May, having led them to third the Belgian top flight.

Burnley sacked Sean Dyche in April and replaced him with interim boss Mike Jackson, who was unable to prevent relegation from the Premier League.

"I'm excited by the challenge ahead," Kompany said.

"Burnley Football Club is a truly historic English side and it is an honour to be appointed first-team manager.

"I've been impressed by the board's vision for the club which aligns with my own and I look forward to playing my part as we enter an important season."

Link

Â